Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Suggestion

Not to tell anyone how to run this forum, but I have a suggestion (not original!). As I own more than one vehicle, I am a member on several forums. One of them is W220 (MBZ) forum.

Over there they have a section called "Encyclopedia" where all resolved issues are "stickied", and are grouped into "systems" (body, electrical, engine, transmission, suspension, etc). New members are instructed to read the Encyclopedia first, and if they don't see the resolved problem like they have, to ask on the open forum. This cuts down on traffic, and eliminates repetition, plus it looks very organized, and MUCH easier to navigate. Almost all known issues are covered, and their solution as well. All pictorials, writeups, DIY instruction, and such, are over there.

I know it's a lot of work to get it all grouped and organized, but in the long run it saves the bandwidth, and moderating the same questions over and over.

Anyway,....you guys are doing a great job, and this is not to criticize, ....just a suggestion.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  19.3 KB

Thanks so much for the suggestion Daniel.

Believe it or not I have replied at length to this post several times, but due to forum issues they have sent astray, and I'm not writing it all out again...lol

Basically I know where you're coming from and have seen similar forums using the same structure, personally I think ours is better as the HOW TO posts are available in each section , stickied and clearly marked.

These sections are always being added to and worked on, upgraded etc.

Thanks Daniel

Old 11-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Thank you Jim, I was worried that this might be another Winter Job.

+1 on Jim's comments.

Plus if everyone had to read through an Encyclopedia, what would be the point of the forum. Pretty much all problems will have been seen before.

People tend to like a personal reply, to what to them is probably an important and personal problem.

It's a little like going to the Doctor and him giving you a copy of Gray's Anatomy with the instruction to read it.

We like the friendly approach around here, and NEVER the RTFM.

Although we do have the facility to include links to previously appropriate threads.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 39

Daniel, thanks for the suggestion, it is appreciated.

Please don't think that because we haven't taken it onboard we don't listen. We do listen and do take constructive criticism here, unlike some other forums.

Thanks again

Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Now for the ... cough ... contrarian view.

There are a number of boards where RTFM is de rigeur. What is also true of those boards is that the technical plane of the dicussions goes much further. Little stuff like the existence, location and proper interpretation of the dipstick just does not happen. Don't even dare ask how to change a headlight bulb. As a result, the remaining threads are more likely to delve into new areas or further into existing areas as opposed to regurgitating the same thing in a never ending circle.

YMMV.

hint: when posting a long reply it is handy to do a "select all", "copy to clipboard" before sending the reply. that way if it fails, it is still in the clipboard ready to paste into a new attempt.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 38

The boards that actively use the RTFM symbol or promote it are I guess populated by techs and 40 year veteran mechanics, all with know it all attitudes and personalities to match.

Its for those reasons that new members, shade tree mechanics, younger and older members, females etc don't join in.

Its irrelevant here at JF as that attitude will never prevail here.