General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Traction Control usage. Do you ever switch it off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Traction Control usage. Do you ever switch it off?

Just curious. On my XK8 the Traction Control is on by default. I am developing a habit of turning it off when I drive (Sunny California roads).

Is there any advantage to leaving it on? Any disadvantages? Why would they make it optional? Why not just make it permanent?

Old 07-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I've found sometimes when on glare ice, the traction control gets in the way of being able to move, unless you turn it off. In general, I leave it on all the time, unless I find it is definitely getting in the way, in which I might turn it off for a minute or so.

I'm not sure about your 2001 XK, but most modern Jag's do not have a limited slip differential (LSD) which does a far better job of putting the power out to both wheels before traction control needs to start applying brakes to a slipping wheel. In really slippery conditions I personally don't think the Jag's traction control works anywhere near as well without LSD than my prior 'vette did (which did have a LSD).

Old 07-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The only time I turn it off is in conditions where driver-induced and controlled wheel slip is an advantage, like in deep snow.

Pavement and wheel slip are usually not a good combo.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

The proper procedure is to turn off during any slick conditions to regain proper control for wheelspin, so that the engine does not falter and create a slide. Most trained or experienced drivers will turn off traction control. Most track day instructors mandate it be on until they see how you handle car. With multiple track day instructions and SCCA PDX behind me, along with 50 yrs driving experience, I turn off the control when I feel spirited and usually do not bother for regular driving. Just remember the traction control will keep you under control to an extent in driving spirited, but not a full insurance for insufficient control.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

When I had my XJR/6 (which had both LSD and TC) I always left the TC on unless, as mentioned by others, I was on near-zero-traction surfaces.....as the system wouldn't allow the car to move otherwise

Of course, if I wanted to *intentionally* light up the tires or slide thru a corner I'd switch the system off.

(That latter bit....sliding thru corners.... is something that requires some thought and discretion....and lots of room. If a 4200 pound sedan gets wild it isn't always easy to reel it back in!)

On the whole I think TC is useful feature.

One little bonus was using TC as an ice/ traction detection device. If unsure about road surface, give the throttle a goose. If the TC kicks in, you know you have a low traction surface.

Cheers
DD