Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Returning Member - still unimpressed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning Member - still unimpressed.

After receiving reminder emails I returned to this site after a long absence, only to be reminded immediately of why I stopped using it! The speed of response is dreadful compared with every other forum I use.

It looks as if the software insists on building every page completely on my computer before it will displays, leaving me looking at an unchanged screen whilst my router lights are showing a substantial download - then (eventually) the entire page is displayed. Every other forum I use displays a page (or thread) as it downloads, so there's little or no delay in being able to start reading it. Why should I be prevented from reading the first post on a page simply because the final post on the page has not finished downloading??? With big posts or embedded pictures there can be a significant wait, and all for no logical reason.

Maybe there's a setting that you could change, but I don't get this problem on any other forum. As an X-Type owner for 7 years now about to move to XF, and an engineer, I've always been willing to help other owners with technical problems (over 500 posts about X-Types to date, elsewhere) and I'd like to use this forum more - but I get too frustrated with the delays even with a 6+ Mbit internet connection.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Nice to see you're back . There 're slower forums than us too . Our Admins have done some good stuffs to speed up the forums . Recently, no one complained about how slow our forum was .
I don't know what browser you're using but IE8,Opera,Maxtron work fine with our forum software

Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Default Returning Member - site access issue

OK, a bit more analysis:
1. I use IE8, fully updated.
2. This is the only site I know which appears to buffer the entire page (excluding headings) before activating the actual display.
3. Using a resurrected copy of Netscape, there are no delays - the site is fast.
4. Earlier versions of IE exhibited the same problem
5. I need to try on another computer, which I can do later.

Preliminary thoughts - some combination of vBulletin's settings and IE settings are causing the delay, or I have a weird flag set on my IE (this and my earlier versions) that causes the delay for just this one site.

I'll do more tests on other machines.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

This illustrates one of the reasons a superfast i/n hookup is a bit pointless. Out there when connecting to real sites, things are slow. There are SOME fast sites, (usually they are selling something) but I suppose with free sites, one can't complain.
Leedsman.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi Gnomeface, thanks for taking the time to leave your comments, much appreciated.

I do know it may not be the fastest site out there, its also certainly not the slowest. You may / may not have issues with your setup!

Please rest assured I'll take it on board and pass it on to see what response we get.
We're glad to have you back and hope that you decide to stick around for a while

Old 03-18-2010, 06:21 AM

Further tests completed.
- On my main computer IE8 was reset to the default settings, but no improvement.
- Another XP computer in the house (recently rebuilt from scratch and with very little added software) had exactly the same symptoms - a 3-7 second delay between showing the headings (and the first advertisement) and the rest of the page, the longer delays being on the bigger pages.
- A new Vista laptop (IE again) also had delays, but not quite as long.
- No other web pages on any of the machines have such a delay.
- My main machine is connected to my router through Ethernet, the others are wireless, so it does not seem to be a communication problem.
- I downloaded Firefox onto the second XP computer and (like Netscape) it did not suffer delays!

Analysis.
There's some combination of settings between the jaguarforums.com host system and my XP/IE8 systems that causes delays on this one web site. It appears that a jaguarforums page does not get displayed until it has been fully downloaded. I also use ZoneAlarm firewall (unlikely to be involved) and AVG (but WITHOUT the problem-ridden Webshield!), and I suppose that AVG might have a contribution although it's unlikely.
It just isn't worth me spending more time on it.

Solution.
I'm installing Firefox on my main computer, which will solve this problem and may be an improvement anyway.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I run Firefox on all my machines and never use IE. For fun, I cut pasted the URL of this thread into IE. As stated it took several seconds for the page to display vs. instantly for FF.

More resons to ditch IE.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi Gnomeface,
A while ago I was having problems loading the site and so decided to do a test over a period of time with different browsers.

From my experience I would suggest that it is an IE issue rather than the site.

Stick with FF, maybe make a few tweaks from the about:config and you should see an improvement. Even if you make no changes to FF it is still quicker.

Here is the link to my previous post, which includes various people's responses.

All the best

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...hlight=browser

Last edited by Translator; 03-18-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:10 PM

I'm pleased that others have confirmed that they've seen the same problem with IE - although there must be something in the way this site is set up as well, as other similar sites don't suffer.

Anyway, Firefox is fully implemented now with all settings and even cookies transferred - and it works quite well. The only irritating thing so far is that on a similar forum, in IE once I've read a thread the colour of the thread title in the index page changes immediately to show that I've read it; in Firefox it doesn't change until I exit the site and then return to it. Maybe there's a setting somewhere to correct this.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:07 PM

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Firefox has proved to be somewhat undeveloped and has completely crashed a few times now, wasting a lot of my time, so it's back to IE. I'll keep Firefox to access this one site, as it's so much quicker than IE, and live with the need to refresh the index page every time I want to see which threads I've already read in the session.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm using Google Chrome on Windows 7 x64 Pro and the site seems pretty speedy to me. I used to run IE all the time and Firefox really didn't impress me much, but I love Chrome. It is quick and minimalist, which is exactly what I like. There is even a little plugin that allows you to open a tab as if it was IE (for sites that don't play well on Chrome [which I have found only 1 so far])

In short, give Chrome a try...you might just fall in love like I did

Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Wink Love MY Mac

Get a"Mac" ! Runs fast with "Firefox" Always had PC before but now have very few," if any", annoying problems

Old 03-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 122

Hmmm, tried Firefox and cerainly seems quite a bit quicker than IE

Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I concur with all of the other comments of load times utilizing IE8, and as stated this site is the only site that takes a substantial amount of time to load the thread. I have used Firefox in the past and was completely unimpressed so I have stuck with IE, but given the comments regarding Chrome, I am going to give that a try. I'll report back if it offers anything postitive/negative to report.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesn't really seem any slower than other forums I visit. I am
using a macbook with Verizon Fios. I hope you get it figured out and
don't give up.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using the google chrome browser with pretty good results on here

Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm on Vista with Firefox and it is very fast for me. No problems at all.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 118

Thanks for the positive comments too guys....always nice to get some of those and not just the negative ones

Old 06-17-2020, 12:50 AM
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Attempt 3 at typing this.... I'll try a bit at a time....

I have an incredcibly annoying problem that only happens with this site. My browser AUTO REFRESHES every 5 minutes - at which point it cuts off whatever I'm writing or reading and automaticall goes back to the top of the page. I'm tired of trying to speed read or speed type to try and beat it. Unfortunately I usually just end of leaving JF irked.

Posted this elsewhere an no answers came, so trying again here. It's very consistent and persistent. It happens on BOTH of my Macs - Chrom or Safari Browsers and it happens on TWO diffreent IOS devices.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:09 AM
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Part Two Attempt 2

Just
refreshed and lost the rest of my post twice again. so Ill be brief...

I originally posted this problem elsewhere and I learned from a mod or sr member that there is NO AUTO REFRESH feature built into the site. I get it. But that doesn't mean it doesn't keep happeneing - every single time I've signed on for the past year and a half. It's so annoying, I now go weeks or months without signing on because I cant deal with it. everything I write or read get cut short as it refreshes and the scrren goes blank and it goes back to the first post.

Please HELP. I like this site and want to participate. I get it that it's not a part of the site. But it WILL NOT STOP. cleaned the cookes and cache onboth browsers several times. Happens on iphone and ipad and two macs. DRVES ME NUTS. Got to go times up! THANKS for any help.

Quick Reply: Returning Member - still unimpressed.