Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

Just thought I'd Introduce Myself..........

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just thought I'd Introduce Myself..........

.........as I've just posted my first question.

I live in France but I'm still English despite Brexit. I bought a 1966 Jaguar MK10 about 2 months ago and I've been busying myself doing all those jobs you do whaen buying a 'new' old car. I've changed the plug, leads, hoses, filters oils, etc, etc, but I've reached the stage where I'm running out of ideas as to why it won't start easily or idle properly. I haven't even had chance to drive it yet, apart from the test drive.

I have a couple of other old cars 1975 MGB GT, 1966 Sunbeam Alpine, 1970 Austin 1100, 1983 Ford Transi camper van and 1983 Honder Silver Wing and I'm currently restoring a 1972 Morris 1100 2 door.

I'm looking for a forum whose members are REALLY REALLY knowledgable on MK10 Jaguars as I know nothing.......although I an leanring at a rate of knots.

Regards and I look fwd to being as active on here as I can be despite my relative newness to Jaguars.

Neil.

P.S.My pseudonym Tasng4 comes from my logon id at work and as I use it for everything it's easier for me to remember.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The cold start system is common to all the Jaguar saloons with SU carburettors and was troublesome even when the cars were current production ! There is a thermal switch somewhere in the coolant that detects warm-up and switches off the ASC, but a lot of people in the 60s put in a cut-out switch to stop enrichment a lot earlier. It does sound as if you need to get the carbs all balanced with each other, not an easy task with three of them. YOu can also get parts for the ASC from Burlen Fuel Systems.

The oil pressure problem could just be the pressure transmitter on top of the oil filter housing. This is a common failure item and is an electrical device.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know the cold start was common to all saloons and I have thought about installing a bypass switch.
The 'otter' switch is located in the water cooled inlet menifold and only supplies current to the ASC when cold which operates a solenoid which in turn opens an air way allowing air to pass into the ASC and also draw fuel from the front carb - I'm having problems dialling this in to give the correct mixture and this may be why there's back pressure through the ASC.
I believe all the carbs are balanced (all drawing about the same volume of air according to my flow meter).
I have tested the oil pressure with a mechanical pressure gauge, it's about 5-10 PSI higher, I've also fitted a new pressure transmitter as well as using a quality oil but it's still low.

I can't get it to idle at 700rpm.....it will do it for a while but it always drops to about 200 and eventually stalls. The idle bypass system is clean and allows fuel to bypass the closed butterfly valve but the slow running adjusting screws seem to have little or no effect.

I'm really at the end of my level of knowledge and feel I need someone who really know these Jaguar systems.