Sponsored by:

Red Warning Light for a fraction of a second before Amber ASC

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Red Warning Light for a fraction of a second before Amber ASC

Hi Guys,

Mind if I bounce this one off you? I'm at a loss on several levels.

When I take really aggressive turns and pull some g's with the Traction Control on, I sometimes see a really brief flash of the Red warning light (maybe a 1/10 of a second?) before the Amber ASC flashes on and warns me of a bit of tire slippage. The amber ASC doesn't concern me, I would expect some tire slipping at these speeds in such a tight turn. It would certainly be a controlled drift with the Traction control turned off.

Since I'm piloting this 2 ton cat around a corner, I can't really concentrate on the message associated with the Red warning light. I just have a chance to register the Red flash, then it is gone. You would have to have your eyes glued to the display without a turned steering wheel's airbag in the way.

It just happened today on a left turning curve. While there is no performance deterioration, the Red light concerns me. Rather than ignoring it, I figured I'd ask: Did this ever happen to you?

Hypothetically could the latteral momentum of such a hard turn trigger one of the micro switches for that fraction of a second (door open, Hood open, Trunk open)?

I am sure my coolant is full, but let me think out loud: Doesn't the low coolant light stay lit for a bit in all cases once it is triggered? In other words it can not flash on/off in a fraction of a second by design. (just trying to eliminate what I can)

Is there anything with respect to traction control on a normal (without CATs) suspension XK8 that could trigger a red warning? I can't think of anything except the brake sensor and that's working fine.

These warnings are not stored anywhere, right? If you can think of any way to get a reading on the message, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 09-15-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I have had the condition you describe happen once or twice. Both times it was after an extended high speed run (speed limit plus a bit), leaving the highway and making a brisk turn at the end of the exit ramp.

Both lights went away quickly and since there were no other symptoms, I ignored it. I have put on several thousand miles since then and no issues.

Just my experience and not a technical answer to your question.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (09-15-2015)