Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Tan interior paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts
Default Tan interior paint

For those of you with the light praire tan interior (interior color code 1X), I have the answer for you should you need to touch anything up. This paint mix is for the light tan color that you have inside, not the darker brown. First, you will need to go to a hobby store and pick up a jar of paint that is the color called "Sand". You will also need a jar of paint that is the color called "Field Drab" (this is kinda a greenish brown in color). Now that you have these two colors, you will need to mix them together using 3 parts Sand to 1 part Field Drab. If a little bit dark, you can add in some more Sand to make it a bit lighter. I didn't measure exact amount, but using a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of the paints will get you really close, then you can fine tune the paint from there.

Just a warning: when looking at the color of paint for final application, make sure to put a drop of the paint on say the inside of the plastic piece to be painted and let it dry and then compare that to the piece you are trying to match. As with any paint, the color shifts slightly as the paint dries.

Now you might be asking where you find these very specific colors. THe paints that I bought are from a company called ModelMasters. But, there are a few other hobby paint companies that will sell these same colors. Another warning with the paint, currently there are two paint formulas on the shelves right now. You have acrylics and enamals. The two are not compatable. Even the method for thinning the paints is not compatable. The enamels require paint thinner, the acrylics use distilled water. So, when buying paint, make sure you know which type of paint you are getting. Personally, I like the application of the enamals over the acrylics, but if you can only get the acrylics, they will do what you want. You will also need to put on a sealer. Testors makes two products, Dullcote and Glosscote, that are sealers. As their names imply, do you want a shiny surface or a dull surface. These two sealer are both enamel based. But, they can be applied over the acrylics once the acrylic paint is dry. I have done this numerous times.

Just to give you an idea of how much paint you may need for a project, a 1/2 ounce jar of Sand mixed with the appropriate amount of Field Drab will cover about 1.5 square feet of surface. The 1/2 ounce jars run $3.29 each at my local hobby store. This sure beats the quote of $50 for a quart of paint for some through the local auto parts store had I had them mix it up for me. That would have been enough paint to do the whole interior of the car using an airbrush (which is required to apply the paint unless you don't mind brush strokes and only being able to cover about 0.5 square feet of surface area).

If you have any questions, just ask.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman and K'Re Ann, the 03 X