Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

iphone mount project

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default iphone mount project

So I am the relatively new Series III owner and I want to tastefully mount my iphone in the xj6 without cheapening the interior, and I want it too look like the iphone exsisted in 86 and this mount was factery installed. The last requirement is that it must be completely reversable. Ambitious I know

Has anybody done this? Does anyone have any suggestions.

Here is my working idea.

1. I will be upgrading the headunit to the most simple and tasteful understated looking head unit that is capable of ipod/iphone control & bluetooth.

2. Using a blank cork block I am going to carve a small wedge in the nearly exact shape of the iphone. At the rear of it I will incorporate the iphopne connection.

3. I will pull out the driver's side ashtray and run the ipod connection wire inder the console and up through the ashtray hole. '

4. The carnver wedge will fit over top of the ashtray void and the iphone connection will be incorporated into the wedge. I will screw the wedge down into the ashtray mounting screw holes.

5. The cork will be carved so that it will be approx 2 inches thick at the top (closest to the head unit) and about 1 inch thick at the other end. This will tilt and prop up the iphone up a bit.

Thoughts.... suggestions? I will be starting this shortly

Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like a pretty good plan. I have not really seen cork used much for this type of thing, usually people use other woods, MDF, or rigid foam carved then covered in fiberglass.

Not sure the cork will be durable, but I'll leave that judgement to you. I like the plan to mount it in the ashtray hole. If you carve a pleasing shape and upholster it in vinyl or somehow trim it with some wood veneer and paint, it would probably look good.

Please let us know how it turns out, and post some pics. Show it off over in the XJ6 forum too. We need some fresh threads.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I'm actually almost done. It turned out better than I could have hoped! I still am going to put a finish on the cork to darken the look closer to the wood of the XJ interior. Once I'm done I will post pics.

I think the head unit I choose was a nice choice. its very understated. The Ipod wire runs under the centre console and up through the ashtray hole into the bottom of the cork mount I made. Very clean look.

The head unit is
the kenwood KDC-X794. Installed very well (my 1st time doing this too) I CAN NOT beleive how much better the stock speakers sound.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pictures?