Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

How much boost can the X308 handle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts
Default How much boost can the X308 handle?

I'm curious of how much boost can the engine handle in it's stock format? Forgetting about the Heaton blower, just overall, how much can the engine handle, and at what boost level would what need to be changed.

If I ended up with a twin screw and wanted to run LOTS and LOTS of boost at some point, how much can it handle without, and with mods. Do the heads need to be studded, etc.??

AVOS, in high boost trim, how much boost were you running to make your highest dynod HP?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

well I dont think anyone has grenaded a motor yet due to boost id like to know tht as well. Ive heard of 20psi on a heaton and no probs so thts a plus

Old 07-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

heaton?

Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 PM

a joke word for the eaton blower cus it developes alot of heat

Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

I would not recommend going further then 20/21 psi with the TS kit, but who am I ;-). Of course this is assuming a stock ECU tune, if you would have tuned your ECU (one that is based on a stock car), you need to lower your boost of course, just so you get an idea.

This is obviously not the max the TS kit can produce, in theory you can go to 30 psi, but that wouldn’t be healthy imho on an unmodified engine, but if one wants to go to these regions.

I run my peak power close to 23 psi, and even though I drive with this daily, I wouldn't recommend it as everything must be in tip top condition and even then it's risky. I would consider this as the max also; at least I am not planning to go higher.

Don’t know what the limit is for the heaton safe and power wise. The heat production of the unit and power consumption from the engine will grow more exponentially with boost, not linear, so at a certain point you loose more power then you put into it, which is also something to keep in mind.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by avos
I would not recommend going further then 20/21 psi with the TS kit, but who am I ;-). Of course this is assuming a stock ECU tune, if you would have tuned your ECU (one that is based on a stock car), you need to lower your boost of course, just so you get an idea.

This is obviously not the max the TS kit can produce, in theory you can go to 30 psi, but that wouldn’t be healthy imho on an unmodified engine, but if one wants to go to these regions.

I run my peak power close to 23 psi, and even though I drive with this daily, I wouldn't recommend it as everything must be in tip top condition and even then it's risky. I would consider this as the max also; at least I am not planning to go higher.

Don’t know what the limit is for the heaton safe and power wise. The heat production of the unit and power consumption from the engine will grow more exponentially with boost, not linear, so at a certain point you loose more power then you put into it, which is also something to keep in mind.
This is a good amount of boost on any engine haha so I have a question then you say tht around 23psi is what you drive on daily and is the max you would go. Well then when you made you big run on the dyno u said you ran more boost than you do daily so what was the amount that you ran then and did you feel it was on the edge??

Tune is definitely going to be something to fiddle with and will be of great help running higher than norm boost.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
This is a good amount of boost on any engine haha so I have a question then you say tht around 23psi is what you drive on daily and is the max you would go. Well then when you made you big run on the dyno u said you ran more boost than you do daily so what was the amount that you ran then and did you feel it was on the edge??

I thought I mentioned that I use a higher boost pressure than I would recommend. The 23 psi (or close to) is what I am driving now with for about half a year including the dyno results I showed. I did try a higher boost even that day on the dyno, but that showed slip of the belt as I forgot to bring the right size belt...

This boost level or going higher will be risky, but then again I have been pioneering for many years where with each step I was scared to ruin something.

Am not willing anymore to take bigger risks (except some small adjustments here and there), think it is already amazing how much power is added and I enjoy the ride as I have it now.

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Tune is definitely going to be something to fiddle with and will be of great help running higher than norm boost.
That is something no one seems to grasp here. I run with a stock tune, and this is possible as I use up the reserves that are build into it. So can't agree here with your statement.

Last edited by avos; 07-04-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by avos
I thought I mentioned that I use a higher boost pressure than I would recommend. The 23 psi (or close to) is what I am driving now with for about half a year including the dyno results I showed. I did try a higher boost even that day on the dyno, but that showed slip of the belt as I forgot to bring the right size belt...

This boost level or going higher will be risky, but then again I have been pioneering for many years where with each step I was scared to ruin something.

Am not willing anymore to take bigger risks (except some small adjustments here and there), think it is already amazing how much power is added and I enjoy the ride as I have it now.

That is something no one seems to grasp here. I run with a stock tune, and this is possible as I use up the reserves that are build into it. So can't agree here with your statement.

Oh i agree completely I thought you said you changed pulleys from your max dyno run for a more stable daily driver boost level my mistake. I think 23psi is plenty especially on a big 2.6 TS lol plenty of power for anyone.

As for the tune I think you misunderstand my meaning it is VERY true that the factory tune is WAY safe and conservative we have found so many torque limiting factors in there its crazy. An as you yourself have just proven from the factory the ECU is far from optimized for even a mildly modified jag if it can handle 23psi with a 2.6 TS system. Now with some tuning you can extract quite a bit more power even with the overdriven eaton. But when the power levels start to exceed these "safety" nets built into the computer you could go in back off timing a bit richen it up etc etc to run even more boost if that is your goal. Personally i think your power level is perfect with the stock tune as you have shown, seems like your setup was perfectly designed to work with the stock tune which shows how inadequate it is for a mildly modded setup. But warrenty, gentlemans car and ride, and safety are what jag designed it for and makes sense.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

If you have the money/capability you can make a custom tune on a dyno for each stage to optimize where you are at of course, but you can play it wise as well if funds aren’t unlimited, there is a lot to gain with the stock tune itself when upping the boost, that’s all.

I have just seen to many posts glorifying a tune, as if without it would be the end of the world.