Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Rear window cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Rear window cleaning

When I bought my used XK convertible several months ago, I noticed there was a thick, heavy film on the inside of the rear window. I cleaned the window several times with window cleaner and it seemed to help some, but the film always came right back...

Finally, I had enough and took a chance. I applied a gentle solvent made for removing furniture polish build-up from fine wood. It worked great. I then followed up with "Invisible Glass" spray cleaner. It worked like a charm. Window is now crystal clear.

I figured out the film must have been from three years of car interior vapors (new car plastics roasting in the sun, etc) becoming stuck to the window, which was apparently NEVER cleaned by the original owner and finally building up to the point of needing SOLVENT to remove...

I have ranted on this website before about how these beautiful and classic automobiles typically spend the first few years of their lives as leased vehicles, and how the guys who lease them don't give a damn about providing any level of real maintanence, certainly nothing that requires the investment any money (or even a bit of "elbow grease"). In the eyes of these people, the automobile is "just a rental", and not worthy of any amount of special attention. Hell, in this case, they didn't even clean the inside of the back window...

Okay, I'm done now...