General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

trailering an 06 xk8

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default trailering an 06 xk8

Hi, I'm about to trailer my 06 to Florida behind my motorhome. I have a 22 ft enclosed car hauler with tie downs installed in the floor. Has any one ever done this? And if so where would I attach my tow straps to the chasis. I've yet to look under the car to see if there are any places to safely attach the tow straps without creating any damage to the chassis I would be using 2" heavy duty straps which I have secured other vehicles for towing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks steve

Old 10-04-2015, 04:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Jaguar use the front and rear towing eyes for tying down vehicles during shipping so this has to be the factory recommended attachment points:

trailering an 06 xk8-towing-eyes.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

There should be one towing eye in the toolkit - the other is discarded by dealers during PDI.

The following warning is given in the Driver's Handbook:

If the vehicle is being transported on a trailer or vehicle flat bed transporter, the parkbrake must be applied, the wheels chocked and the gear selector lever moved to position ‘N’ or ‘D’ but NEVER to ‘P’. The vehicle must be securely tied down to the transporter or trailer.

I'm not sure why the transmission should not be in 'P' unless there is considered to be a risk of breaking the transmission parking pawl if the vehicle moves.

Graham

Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG

***Deletia***

If the vehicle is being transported on a trailer or vehicle flat bed transporter, the parkbrake must be applied, the wheels chocked and the gear selector lever moved to position ‘N’ or ‘D’ but NEVER to ‘P’. The vehicle must be securely tied down to the transporter or trailer.

I'm not sure why the transmission should not be in 'P' unless there is considered to be a risk of breaking the transmission parking pawl if the vehicle moves.

Graham
Exactly right. As the car shifts forward or rearward during traveling, the minor movement pushes or pulls against the pawl that locks the tranny. So, basically, you're depending on a wedge about an inch wide and 1/4-1/2" deep to prevent the car from moving.

Alternative way of tying down is to use tire tie-downs (you've seen them on cars on the back of transporters); this lets the car ride on its own suspension and puts no stress on the body work or shell of the car.

Wheel Nets, Car Tie Downs, Tow Dolly Straps & Car Trailer Straps

I like this way the best, if the truth be told. I'd also add two more diagonal straps across the back to keep from shifting from side to side.

(yeah, that's mine...on its way to the body shop in 2008...)

Last edited by bdboyle; 10-05-2015 at 10:25 AM.