General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

WDS ghost disc

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I have the 3 CDs you will need to load the Jaguar software.
CD2 (Ghost CD)
CD42a
CD43

This is the latest and LAST software release from Jaguar.

bob gauff
Bob,

Does WDS software install and run on any pre Win7 PC/laptop or is it dependent on and locked to Jaguar/Ford specific hardware?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 7,873 Likes on 4,760 Posts

The software is only used on the WDS for the GENRAD 3500 PTU. It is a widows 98 based computer with Vehicle Communication Interface hardware built in.

The software will load onto a laptop or other computer but is completely useless without the interface hardware.

PC-Based Service Tool

Diagnostic tool combines instrumentation, electronic manuals | Diesel Progress North American Edition | Find Articles

bob gauff

Old 01-14-2012, 09:35 AM
GGG

The software is only used on the WDS for the GENRAD 3500 PTU. It is a widows 98 based computer with Vehicle Communication Interface hardware built in.

The software will load onto a laptop or other computer but is completely useless without the interface hardware.

PC-Based Service Tool

Diagnostic tool combines instrumentation, electronic manuals | Diesel Progress North American Edition | Find Articles

bob gauff
Bob,

Not exactly portable - no one's going to carry one of them out of the workshop in their holdall

Presumably the interface is a similar arrangment to my AutoEnginuity where there's additional hardware in the link cable between OBD connector and the USB connector?

Graham

Old 01-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Bob,

Not exactly portable - no one's going to carry one of them out of the workshop in their holdall

Presumably the interface is a similar arrangment to my AutoEnginuity where there's additional hardware in the link cable between OBD connector and the USB connector?

Graham
Actually, the PTU is more of an antique in a hardware sense. The cables have no hardware other than a switch in each voltage probe for acknowledging screens during guided diagnostics. If the WDS case is opened it splits in half, and the device portion is sort of like the laptop and the other half is the vehicle interface hardware. There is no USB to it other than a very early connector on the docking station that was ultimately never used.

Cheers,

Old 01-14-2012, 02:31 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Actually, the PTU is more of an antique in a hardware sense. The cables have no hardware other than a switch in each voltage probe for acknowledging screens during guided diagnostics. If the WDS case is opened it splits in half, and the device portion is sort of like the laptop and the other half is the vehicle interface hardware. There is no USB to it other than a very early connector on the docking station that was ultimately never used.

Cheers,
Wow! Spend £millions on development and then support the vehicles with a tool that's already a generation out of date. Not suprised the dealers kept it out of site

Thanks,
Graham

Old 01-14-2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Wow! Spend £millions on development and then support the vehicles with a tool that's already a generation out of date. Not suprised the dealers kept it out of site

Thanks,
Graham
I can't vouch for everyone, but we by no means kept it out of site. It may have been sort of outdated hardware, but it worked and was the best way to diagnose, configure and communicate with the vehicle. We have two here at the store and I keep them both up and running. There are just some things that the newer IDS/SDD can't do on the older cars.

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
GGG (01-14-2012), thomas1a (09-13-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xjrguy, not sure if you saw my reply on the previos page with my email address. Here it is again: mmalz@halfmoontechnologies.com

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by ttmustang; 01-15-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 AM

A Pentuim I 233mhz running Windows 98 is the computer part and it was introduced around 1999 so I don't think it was 'A generation out of date'. (Pentium II was just coming out)

Windows NT was the only other operating system 'up to date' at that time!!!!

The WDS was 'retired' in 2006 and replaced with a Windows XP laptop.

I would say that they are 'keeping pace' with technology.

bob gauff

Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile WDS Jagaur disk needed.

The CDs (Jaguar 'ghost', 42A, 43 and Ford A6) are in the post. I had to fill out a Customs Form and listed the package as Documents. You should get the envelope soon.

bob gauff
Hello!
I see this forum is out of date now, but will try.......
I have a WDS Ford USA but disk is damaged (Have few other empty including a SDD). I have few Jaguars (2 coming from San Antonio TX) and Daimler and I am looking for All CD for Jaguar. No problem to pay for them. I am in the South France, but I have an address in Houston TX 77043 if this is better. Or I could load Disk Img., ISO etc. wich will be better.
Please let me know if you can help me in some ways.
Sincerly,
Claude

Old 06-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by steadicam
So motorcarman, The disks arrived thank you sooo much! If I want to load the disks for jag only what is the installation order? Also do you know if there is a way to reset the setup password on the bios?

Thanks
Hello! To reset the BIOS password, press ESC or DEL (can try F8 and F10). The password for the BIOS is: dmwhjw (Almost for Ford), then into BIOS makre the change for another one.
Hope this help.
Regards
Claude

The following users liked this post:
thomas1a (05-19-2022)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 AM

...iam finally got my hands on an Ford WDS System wich will arrive at the end on the next week... I need the Jaguar WDS mainly so i also have to try to find me the
CD2 (Ghost CD), CD42a and CD43;

Where is the HDD located? ..in the tablet unit or in the main box?! ...i think i will also make me a hdd swap option then...

Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by thomas1a
...iam finally got my hands on an Ford WDS System wich will arrive at the end on the next week... I need the Jaguar WDS mainly so i also have to try to find me the
CD2 (Ghost CD), CD42a and CD43;

Where is the HDD located? ..in the tablet unit or in the main box?! ...i think i will also make me a hdd swap option then...
The hard drive is beside the battery under the cover on the back of the unit, not very hard to change.

Click on my name at the top left and send me an email that includes your email address so I can contact you. We'll work out getting you the Jaguar software.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
thomas1a (05-19-2022)
Old 06-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by xjrguy
The hard drive is beside the battery under the cover on the back of the unit, not very hard to change.

Click on my name at the top left and send me an email that includes your email address so I can contact you. We'll work out getting you the Jaguar software.

Cheers,
Hello XJRGUY!
I AM LOOKING FOR JAGUAR + FORD CD.......
I have a WDS Ford USA but disk is damaged (Have few other HD empty including a SDD). I have few Jaguars (2 coming from San Antonio TX) and Daimler and I am looking for All CD for Jaguar. No problem to pay for them. I am in the South France, but I have an address in Houston TX 77043 if this is better. Or I could load Disk Img., ISO etc. wich will be better.
Please let me know if you can help me in some ways.
Sincerly,
Claude
royalcoachconcept@orange.fr
swissclub@mail.ru

Old 10-23-2013, 07:49 PM

I do not know the BIOS password . It might be a factory secret thing.

I loaded Jaguar on a 4.3 GB HDD and Ford on a 3.2 GB HDD so I have both. I just open the back of the PTU and swap HDDs if I want to switch from Jaguar to FORD.

The Jaguar software install order is....

CD2 (GHOST DISC that replaced CD1)
CD 42A (this is also 43A and must be loaded before 42B or 43)
CD 43

This is the latest and LAST Jaguar WDS software that was issued.
It will communicate with Jaguar 1995MY sedan, 1996 XJ-S and subsequent models up to 2006MY.

bob gauff
Can I get a copy of those disc my friend.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 PM

I just forwarded your message.
I sent a copy to xjrguy as he is able to upload large files to a server for you to download.

I can make copies and send actual CDs but it take time to get them through the Post (USPS).

bob gauff

Old 10-24-2013, 10:08 AM

I just forwarded your message.
I sent a copy to xjrguy as he is able to upload large files to a server for you to download.

I can make copies and send actual CDs but it take time to get them through the Post (USPS).

bob gauff
That would be great!!! Just let me know where to go to download them.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The CDs (Jaguar 'ghost', 42A, 43 and Ford A6) are in the post. I had to fill out a Customs Form and listed the package as Documents. You should get the envelope soon.

bob gauff
Hi Bob, Bob I have been following your posts and have just purchased a Genrad 3500. Are these the discs I need to make it read my 1996 XJS? I think the one I bought has ford on it, as I have not received it. If they are, where can I get copies from. Thanks Craig.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:32 PM
Gii

PC-Based Service Tool

bob gauff
Hi! Ive recently got hold of a half-bricked 3500 from aston martin, and wonder if its possible to get software recovery dc's for it? Best regards

Old 03-05-2022, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,034 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by Gii
Hi! Ive recently got hold of a half-bricked 3500 from aston martin, and wonder if its possible to get software recovery dc's for it? Best regards
do you need the ghost disk or the system software?

if you show proof it started life as an aston unit i will help you out.

Last edited by xalty; 03-05-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:09 PM
Gii

Originally Posted by xalty
do you need the ghost disk or the system software?

if you show proof it started life as an aston unit i will help you out.
Not sure how can I prove it because the part number is worn and there are no stickers relating AM on it. But hey... at least Ill have a relic at my shop. Better find a way to get a more modern AMDS system!

Quick Reply: WDS ghost disc