Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Cigarette burnt fabric

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette burnt fabric

Hi,

The previous owner of my 2001 XKR was obviously a smoker as there is a bad cigarette burn on the driver side pillar just above the steering wheel. Does anyone know the best repair? or part numbers to buy online? I'm new to Jaguars so have absolutely no clue or contacts regarding repairs. So any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Old 03-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The A-Pillars are covered with foam backed headliner fabric. There are three options: Replace the entire trim piece, have an car upholstery shop replace the covering, or replace the covering yourself. If you replace the entire part it runs around $200 new.

If the material is kind of loose and wrinkled on the other A-pillar and the header over the windshield, the foam liners have deteriorated. In this case you might want to consider just having them all recovered either at a local car upholstery shop or DIY. This wil be a lot more economical.

Let me know which way you want to go and I can provide more details on part number or where to get material.

There is also a discussion on this subject going on on the XK8 & XKR forum right now: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51520

Old 03-18-2011, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fabric is still tight all over the vehicle and no other staining or burns. The car is going in to the dealer next week to replace a headlight lens, so will ask them to replace the pillar fabric. Well, if i get a reasonable quote.

I called the dealer last week about replacing the headlight lens, £650 +VAT. So I called the same dealer and asked for the parts dept. Quoted £125 to supply the part for me, then i called the fitting dept of the same dealer. Quoted £110 to fit the part if i supply it myself. Do these depts not talk to each other??

Old 03-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Mike, I doubt it. But you should try things over here. Yee ha.

Just a thought about recovering your A-Pillar, colour wise it is going to look odd unless you do both and it will still look odd compared to the headlining.

Due to previous owner.