Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Lump sub forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
The impression I had when first replying to this thread in November 2014 (post #2) was that, with only a very few exceptions, everyone from the opposite extremes of absolute originality to serious modifications was rubbing along OK and there was no need to intervene in an issue that doesn't really exist here.

Pleased to see from the replies that this is the case. Even more importantly, when opinions do differ they are expressed with courtesy and respect.

Graham

As above for me too, I see no need to separate the different groups, much better if we all get along nicely, as I believe we do.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (03-30-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 01:26 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default lumper forum

I think it would be good to have a forum for lumped cars. It would be nice to have information / experiences all in one place. Just a thought... please offer your own thoughts on this
Thanks,
Jim

Old 05-01-2015, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I agree with you Jim but there is no point flogging a long dead, expired, rigid, ex horse. It aint gonna happen :-)

Old 05-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
The impression I had when first replying to this thread in November 2014 (post #2) was that, with only a very few exceptions, everyone from the opposite extremes of absolute originality to serious modifications was rubbing along OK and there was no need to intervene in an issue that doesn't really exist here.

Pleased to see from the replies that this is the case. Even more importantly, when opinions do differ they are expressed with courtesy and respect.

Graham

I support a lump forum. Many visitors have posted in the XJS forums about conversion and they are summarily chastised with derogatory terms like "Pig Iron" , "Why would you want to do that?", "push rod junk", "Archaic technology". So any technical questions about a conversion quickly devolves in to a debate and the original question goes mostly un-discussed. Consequently, most of the conversion posters pose a question, get chastised and don't return to the forum. Yes...it's usually done in a polite way and they politely get the message lumpers are not welcome. I just don't see how that status quo serves anyone's interest.

Additionally, the chased away lumpers represent a missed opportunity to increase the knowledge base. The lack of a lumper forum also denies those interested in the subject a safe harbor for discussion. It also represents a missed opportunity for advertising revenue from companies who sell modification products.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Steve, that "other forum" has tamed down a lot. Those "extreme purists" have either mellowed or gone on to other things. Those that remain, make their choices and tolerate or accept each other. I think the reasoning that created a separate lump list has
departed.

As of now, on this forum, I see no reason for a separate list. All is civil and I don't think I've seen any "extreme purist" outcries.

I see inclusion as a great thing. Not only here, but in life

An owner of a converted car has wisdom that can assist an owner of an original car and vice versa. The basic principles remain the same, but only details differ. All IC engines need compression, air, fuel and ignition all in the right amount and the right time.

Not to mention that Jaguar's left Coventry with a lot of outsourced parts. Pure???

Naah, the term "lump" bothers me not. I seem to recall a discussion of it's origin. it seems to be that t was used for the original engines in any brand. " I removed the lump to fix it's ills.

An aside. No question, that the factory engineers are good. But, many a back yard shade tree guy/gal has improved on their product.

Odd engineering, oh yeah. tis challenging, and actually a bit of fun! Found everywhere though.

Look at the Jaguar engineered transmission mount and two piece drive shaft. No question in that they work, but why??? A much simpler heavy rubber block and a one piece shaft. Work as well and serviced so much easier. That mount is a real Rubik's cube!!!

I bought my car as a very nice running 4.2. Adequate power. High rear ratio was a sub for OD, sorta. But, entirely functional. It would go as fast as I ever wanted. well, sorta. But, fast enough to get a ticket!!!

After the melt down and voyage home on a flatbed from Stockton, Ca. I did a lot of thinking and research. I wrote a paper on it. Not sure where it is now. Lost in a past crash???

OK, now, if I can get a durn starter that works in it, I can return to the road. Too bad the left over Jaguar unit in my bits shed will not fit!!!

Carl

Old 05-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

I agree that no forums should be created that promote a class system. I think "lumps" is a derogatory and definitely fuels this snobbish attitude some will always have.

I stopped going to and posting any data to Jag-lovers forum for this reason of snobbish behavior. That is why I like these forums as I have not encountered the level of snobbish attitudes found at Jag-lovers and other sites.

I think as long as the forum managers step in to police any attitudes of people making others feel unwanted, etc. all will be good. I also recommend that forum managers step in and tell people if they make bad behavior comments they will be removed.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:38 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't realize this topic had been discussed in such depth before, so I understand the attitude of leave well enough alone. After reading through all the posts, I'm comfortable with leaving well enough alone. I love this website and the many, many wonderful members who give of themselves to come to our aid.
Thanks, Jim

Old 05-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by smith356
I didn't realize this topic had been discussed in such depth before, so I understand the attitude of leave well enough alone. After reading through all the posts, I'm comfortable with leaving well enough alone. I love this website and the many, many wonderful members who give of themselves to come to our aid.
Thanks, Jim
Jim,

while my V8 conversion was with a 65' 3.8s I would be glad to share anything I learned and a good resource for your later model Jaguar is Andrew
Andrew@jaguarspecialties.com I am in CA and while he focuses on later model Jag V8 conversions he also was helpful for my conversion as well as used and some new Jag parts at better prices than others. He does not do conversions but sells the parts needed and is a great resource for used parts and some new parts too.