Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

Snow Stage II water/alky injection install part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Snow Stage II water/alky injection install part 1

Hopefully some one finds this post helpful:

I'm in the process of installing a Snow Stage II dual nozzle alcohol/water injection. Please see the photos of how I did it, and where I located the solenoid, pump, and nozzles.

I used the stock/factory windshield reservoir, but I added the low level sensor that came with the injection kit. That is the larger black round thing part way up the bottle the side.

To make the space needed for the new 3.5" cold air intake with huge K&N like filter, I simply cut off the tube which comes out of the top of the reservoir and found that a 1 1/2 PVC 45 degree slip fitting fits in "really tight." It is in as a friction fit, and when my intake arrives, I will simply rotate/swivel the 1 1/2 pvc pipe with 45 degree angle fitting filler tube for easy filling.

Since I'm injecting after the blower, I'm also using the solenoid to prevent siphoning at idle, the solenoid is located before the pump. I'm starting with 2 225 ML/MN injectors. The nozzles (tapped into the blower cover) swivel, so the red lines can be run over or under the charge coolers.

There wasn't a lot of room down there, so please comment on what you think of my choices of mounting locations. I used two 6" hose clamps to mount the pump to the frame. It is super solid. I used 2 clamps for peace of mind. One would have been plenty. The solenoid is double zip tied and and wrapped with copper wire through a hole in the frame. All the tubing bends are gradual with no stress to kink any lines, despite how some photos may look.

Please have a look at the photos and tell me what you think

I'm not sure when I'm going to get time to wire it up, I just bought another house today and fixing it up will be a full time job for the next month at least.

Hopefully I can sneak out and get the wiring done soon. I will post on my progress when it is wired and give my review of the results after I pair this install with a larger lower pulley. My plan is to consider the meth injection and 4 lb lower pulley upgrade as one package, since the much lower IATs should allow for more boost while retaining the advanced timing. It is my understanding that the real benefits of a meth injection kit is that it allows considerably more boost before the computer backs off the timing from detonation, so the benefits of this installation may not be seen until after the addition of more boost.

I don't have the pulley or Boost and IAT gauge yet (recommendations??), but am working on it. This meth kit was just sitting on my floor whispering to me, so the only way to make the little voices go away was to install it on the car

An offer for any of you SF Bay Area Jag owners, now that I've done one of these, it would take me way less time to do it again, so I'd be happy to help anyone do this install, no charge. That goes for all the mods I will do with my car. The front of the car comes off in 3 minutes to give good access for mounting everything. No need to re-invent the wheel. I'm happy to let others benefit from my experience figuring this install out.

Attached Thumbnails Snow Stage II water/alky injection install part 1-2012-06-22-18.16.10.jpg   Snow Stage II water/alky injection install part 1-2012-06-22-19.43.10.jpg   Snow Stage II water/alky injection install part 1-2012-06-22-19.47.00.jpg   Snow Stage II water/alky injection install part 1-2012-06-22-20.05.52.jpg   Snow Stage II water/alky injection install part 1-2012-06-23-14.15.31.jpg  

Snow Stage II water/alky injection install part 1-2012-06-22-20.06.17.jpg   Snow Stage II water/alky injection install part 1-2012-06-13-20.11.34.jpg  

Last edited by WaterDragon; 06-24-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice install WaterDragon!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

I tested the kit today with water only (using a temporary always live power source) and it appears to work well.

I filled 1/2 tank of 87 octane instead of my usual 91. The car, even with water only, felt a little stronger. When I turned off the water injection and was running the 87 octane the car had significantly noticeably less power.

I'm running 2 of the 225 ML/MN injectors. I set the system to come on at 2.5v and full at just over 4 volts on the settings on the control box.

I am running stock pulleys, so stock boost. I'm planning on running a baseline 1/4 mile at the local track on Weds, but not with the meth kit, just engine only with 91 octane fuel.

After I get the 4 lb lower pulley installed I will run the car again on the dyno and 0-60 and 1/4 mile and will post my results.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Glad to see people adding meth to these cars. I can't wait to buy and add my cooling mist kit.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaSTi
Nice. Glad to see people adding meth to these cars. I can't wait to buy and add my cooling mist kit.
Just be aware you may not see much gain unless you increase your boost. I'm considering the meth kit and 4lb lower pulley as working together as one power upgrade.

Which kit are you going to install?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

no in Hot summer monthes the meth kit is a plus even on stock cars. Anytime you can cool the air you are adding horsepower. Not to mention lets not forget the nice steam cleaning effect tht the misting will do to the intercooler cores keeping them operating at optimum conditions.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
Just be aware you may not see much gain unless you increase your boost. I'm considering the meth kit and 4lb lower pulley as working together as one power upgrade.

Which kit are you going to install?
I have the CMGS3 kit. I bought it BEFORE they made the package, so I have their stage 3 plus fail safe AND low level indicator.

This is the closest kit on their site:

Water Injection, Methanol Injection, Alcohol Injection Systems | Coolingmist,

Are you running 100% meth, 50/50, or just H2O??

Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaSTi
I have the CMGS3 kit. I bought it BEFORE they made the package, so I have their stage 3 plus fail safe AND low level indicator.

This is the closest kit on their site:

Water Injection, Methanol Injection, Alcohol Injection Systems | Coolingmist,

Are you running 100% meth, 50/50, or just H2O??
Looks like a very nice kit. I especially like that it comes with a gauge.
Question, does it only activate on boost or can you also set a MAF reading to activate the system.

I am planning on running 50/50 to start, (bought some BOOST JUICE which is 49/51) but since I have no experience with this I will ask at the track to see what other people recommend also.

I assume you are putting this on a Jag? What do you have?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
no in Hot summer monthes the meth kit is a plus even on stock cars. Anytime you can cool the air you are adding horsepower. Not to mention lets not forget the nice steam cleaning effect tht the misting will do to the intercooler cores keeping them operating at optimum conditions.
I stand corrected.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 AM

Looks like a very nice kit. I especially like that it comes with a gauge.
Question, does it only activate on boost or can you also set a MAF reading to activate the system.

I am planning on running 50/50 to start, (bought some BOOST JUICE which is 49/51) but since I have no experience with this I will ask at the track to see what other people recommend also.

I assume you are putting this on a Jag? What do you have?
Well, I bought this kit to install on my 07 STi, but I blew the motor before I could install it. It's a universal kit, so it can be used on ANY boosted car. It can be installed using MAF,boost, or throttle position. It's a pretty advanced kit and can be wired to a ton of choices.

Boost juice is okay, but I heard it has a small amount of variance between lots. I would recommend making your own meth:water, that way YOU know the exact proportions going in to your tank every time. I have also heard if you run 100% you risk more damage to the system, so 50:50 is the best ratio to run.

Are you using the meth for the 1/4 mile, auto-x, or just street use? I know for auto-x you can't use it at all, due to the fact that it's a clear burning liquid. The 1/4 doesn't care and same for street.

When I purchase my next car, that's what I will install my meth kit on. I'm just having a hard time deciding on what to buy next......hence joining this forum. I LOVE the XF's, but the other contenders are CTS-V or waiting and grabbing a totally different car like a used noble or 911.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member

I'll be using it for street mostly and 1/4 mile.

What do you mean 100% can damage WHAT in the system? I'm injecting after the blower.

I will likely be mixing my own in the future, I just wanted to try the recommended mixes first.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM

I'll be using it for street mostly and 1/4 mile.

What do you mean 100% can damage WHAT in the system? I'm injecting after the blower.

I will likely be mixing my own in the future, I just wanted to try the recommended mixes first.
What I mean is the car itself will be fine, but over time the system will get worn down. I've heard of people having to check their lines and any other rubber components since the alcohol dries them up and makes them brittle. As long as the failsafe works the motor should be okay, just keep an eye on your set up. People do routine checks just to make sure the nozzle doesn't get clogged and the plastics and rubber remain good.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

Plain and simple:

The meth injection WORKS !

Noticeably more power in the upper rpms.

Butt dyno can feel it, so at least 15 hp+

I'll test it at the track after I've installed the 4 lb lower pulley to get the most advantage of the cooler charge with now 110-115 octane.

I'll post photos of my wiring after I've fixed my cooling fans (not working right now, I likely pulled a wire when re-installing my front end or something)

Old 04-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Update,

I found that injecting 375 ml/minute BEFORE the TB is way better than after. Injecting before the blower makes it run much cooler, and the denser air is easier for the rotors to move, and I got an additional +1 PSI vs after the blower !

Do NOT listen to anyone who says it strips the rotors, they do not know what they are talking about and cannot provide a single incident this has ever happened.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

I can imagine over time that coatings (or pitting the aluminum lobes) could be affected, but have no experience myself. I guess you have only tested it very short, or how many miles/gallons of methanol have gone thru already?

Anyway, my biggest concern would be the bearings, as over time methanol mist could find its way there, and shorten the life of them, so it becomes more a matter of how much maintenance one would accept compared to possible performance enhancements, and not a no strings attached setup as you seem to suggest here.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Update,

Do NOT listen to anyone who says it strips the rotors, they do not know what they are talking about and cannot provide a single incident this has ever happened.
Uh, actually on my MP90 I used to have on the Nissan mine did. I used a universal meth kit(Demons Own) and started with the largest of the 2 nozzles and ran that for a few months. And the coating was stripped on all of the rotors and flakes all over the lower aftercooler and housing.then switch to the smaller nozzle which I think clogged eventually cause it hardly used meth unlike before refilling every other tank of gas. Now was it too much and was than the cause or the corrosive properties of methanol. Cant answer that other than speculation. Will it stop my use of it in the furute, nope. I didnt reinstall when I fabbed the Ken Bell twin screw to replace the Eaton because I lose the under hood space to a custom cool box plumbed to the inner fender. But Ill switch to a Snow progressive controller instead of a on/off. But then Ill be moving up from 12psi to 16psi boost with a custom lower pulley. Keep going WD I love reading your threads.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
Uh, actually on my MP90 I used to have on the Nissan mine did. I used a universal meth kit(Demons Own) and started with the largest of the 2 nozzles and ran that for a few months. And the coating was stripped on all of the rotors and flakes all over the lower aftercooler and housing.then switch to the smaller nozzle which I think clogged eventually cause it hardly used meth unlike before refilling every other tank of gas. Now was it too much and was than the cause or the corrosive properties of methanol. Cant answer that other than speculation. Will it stop my use of it in the furute, nope. I didnt reinstall when I fabbed the Ken Bell twin screw to replace the Eaton because I lose the under hood space to a custom cool box plumbed to the inner fender. But Ill switch to a Snow progressive controller instead of a on/off. But then Ill be moving up from 12psi to 16psi boost with a custom lower pulley. Keep going WD I love reading your threads.

It might be a different situation if you are injecting wayyy too much and it is dripping everywhere, as the larger 625 ml size might do, but in my engine, at a modest 375 ml/minute, I am not seeing any signs of any drips, no stains except just inside the intake tube where it is injecting, nothing at all in the tb or after that, probably because it is staying evaporated as it is supposed to. I did notice when I ran 2 x 225 ml injectors after the blower it felt like it might have been quenching a bit.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 04-03-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avos
I can imagine over time that coatings (or pitting the aluminum lobes) could be affected, but have no experience myself. I guess you have only tested it very short, or how many miles/gallons of methanol have gone thru already?

Anyway, my biggest concern would be the bearings, as over time methanol mist could find its way there, and shorten the life of them, so it becomes more a matter of how much maintenance one would accept compared to possible performance enhancements, and not a no strings attached setup as you seem to suggest here.

When I talked to Steig about this (who has rebuilt something like 4000 Eaton blowers) he told me he has never seen any rotor stripping if the user was not over injecting.

"they do not know what they are talking about and cannot provide a single incident this has ever happened"
Can YOU produce a single real world example of a blower that has had a problem that was injecting at a rate similar to the 375 ml/minute volume?

The question is can you produce evidence of any incident, or not?

I'm not seeing any evidence or proof in your post. Do you have any?

Last edited by WaterDragon; 04-03-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

I personally have only used about 12 gallons.

When I talked to Steig about this (who has rebuilt something like 4000 blowers) he told me he has never seen any rotor stripping if the user was not over injecting.

"they do not know what they are talking about and cannot provide a single incident this has ever happened"
Can YOU produce a single real world example of a blower that has had a problem that was injecting at a rate similar to the 375 ml/minute volume?

The question is can you produce evidence of any incident, or not?

I'm not seeing any evidence or proof in your post. Do you have any?

I can imagine scenarios where the mere presence of water meth injection makes things last quite a bit longer than not having it...
There are already lots of stock setups blowers that require new bearings, if you can't see that adding methanol could hasten up the process, then let’s here agree to disagree. KenneBell also recommends against spraying before, but as said, you have to outweigh the maintenance costs vs the possible performance increase, which each of us gives a different meaning to.

Stieg isn’t the best reference here as his claims here didn’t hold up, so not just because he will benifit from rebuilds. But as he already admits that it does happen, it's something to take note of (as a small proof).

Although I did have a small nozzle before the SC for a short time, I removed it as for me the longevity of the supercharger outweighs the small benefits.

Am guessing you have just done 5Kmiles or so, now if you can report again with 60Kmiles or so it will become more meaningful.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:39 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Meh, you know a 50hp shot might be more beneficial for same or better cooling properties just thinking brutally

Quick Reply: Snow Stage II water/alky injection install part 1