Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default K&N filter

After installing a K&N filter in the original filterhousing my 04 xjr seems to be a litle more responsive....
Do other memders have the same conclusion?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't bought my jag yet, but i use K&N's in both my bikes, and my UrS6.

I concur that there are subtle, but noticeable changes in all of them, including responsiveness, reduced hesitation, and even (proven) HP increases. Not much, admittedly, but it all adds up! 5% on the car, 8% on one of the bikes (VMax).

Old 06-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used them on my e500 and on my Xjr and I love it

Old 06-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

On every car forum I have been a member of, there is always some discussion that pops up about the used of K&N or similar filters. No better way to start a controversy. On one side there are those that say the filter does nothing and the oil used can actually be harmful. On the other side there are those that claim increased performance.

For me I had one of these on my previous car for about 15 years and currently have one on my Jaguar. I never bothered actually doing any dyno checks to see the impact (positive or negative) but I have never had any problem using these. I believe a stock filter, when new, will run as free-flowing as the K&N but, over time, the flow with a stock degrades while the K&N does not (unless really really dirty).

Doug

Old 06-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Seismic is right. Anybody up for an oil discussion- or maybe use of different octane rating fuels? (ducking for cover)

Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just don't over oil the filter.

It is my understanding that the problems happen when sopping wet oil flies into the sensors.

I've never had a problem, too many cars to count in my past have used K&Ns

Old 06-07-2012, 03:26 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

Actual tests conducted by ISO show differently...
And I did get tired of two things:
1. clearing the MAF sensor error codes and
2. cleaning the filter every 30 days. (Yes, after 30 days, you actually end up starving the engine as air flow is significantly restricted over factory paper)
FWIW

Old 06-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Why every 30 days, are you driving on dirt roads?

Mine looks clean after 3 months

Old 06-07-2012, 05:34 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

to me, mine looked clean... until I cleaned it:-)
Anyhow, I'm only reporting on the highlights of the ISO tests.

Cheers.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
Actual tests conducted by ISO show differently...
And I did get tired of two things:
1. clearing the MAF sensor error codes and
2. cleaning the filter every 30 days. (Yes, after 30 days, you actually end up starving the engine as air flow is significantly restricted over factory paper)
FWIW
Here we go, lol!

I think you are being a bit overzealous with the cleaning. K&N recommends a service interval of 25,000 miles.

Per K&N:
4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

Last edited by Vector; 06-07-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Lol at all you guys claiming noticeable improvements with a K&N drop in. It has been dyno proven that they make 0 hp on a stock XJR and XKR. Maybe 1 or 2 hp, which is in the margin of error. Certainly nothing you will notice. In fact, dyno testing showed no difference with stock paper filter and the filter removed completely.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
Lol at all you guys claiming noticeable improvements with a K&N drop in. It has been dyno proven that they make 0 hp on a stock XJR and XKR. Maybe 1 or 2 hp, which is in the margin of error. Certainly nothing you will notice. In fact, dyno testing showed no difference with stock paper filter and the filter removed completely.
I seem to recall some very diligent testing that some Pontiac TransAm owner did a few years ago with his LT-1. The guy had a base-stock dyno run and then a bunch of dyno runs whenever he would do some mod (e.g., K&N air filter, adjust fuel pressure, replace stock manifolds with headers, install roller rockers, reprogram PCM, install lower temp thermostat, etc.). It was one of the most comprehensive "studies" I have seen as to what gains/losses you would get by doing some mod. Anyway, when it came to the K&N air filter, I believe the most optimistic improvements might have been a couple of horsepower. Certainly nothing you would notice or be able to measure without a dyno. I think the more convincing sales pitch on the K&N was performance over time as the filter got dirty compared with a stock filter.

For me, it is cheap enough to be worth the "feel good" notion that there might be a negligible improvement. Certainly much more bang-for-the-buck versus guys that would spend $thousands on an aftermarket exhaust with not much to show except more noise.

Doug

Old 06-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Ditto. Notice I said no improvement on stock XJRs and XKRs. Modified and other cars, maybe, although probably zero improvement on most other stock cars as well.