63 Mark X for sale.. thoughts?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts
Default 63 Mark X for sale.. thoughts?

Hi all,

While perusing classifieds the other day, came across this '63 Mark X for sale

1963 Jaguar Mark X for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-483695

I have no experience with classic Jags at all, own an '05 XK8 now. I've admired the X/420G for quite some time and when I saw this specimen the low price just surprised me (along with its geographical proximity.. only one for sale I can find in the US and it's but 1.5 hours away.. fate?). Obviously it needs some work from the photos, and I know parts are hard to come by, but what should I look out for if I go take a look? I would only be restoring it as a driver for now at least, maybe show quality some time down the road.

Anyway, your thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Old 01-17-2014, 02:03 PM
GGG
Received 16,748 Likes on 12,141 Posts

I've gone through all 57 photos and come away with the nagging doubt the shiny paint is a quick 'flash over' hiding something serious. With a vehicle in that condition, there's a lot you would do first before thinking of paint.

A large number of photos but none of the $4K repair/restoration work.......

There's some obvious issues with the bottoms on the sills and the floor but it must be basically solid for them to have the confidence to put it on a four post lift.

The major plus is that everything seems to be there. I've known several who have started restorations with missing transmission / interior etc so this one has the potential to be a good project. However, be under no illusions of how much time and money it will cost to get it into 'good' let alone 'show' condition.

If I was interested in a MkX/420G then finding one that close would have me jumping in the car to go and have a look. You need to get up close to find out how much is filler and how far the rust has gone.

Graham

Old 01-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,418 Likes on 1,933 Posts

The main problem with these cars is rust ! That and lack of availability of replacement panels. They were never a popular car, Jaguar always struggled to sell them, so there are not many around now, so no after-market supplier is really interested in them. The well-know supplier of Jaguar body panels, Martin Robey, does list a few panels, but for the rest, you are on your own.

Martin Robey

On the mechanical and suspension side, much of it is common with other models of the era, so not usually too many problems there. The wheel sizes were a peculiar 14" size, making getting tyres for it somewhat problematic.

As regards internal trim, it is mostly stuff "off the roll", so usually no unobtainable plastic mouldings, but there is an awful lot to do and this alone makes it expensive to restore.

On the electrical side, it is mostly all standard Lucas stuff, but you might struggle to get the rear chrome light plinths if they are unrestorable.

If you do want the car, a physical inspection is absolutely essential before purchase, and test drive. The car really needs to be up on a ramp for an underside inspection.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM
jjd
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It looks to me to be a possible rolling restoration project, something to trick about with as you enjoy it. I reckon the last owner did a fair bit of bodging judging by the superglue holding on the mk10 badge and the acres of household grey carpet stuck on for door cards, pillars roofcloth etc. But it does look complete and reasonably straight and presentable. It just depends what you want to do and if its reasonably priced for your region. Plus its right hand drive. Surely that will negatively effect its price in the states, i know left hand drives here are worth 40% less than right hand drives straight off the bat. I would agree that the paint looks like a quick flick over and it appears to have been a silvery grey before judging by some of the engine bay pics. These cars are not hard to work on just that they are so big ( by european standards at least) and jobs take a lot of time. I guess a viewing is the only way to know for certain if its for you.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Good advice from 'jjd' from the Emerald Isle !

If you think this car is for you, (and it might well be), a detailed inspection and test drive is absolutely essential to avoid a lot of pain and anguish later on.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Hey all thanks for the replies! I did indeed go take a look at the car, and although there were 57 pictures, quite a bit miraculously didn't show up in them (surprise, surprise).

I'll start with the good: It was fairly complete as many of you noted. Nothing major appeared to be missing, which for a car this obscure in the states (not sure about across the pond) was a good starting point. Second, the car was supposedly owned by one family (father, son) and the son sold it to this dealer when his father passed away. But that's about where the good ended.

The bad: Brought a magnet with me to check for filler, and boy oh boy I think there was more of it under that Maaco Red paint job than there was metal. It's been a Michigan car most of it's life, and clearly was exposed to several decades worth of winter. Although the frame and rockers appeared solid.. in my non-expert opinion many of the panels were beyond saving (or at least beyond me saving them). And as many of you noted, most anything for these are hard to come by. And next.. Lucas electronics. The ad failed to mention that many, many of the components weren't working properly. Rear defrost, radio, some gauges, clock (of course..), lighter. Now, being inexperienced, I've never done much electrical work on a vehicle. And from what I've read, straightening out anything Lucas is never fun. jjd also made a good point on the lovely gray carpeting lavishly applied throughout.. which was damp on both passenger and driver's floor. Guy wouldn't let me peel it up to take a look, so the moisture was inconclusive. The floor pans didn't have holes in them, but newish non-original carpet that's wet makes me nervous.

Now, I want to clarify that I'm not blaming the dealer for misrepresenting the car. It was a small place, and this was the only Jag AND and the only car made before 1990 or so there. What I think is that whoever he got it from took a barn find, slapped the paint and carpet on it, talked up the rarity and sold it for a quick profit to someone as inexperienced as I am with these cars (he knew nothing about the car, really).

Now, despite the problems I described, I definitely think it has potential. After all, it was all there pretty much. Just more of a project than I care to take on or have the experience to work on myself.

He did sell it a few days ago, apparently, for less than half of what he was asking ( which I deduced from his calling me asking for only $4k to best the other interested party).. which is probably about fair.

Anyway, thanks again for all of your advice! I think I'll set my sights on a Series I XJ6 (maybe XJ6C/XJ12C if I'm lucky).. something a little more common with many more parts and better examples around.

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 01-22-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Even a Series 1 XJ will be a big challenge !

Again, rust is your main enemy with Jaguar cars until Ford took them over. Body panels for Series 1 XJs where they are different to Series 2 panels are also getting rare these days, and remember, the Mark 10 you looked at was still in production, (as the 420G), when the XJ came out in 1968, and continued until 1971 !

Good luck with finding your ideal project !

The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (01-23-2014)