XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Legacy (IDS) not opening

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Legacy (IDS) not opening

Hello All!
I have searched this topic and have yet to find the answer. It has been discussed, but not resolved...that I could find.

First off, I have a 1995 XJ12, which is an X305. I have placed this topic in X300 hoping to get more exposure. I have an HP G62 32 bit laptop running Windows XP Pro and Internet Explorer 8. After a clean install of Windows I loaded SDD version 138. The interface module is a DA-VINA 2534. I selected the DA-VINA because it is one of the few that will work back to 1995.

When everything is plugged in, the software indicates that the DA-VINA is plugged in. As this vehicle is older, the software cannot detect the VIN; this is expected. I key in the VIN, the software correctly states that SDD will not work and to click on the link to go to IDS. When I click the link, the IDS splash screen opens for an instant and goes away...and that's it. I can't get past this point. I have tried running tabman.exe directly from Windows Explorer, but the same thing happens.

I am at a loss! Has anyone solved this problem yet?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Old 03-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

I have the exact same problem and I haven't found any solution.
I ended up buying the old IDS but the mongoose adapter doesn't be recognized on it.

it's super annoying that nobody seems to give any answers on how to get this thing to work correctly.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Default IDS system or software

Originally Posted by smgdata
I have the exact same problem and I haven't found any solution.
I ended up buying the old IDS but the mongoose adapter doesn't be recognized on it.

it's super annoying that nobody seems to give any answers on how to get this thing to work correctly.
When you say IDS, did you buy the old IDS software or a complete IDS system?

Old 03-09-2016, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Hello Engineer,

I have a years-old generic OBDII scanner that reads and clears the P codes just fine on the XJ12. Were you attempting to dig deeper into the ECU or other areas, or are you troubleshooting a problem?

The software of these old cars is about as capable as a Windows PC in 1995. Not very!

Old 03-09-2016, 01:05 AM

I have the IDS software.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Default Diggin' Deeper

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Hello Engineer,

I have a years-old generic OBDII scanner that reads and clears the P codes just fine on the XJ12. Were you attempting to dig deeper into the ECU or other areas, or are you troubleshooting a problem?

The software of these old cars is about as capable as a Windows PC in 1995. Not very!
Hi Sleek!
I want to dig deeper into the various controllers. I am assuming I can see the potentiometers for the seats and steering column.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:12 PM

I have the IDS software.
What IDS version do you have?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by Engineer1
First off, I have a 1995 XJ12, which is an X305. After a clean install of Windows I loaded SDD version 138. The interface module is a DA-VINA 2534. I selected the DA-VINA because it is one of the few that will work back to 1995.
He is trying to use SDD138.

I personally don't think any of the SDD versions will read a 1995MY Jaguar but I don't know. The original IDS with VCM probably will.

I can communicate with 1995 XJ6 with my WDS but I have not worked on an XJ12 in YEARS!!!!!!!!

bob

Old 03-10-2016, 07:09 PM

I have
I got it on eBay a couple months back.
jlr part 11 22_97 18.5e I was able to install it get it running and I have no tool to communicate with the car with.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:44 PM

I have
SDD 118.5 is too early for Mongoose.

The 118.5 software was used with a VCM and a laptop.

I think Mongoose started with 128 or 129 (something like that).

bob

Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
He is trying to use SDD138.

I personally don't think any of the SDD versions will read a 1995MY Jaguar but I don't know. The original IDS with VCM probably will.

I can communicate with 1995 XJ6 with my WDS but I have not worked on an XJ12 in YEARS!!!!!!!!

bob
I agree that SDD will not work with older vehicles. IDS (legacy) is supposed to launch from within SDD. It seems that the various versions of the legacy program does not run. It begins to boot...then stops! The attached file from Jag shows that SDD should work with X300.

It sounds like you have solved this issue by using WDS. Can WDS software be loaded on a generic laptop?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JAB00007UK.pdf (103.3 KB, 462 views)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:00 PM

I have
I got it on eBay a couple months back.
jlr part 11 22_97 18.5e I was able to install it get it running and I have no tool to communicate with the car with.
To make sure I understand, you have the software but no hardware to interface between the car and the laptop? Is the disk you purchased a genuine Jaguar disk?

Old 03-10-2016, 09:30 PM

IDS will load onto any laptop running Windows XP PRO Service Pack 2.
Back in 2006 I had a Pentium III 900mhz Toshiba XP PRO with DVD43, DVD101, DVD102 and DVD103 (upgraded in succession). I used the Jag shop VCM with my Toshiba instead of the Panasonic TOUGHBOOK. It worked FINE as long as the Toshiba and ToughBook used the same version of DVD IDS. (The VCM did not care what laptop was used)

WDS will load onto a laptop (maybe) but the Vehicle Communication Module is BUILT-INTO the Genrad GDS 3500 PTU of WDS. They are a unit, the front is a Pentium I 233mhz computer and the back half is a VCM.

Legacy IDS on SDD138 will probably NOT recognize a VIN from an X300.

SDD 118.5 will NEED a VCM and a laptop with USB port. A Mongoose will not support software older than a certain version (128 I THINK??)

Engineer1, Your SDD is likely TOO late of a version for the X300.
smgdata, You need a VCM between your laptop and the vehicle.

Both of you could use a WDS for all Jaguars 1995/96 up to about 2007MY.
You could also use a PDU (if you can find a working unit) for 1990 to 2001MY Jaguars.

bob

The following users liked this post:
Engineer1 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 03:51 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

If you have a J2534 device (i.e. MongoosePro, DA-VINA) then the oldest version of IDS/SDD you can use is V125, and the most commonly used from that period is V125.03 since that was the last version that you could run IDS independently of SDD (just copy the Tabman.exe link to the desktop and you have IDS).

BUT

IDS V125.03 with a J2534 interface still has some issues, namely a bug in reading DTC's, often IDS will crash when you try to read the codes. The way around this is to start SDD (so the front page is open) and then start IDS.

But there are some other traps too. For example you MUST use an older version of Java (not the latest, it's incompatible), you need to disable the SDD updates or it will lock out, and so on...

Don't waste your time with cheap Chinese clone of Mongoose or DA-VINA, they are junk, and if they fail at the wrong time (and they will fail) you could be left with a very large paperweight of a vehicle.

For working on an X300 (or X305) you really want to use a VCM, and the last version of IDS as a standalone, which is V118.5.

Or use a WDS. Or a PDU...

Yes they are not cheap, yes they are hard to find, but they are the only reliable options for vehicles of that era. Forget what you read about the latest versions and interfaces being compatible, they're not. The JLR Diagnostic Team does not care about these old cars. For JLR Diagnostics a "heritage vehicle" is pre-2010, post 2005. Yep, really...

Anything prior to 2005 they don't care about anymore. So you need to use old software/equipment on old cars if you want something to work reliably.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cambo:
Engineer1 (03-15-2016), Jagboi64 (03-19-2016), motorcarman (03-12-2016), sparkenzap (03-12-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Cambo is correct.
We used to keep one of our SDD units back to just before SDD2 came out, but in later versions the VCM would have to reload the code every time you switched.
We can use the latest SDD version with a 1995 XJS (just did it last week), but a VCM is needed. Mongoose is best used on vehicles with PanPAG and later ECUs.

If you have the software, just reload the whole thing. It's not that difficult. It will take you longer to figure out why it doesn't load, than just starting fresh.
IDS/SDD gets slogged down after a while, and can become unpredictable.

I reload all our SDDs completely once every few years; sometimes earlier if there's unpredictable behavior.

Engineer1 (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
If you have a J2534 device (i.e. MongoosePro, DA-VINA) then the oldest version of IDS/SDD you can use is V125, and the most commonly used from that period is V125.03 since that was the last version that you could run IDS independently of SDD (just copy the Tabman.exe link to the desktop and you have IDS).

BUT

IDS V125.03 with a J2534 interface still has some issues, namely a bug in reading DTC's, often IDS will crash when you try to read the codes. The way around this is to start SDD (so the front page is open) and then start IDS.

But there are some other traps too. For example you MUST use an older version of Java (not the latest, it's incompatible), you need to disable the SDD updates or it will lock out, and so on...

Don't waste your time with cheap Chinese clone of Mongoose or DA-VINA, they are junk, and if they fail at the wrong time (and they will fail) you could be left with a very large paperweight of a vehicle.

For working on an X300 (or X305) you really want to use a VCM, and the last version of IDS as a standalone, which is V118.5.

Or use a WDS. Or a PDU...

Yes they are not cheap, yes they are hard to find, but they are the only reliable options for vehicles of that era. Forget what you read about the latest versions and interfaces being compatible, they're not. The JLR Diagnostic Team does not care about these old cars. For JLR Diagnostics a "heritage vehicle" is pre-2010, post 2005. Yep, really...

Anything prior to 2005 they don't care about anymore. So you need to use old software/equipment on old cars if you want something to work reliably.
I have a DA-VINA that came from China, but I think they all came from China! They "said" they were the original manufacturer of the device, but... I also have a VCM. I didn't go down the Mongoose path as JLR says it will not work on an X300.

Your comment regarding V125 being the last version that the Legacy IDS version works just blows me away! I don't understand why the software carries the IDS section, but it doesn't work! I can attest to the fact that 138, 139, and 141 running on Windows XP Pro would not work. I tried everything and I couldn't get IDS to work, but SDD was fine! I just recently got 118 and it runs on the laptop. I will soon be trying it with the DA-VINA and the VCM.

I didn't know that 125 is the newest version of SDD that works with DA-VINA and Mongoose. I thought I had seen Mongoose shipping 143.

I didn't follow your comment regarding IDS in 125 versus in 118. Is the last version that IDS runs standalone 125 or 118?

You suggested to use a VCM with my X300. Shouldn't a DA-VINA also work? I know it was recommended by JLR back in the day.

And I agree with you that any of the OEMs couldn't care less about vehicles that are older than the warranty is long!

Thank you for your help!

smgdata (03-16-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ServiceMasterD
Cambo is correct.
We used to keep one of our SDD units back to just before SDD2 came out, but in later versions the VCM would have to reload the code every time you switched.
We can use the latest SDD version with a 1995 XJS (just did it last week), but a VCM is needed. Mongoose is best used on vehicles with PanPAG and later ECUs.

If you have the software, just reload the whole thing. It's not that difficult. It will take you longer to figure out why it doesn't load, than just starting fresh.
IDS/SDD gets slogged down after a while, and can become unpredictable.

I reload all our SDDs completely once every few years; sometimes earlier if there's unpredictable behavior.
Hi ServiceMaster!
To make sure I understand, you are saying that you are running the latest version of SDD (143?) and it is able to launch IDS through a VCM? What version of Windows are you running?

I have reloaded 138, 139, and 141 multiple times, including reformatting the hard drive twice. No dice! I am wondering if the later versions of SDD require a later version of Windows.

Thank you for your help!

Old 03-17-2016, 05:16 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I have a DA-VINA that came from China, but I think they all came from China! They "said" they were the original manufacturer of the device, but... I also have a VCM. I didn't go down the Mongoose path as JLR says it will not work on an X300.
If you bought a DA-VINA from anyone else than Diagnostic Associates directly, or Bosch Service Solutions, at a much cheaper price than they sell one for, then it's not a genuine device, and all bets are off as to the function and reliability.

Genuine MongoosePro will "work" with an X300, but there are some limitations to what it can do. And this also depends if you are talking about a 6-cylinder X300, or a V12 X305. The engine management systems are different in those cars.

Your comment regarding V125 being the last version that the Legacy IDS version works just blows me away! I don't understand why the software carries the IDS section, but it doesn't work!
Well let me a little more specific. V125.03 was the last version of SDD where you could launch legacy IDS without running SDD first. On later versions you have to launch SDD first, get told your VIN was invalid when trying an automatic read, then manually typing in the VIN, being told the car is too old and then SDD launches Legacy IDS for you.

I can attest to the fact that 138, 139, and 141 running on Windows XP Pro would not work. I tried everything and I couldn't get IDS to work, but SDD was fine!
The problem is that in later versions post V125 you have to get SDD to launch IDS, and that's where it seems to fall over for you.

I just recently got 118 and it runs on the laptop. I will soon be trying it with the DA-VINA and the VCM.
DA-VINA (and any other J2534 device) will not work with IDS or SDD prior to V124. Don't even bother trying. VCM is the only device that works prior to V124.

I didn't know that 125 is the newest version of SDD that works with DA-VINA and Mongoose. I thought I had seen Mongoose shipping 143.
No you have misunderstood something here. Any J2534 device will work with SDD from V124 onwards. J2534 devices do not work with earlier versions.

See the next answer:

I didn't follow your comment regarding IDS in 125 versus in 118. Is the last version that IDS runs standalone 125 or 118?
V125.03 is the last version that will launch IDS without needing to open SDD first. V118.5 is the last version of IDS before SDD.

You suggested to use a VCM with my X300. Shouldn't a DA-VINA also work? I know it was recommended by JLR back in the day.
DA-VINA will only work with an X300 when using SDD V124 or later, because that's when the J2534 drivers were added.

VCM is fully functional with an X300 (as functional as is possible) but DA-VINA, MongoosePro, JLR VCI, Bosch iView, all have some limitations.

Of course i am referring to GENUINE devices, if you use clones then who knows what they can or can't do...

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
Engineer1 (03-20-2016), motorcarman (03-17-2016), sparkenzap (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Thanks for all that, Cambo!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

The latest version of SDD is 145. It works fine with VCM.
All factory SDDs are currently Win 7.
The older CF-18s were XP.
I have my own personal SDD with Win XP and the last version of SDD1 (131.03) loaded. I have loaded later versions on XP, and it works as well.

I would recommend at minimum Windows 7.

Engineer1 (03-20-2016)