Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Embedded hyperlinks in text

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:58 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Embedded hyperlinks in text

Does anyone know if the hyperlinks that appear in text in posts can be shut off? These are really annoying and I find I cannot skirt around them with my cursor without tripping them.

There is probably an easy way and I apologize in advance if it is posted somewhere already, but a quick search hasn't found anything.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

This is an odd one. If you somehow deactivate the hyperlinks then you won't be able to navigate the forum.

However, don't know what type of pointing device or system you are using. But on an old HP Pavillion laptop I sometimes use, the touch pad was over sensitive and whenever I passed the cursor over a link or a file menu it would immediately activate the link etc.

A most annoying situation. Drove me nuts.

If you are using this type of device then in your Control Pannel select your pointing device and modify its properties to be less sensitive, or even switch off the tap to go function all together.

Alternately connect a separate mouse and switch off the touch pad.

Of course if you are already using a desktop PC then the above won't apply.

If you can't quickly find how to change your mouse properties look in the help file on your machine.

Sorry not a very helpful response, and if you are using a Mac then probably no use at all.

Something just dawned on me, when you are reading a post why and what are you doing with your cursor in the main body text, rather than just scrolling up/down and navigating between pages. The only time I would have my cursor in the body of a post would be either when deliberately clicking a link, or when I am writing a post/reply.

All the best,

Last edited by Translator; 03-21-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added somethng
Old 03-21-2010, 08:33 PM
ud

Richard,

Thank you for your help. I use a PC laptop with a built-in mousepad and roller device along its edge. I often have my curser placed somewhere on the text, not intentially. I use the roller device to scroll down through posts. Some words in texts are "hot". For example, in my first post in this string, the word "advance" is hot. If I accidentally hit that word, I get a popup that appears to be an advertisement. I think its intention is to give the definition of the word "advance", after I view the advertisement, of course. The popup is persistent and usually is dragged down into the upcoming text. I know I could just place the cursor in the margins of the page before I scroll, and maybe I need to get into that habit.

Thanks again, I very much appreciate it even though this is pretty off topic.

Best,

Old 03-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member

Yeh it is a little off topic, but I reckon you are in the right place.

True, using a roller or wheel I do also have a tendancy to leave the cursor wherever it happens to be.

I have tried to replicate your problem with little success. I would suggest that you have a browser issue.

Depending on which browser you are using, in the tools menu find the option to block pop-up windows and check it. You might need to select a few options, but I systematically block all pop-ups.

If you are using FF then download the AddBlock plus add-in together with the generic US filters and this will kill pretty much all the adds that appear.

I don't see "advance" doing anything here, but in IE when I hover the cursor over a word, it then gives me a definition of the word. Another function to switch off.

I'll have a look at an assortment of browsers on a different machine later on, and see what happens.

OK lunch time. Right I have had a look with the following browsers and the only exception/problem is with IE showing a very annoying trait of giving a definition of a word in the body text when you pass the cursor over it. If this is supposed to be a feature it's about as much use as a second hand teabag.

Browsers:
FF 3.6,
IE 8 32 bit,
IE 8 64 bit,
Safari,
Opera 10
Google Chrome

The last three take forever to load the Forum.

Cheers,

Last edited by Translator; 03-22-2010 at 06:33 AM. Reason: now it's later on
Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 AM
ud

YES, in your lasr paragraph above, that's it. Certain words are "hot" and when cursoring over them they pop up a definition. Some come with advertisements too. So it is IE then?

Thanks again,

Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

OK, got it, I think.

It seems to be related on this machine with IE to the Google Tool bar. If you have the auto translation feature activated. Every time you pass the cursor over a Word then it gives you that annoying Pop-up.

What you need to do is to isolate the translation button and with the down arrow, un tick the word for word box. This seems to stop the pop up.

Alternatively deactivate the Google Tool Bar in IE that also seems to work.

And block all publicity in the IE tools menu can't hurt.

If they get through, here are a couple of screen shots to give you a better idea. One good, one bad.

Attached Thumbnails Embedded hyperlinks in text-ie-bad-pop-up.jpg   Embedded hyperlinks in text-ie-no-translation-pop-up.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Yah, annoying little advertising that 'links' to goofy words in our posts. I don't think we can 'turn' them off per-se. I use Firefox, and there are no options for these, unfortunately. If you find a way, let me know, the real annoying ones are the ones with a sound clip attached...way too loud!

Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for firefox, try using Ad Block Plus or No Scripts. These are free add-ons offered on the firefox website that block pop ups and ads within webpages. I have those on my firefox and see no "hot link ads" as described above. Sadly Chrome beta for Mac OSX I am using is letting them through.