Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

MARK 5 with a chevy engine what is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MARK 5 with a chevy engine what is it worth?

SO there is beautiful MARK 5 for sale in the area, it has all the original interior etc, excellent condition, no rust original chrome, looks like it has been a garage queen all its life.

The engine and tranny have been replaced with a chevy engine and tranny and with this all the other components, radiator, electrical, exhaust etc have been replaced and upgraded.

Now the good news is this vehicle is very reliable and will last a long time. I have no plans to show it enter contests or any of that type of thing as I am thinking it would not do well and I have no real interest in this type of activity.

The bad news is I have no idea how to set a price for this or make an offer

So anyone have an idea what it might be worth or how to price it ?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,436 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Wow, that is an old car ! They were only made up to about 1951 when the much more modern-looking Mark VII came out. You are right about it not doing well at shows with the Chevrolet engine etc. It is difficult to judge values, but I would have thought about 50-60% of the price of the same car and condition, with the original engine. If the engine was a Jaguar, i.e someone had put an XK 3.4 in it it would be worth more, I think. The XK engine was actually in small scale production when the Mark 5 was around, as it was put into the XK120. Mark Vs had the old pre-war 6 with pushrod OHV. Chassis is almost the same as the XK120, I think.
If can pay the right price, you should enjoy it, these cars had a good reputation when they were new.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 307 Likes on 240 Posts

The price is most likely less that a restored one but it to me depends on the quality of the custom work. If it was a modern aluminum GM V8 it would have a higher resale value than an old 350 chevy.

I have seen MKII or 3.8S where an old school 350 would sell for $8K to 15K versus a restored stock would sell $15-40K; the price varies based on how well the work was done. But then if they were done with a modern aluminum GM V8 done very professionally they could sell for $15-35K or a Jaguar V8 like the Beacham Jaguars that sell a MKII customized with a Jag V8 modern interior, wheels, mirors, etc. and sells for $100K which is more than a perfectly restored stock MKII. To me putting more reliable V8 if done right may not depreciate the value much as there are many whom want the style of the Jag but want more reliability and lower maintenance.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it hasn't got a Jag engine it isn't a proper Jag no matter what anyone says; and bearing in mind the prices other posters mention, don't get caught paying too much because of over-enthusiasm.
I do not know your finances, but if it's possible to get it at a cheap price and to locate an original engine/gearbox (perhaps Fraser might know if these are available), that would be wonderful.
If you can't you can still enjoy it. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

As long as you like the looks and there is no rust issues I think the car is worth about 15-20K depending again on if the modificaitons were done professionally. I have seen un-restored Mark 5's in the 7-9K, stock ones in good shape around 20K and concourse cars 2-4 times that.

Unless you want to make it a concourse car where it must be original to win then enjoy and have fun with it. Also there are car shows for modified sedan class where it does not need an original Jag motor to win. I used to be in the car show circuit and won man shows with other cars that were modified. There is a huge variety of class' for car shows from stock, un restored, modified, etc. It does not need a Jag motor to compete in many class' of car shows.

I know some Jag owners find it sacra-ligous to have a non Jag motor but for a daily driver or reliable driver I am all for using a Chevy V8. I am restoring a 3.8S Jag that had an old Chevy iron block v8 to a new modern GM V8. It is a much more reliable and powerful motor than the stock engine. Have fun.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:27 AM

I still maintain what I say - it should not be worth much if it doesn't have a Jag engine; this is a Jaguar forum, and I'm certain that many members would admit that there would always be this feeling of having 'half' a Jag if the car didn't have a Jaguar engine.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Cool To each his own but there are many whom prefer a non Jag engine

Originally Posted by jrwb
I still maintain what I say - it should not be worth much if it doesn't have a Jag engine; this is a Jaguar forum, and I'm certain that many members would admit that there would always be this feeling of having 'half' a Jag if the car didn't have a Jaguar engine.
To each his own but there many whom would rather have a non Jaguar engine and drive train for reliability and more power. I know your feelings as I also collect Datsun Z cars and I have spent considerablely more money to enable them to stay Datsun engines to keep it all Datsun I do not look down on others whom have gone with non Datsun engines. In order for my Datsun engines to have 1000 HP one would spend tens of thousands more but that is a personal preference.

I appreciate your committment to retain all Jaguar parts and everyone has their own preferences. There is no right way but rather what each individual prefers.

For me I love the Jaguar shape and design but the fact is that they are not that reliable nor have that much power. For me I want the style but want a reliable daily driver that can go well over 200,000 miles without worries and have over 400 HP that provides a smooth power band in all types of traffic so that means a non Jag motor for me but that is just me.

A well done resto mod Jag will command good money if done professionally as I have seen many sell for more than a factory restored car. If you want all Jaguar and share my same desire for modern drive train you can spend about $90,000 to $100,000 and get a Beacham Jaguar which takes the old MKII puts modern styling, air bags, modern electric jag seats, improved performance in suspension, steering, a new Jag V8, etc. and does it to incredible detail and fit and finish.

Or if you feel the modern Jaguar V8's are reliable you could install a late model Jaguar V8 to keep it all Jaguar. I know that the more modern Jag motors are more reliable but they do cost a bit more than a GM LS V8 but that is an option for others whom want to keep it all Jag.

I appreciate all Jaguars, would love to own a Beacham Jaguar but for me I am not as passionate about Jaguars to spend that kind of money on one.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So what do you want Primaz?
A Jag with a non Jag engine?
A Jag with non Jag electrics?
A jag with non Jag body?

A Jaguar is a Jaguar. Take away anything from that and you don't have a Jaguar.

That is what owning a Jaguar means IMO.

If you want performance - buy my GTR, Subaru or Ducati.

If you want a nice ride - buy either of my Jaguars.

Last edited by direng; 06-19-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile update

So about a month ago I offered the owner $20K cash as the rest of the vehicle is in pristine shape. He wants $40 K so I have been waiting for the next move, the vehicle is still for sale. It does run exceptionally well and the conversion was well done.

Thanks for the input I would have paid to much without this forum as I was ready to acquire this beauty.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by primaz
To each his own but there many whom would rather have a non Jaguar engine and drive train for reliability and more power. I know your feelings as I also collect Datsun Z cars and I have spent considerablely more money to enable them to stay Datsun engines to keep it all Datsun I do not look down on others whom have gone with non Datsun engines. In order for my Datsun engines to have 1000 HP one would spend tens of thousands more but that is a personal preference.

I appreciate your committment to retain all Jaguar parts and everyone has their own preferences. There is no right way but rather what each individual prefers.

For me I love the Jaguar shape and design but the fact is that they are not that reliable nor have that much power. For me I want the style but want a reliable daily driver that can go well over 200,000 miles without worries and have over 400 HP that provides a smooth power band in all types of traffic so that means a non Jag motor for me but that is just me.

A well done resto mod Jag will command good money if done professionally as I have seen many sell for more than a factory restored car. If you want all Jaguar and share my same desire for modern drive train you can spend about $90,000 to $100,000 and get a Beacham Jaguar which takes the old MKII puts modern styling, air bags, modern electric jag seats, improved performance in suspension, steering, a new Jag V8, etc. and does it to incredible detail and fit and finish.

Or if you feel the modern Jaguar V8's are reliable you could install a late model Jaguar V8 to keep it all Jaguar. I know that the more modern Jag motors are more reliable but they do cost a bit more than a GM LS V8 but that is an option for others whom want to keep it all Jag.

I appreciate all Jaguars, would love to own a Beacham Jaguar but for me I am not as passionate about Jaguars to spend that kind of money on one.
I'm not quite sure where you get your information from about Jaguars being underpowered and their engines unreliable. Perhaps you are referring to the old SAE gross horsepower ratings that made American cars look more powerful than anybody else's. The first Jaguar XJ12 was the fastest
production saloon in the world when it was introduced in 1972 (Autocar), and before that the Mk2 Jaguar was running the pants off most of the competition. The E Type was doing the same. The XK engine in its basic form was used from the late forties until the eighties, and had an excellent reputation, and so did the V12. The AJ6 engine has been described as 'bulletproof' and produces as much as, if not more, horsepower than similar sized engines from its competitors. An XJ40 Jaguar fitted with a 3.6 or 4.0 AJ6 engine is good for 60 in around 8 seconds, and when compared with Mercs and BMWs of the time, it is no laggard, and quite often faster. Read test figures; perhaps you are referring to the older 2.8 and 2.9 XK and AJ6 engines which were discontinued.
Jaguars have always had quirks and niggles, but to my knowledge, these were not engine problems, and quite frankly, I have no time for people who abuse their cars, don't know how to tune or maintain them properly, and when problems occur - run around bad-mouthing the car.
Why do you think there was a time in England when a Jag was referred to as the 'barrow-man's Rolls' - because you got so much value for money. Series 1-3 XJ6s, at a fraction of the cost of a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow gave one all the performance, ride and equipment - the only difference was it wasn't marked 'RR.'
The advent of the new XJ promises to continue the magic, and without a damned Datsun engine under the bonnet.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Everyone has their own desires for JRWB & direng your passion is keeping a Jaguar stock and that is great. For me I do not want a bike nor performance station wagon, what I want is a retro Jag. One that has the style but has been improved performance to keep up with today's technology. I have performance cars faster than most cars one can buy stock but those are pure sports cars, what I am building is a four doors and a trunk Jaguar that is modified to have modern day technology.

Sure the 3.8s and early solons were great back in the 50's to 60's:
3.4 Mark 2 automatic
0–60 mph 10.0 sec
Max speed 118 mph (190 km/h)
3.4S manual/overdrive
0–60 mph 13.9 sec
Max speed 115 mph (185 km/h)
3.8S manual/overdrive
0–60 10.3 sec
Max speed 125 mph (201 km/h)
3.8S automatic
0–60 mph 11.5 sec
Max speed 116 mph (187 km/h)

but we are now in 2011 and right now a econo box could blow the doors off of them. You may not like my Jag and that is totally cool. For me it is my Jag and will look on the outside like a relatively stock Jag but on the inside I will have much more comfortable electronic seats with head rests, have the driving performance of a modern car with AC, power steering, improved suspension and power so that I will have performance that can keep up with comprable modern day sedans which is definately not 0 to 60 in 10 seconds.

The poster of this entry was ok with considering buying a Jag with a non Jag engine. So clearly I am not the one trying to impose my opinions on him but rather share my information as I have a retro jag. Keeping a jag 100% stock is not for everyone but I appreciate those whom have that passion, it is not me nor does it appear to be the passion of kimsxj8.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by primaz
Everyone has their own desires for JRWB & direng your passion is keeping a Jaguar stock and that is great. For me I do not want a bike nor performance station wagon, what I want is a retro Jag. One that has the style but has been improved performance to keep up with today's technology. I have performance cars faster than most cars one can buy stock but those are pure sports cars, what I am building is a four doors and a trunk Jaguar that is modified to have modern day technology.

Sure the 3.8s and early solons were great back in the 50's to 60's:
3.4 Mark 2 automatic
0–60 mph 10.0 sec
Max speed 118 mph (190 km/h)
3.4S manual/overdrive
0–60 mph 13.9 sec
Max speed 115 mph (185 km/h)
3.8S manual/overdrive
0–60 10.3 sec
Max speed 125 mph (201 km/h)
3.8S automatic
0–60 mph 11.5 sec
Max speed 116 mph (187 km/h)

but we are now in 2011 and right now a econo box could blow the doors off of them. You may not like my Jag and that is totally cool. For me it is my Jag and will look on the outside like a relatively stock Jag but on the inside I will have much more comfortable electronic seats with head rests, have the driving performance of a modern car with AC, power steering, improved suspension and power so that I will have performance that can keep up with comprable modern day sedans which is definately not 0 to 60 in 10 seconds.

The poster of this entry was ok with considering buying a Jag with a non Jag engine. So clearly I am not the one trying to impose my opinions on him but rather share my information as I have a retro jag. Keeping a jag 100% stock is not for everyone but I appreciate those whom have that passion, it is not me nor does it appear to be the passion of kimsxj8.
My dear fellow, a 1956 Morris Minor is faster than a 1910 Model T; so that argument is pointless. I have no reason to doubt the performance figures you have posted, but note that I compared the Jaguars with cars of their own era. You will note that the 2011 XJ Jag,depending on model, is still running the pants off the competition, and quite often much cheaper.

Quite frankly I consider it an insult to customize and 'modernize' cars like Jags, BMWs and Mercs; these are already excellent performers, especially in Jaguarsport, M Series and AMG versions - that should be left to lower classed American and Japanese cars. As for that underlined part, please don't argue about that; that's the consensus of just about all motoring journalists, I mean the part about 'lower class'...not the 'customizing' part.

Last edited by Cadillac; 06-27-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs down

Again, the person whom started this post clearly was fine with a non Jaguar engine and did not care about it being stock to the nut and bolts yet you are the one imposing your personal bias. I am sharing my information as the poster and me share our opinions about being ok with a modified Jag; you need to read the post and stop trying to make everyone have your beliefs as that is never going to happen.

Anyone whom starts insulting other people and cars is just not worth my time.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

My thoughts on this emotive issue have always been that there are two schools, as is clearly demonstrated here.

There will be the group that must have everything totally original even down to a windscreen wiper blade. My BIL being an example of this with his gorgeous Cosworth Saphire.

The other group will retain certain features such as bodywork, but may make major modifications to engine, drivetrain, etc etc.

Both groups are taken care of in the Car show/competition world, each with their own classes.

Here on this forum we have examples from both groups.

We have some massively modified XJS cars with big turbo'd jap engines and comp suspension.

We have S1 to 111 XJ6s with lumps,

We have some hugely expensively modified XKRs. (with some pro XK series racers around).

We have guys that are rejuvenating older cars.

We have X and S Typers looking for improvements in performance/reliability or economy.

And we have my rusting XJ40, which if I ever need to change tyres again I will need to buy aftermarket wheels because Pirelli 225/65/15 W rated tyres are no longer available even direct from Pirelli and are not listed on their website. (so I can't keep it original even if I wanted to) and as for this size from Michelin, they stopped years ago.

In my opinion, everyone is welcome, whatever school they are in.

So if someone wants to buy, run or build a car that is not 100% nut and bolt original, if it keeps you happy then go right ahead.

I think that I've spouted on long enough, live and let live, life's too short, lets move on.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:31 PM

I consider it a sign of weakness when, confronted with facts, certain people assume they are being bullied into accepting these facts instead of presenting their own arguments.
Whether the moderators of these forums like it or not, most, if not all, motoring journalists consider cars like BMWs, Jaguars, Audis, Mercedes-Benz' to be superior to Japanese and American makes, to say nothing of Ferraris and Bugattis.
If I cannot make 'free speech' remarks about different brands of automobile, something done regularly in all motor magazines, then my membership in these forums is pointless.
If free speech is considered insulting to some, then reviews and tests of cars are useless and immoral and should be banned internationally.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,169 Likes on 1,613 Posts

@jwrb

What was being politely pointed out to the readership at large is that there are mutliple points of views and multiple ways to enjoy ownership.

The short version is: "to each, their own".

There is no "one true way" as much as you would like it to be.

Some people are "car" enthusiasts, some people are "jaguar" enthusiasts. Their possesions have 4 wheels, but the end result is not necessarily the same.

The other posters accepted your comments as your comments on the matter, you should also be able to do the same without needing to play the "free speech" card. Indeed, if you assert the "free speech" argument, then you *must* also accept that others are equally entitled to "free speech" and equally entitled to the *content" of *their* free speech.

The domain, "the-one-and-only-true-jaguar-way.com" is probably available for registration should this be disagreeable to you.

Last edited by plums; 06-27-2011 at 08:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by plums:
Doug (06-27-2011), jrwb (06-27-2011), primaz (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 PM

I consider it a sign of weakness when, confronted with facts, certain people assume they are being bullied into accepting these facts instead of presenting their own arguments.
Whether the moderators of these forums like it or not, most, if not all, motoring journalists consider cars like BMWs, Jaguars, Audis, Mercedes-Benz' to be superior to Japanese and American makes, to say nothing of Ferraris and Bugattis.
If I cannot make 'free speech' remarks about different brands of automobile, something done regularly in all motor magazines, then my membership in these forums is pointless.
If free speech is considered insulting to some, then reviews and tests of cars are useless and immoral and should be banned internationally.
My Dear Plums,

It would be advisable to read a post properly before commenting on it; I have highlighted the section you ignored.

The remainder of your comments are merely reinforcing what I said in the original post.

If I am able to convey my ideas and opinions in a clearer and more concise manner than other posters, please do not attempt to berate me; it is very unfair.

I do have the right to express my opinions just as others do; and it is entirely up to them to respond in their own way. I have used no foul language, I have made no personal insulting remarks, and neither have I called anyone names.

We are not little girls playing with dolls or having tea parties and running to Mummy if something goes wrong; rather we are Men (or Women) discussing cars and agreeing or disagreeing in a grownup manner with the right to say something is inferior or superior without someone developing some kind of persecution syndrome.

It has just occurred to me that some of us may be employed by or derive some benefit from some of the car manufacturers. There is nothing wrong with this, and if I have offended these people I sincerely apologize.

It's not **** Germany, communist Russia or modern day Canada...

Old 06-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,810 Likes on 7,121 Posts

Freedom of speech is between you and your government.

The moderators of this forum are not obligated to guarantee your freedom of speech. They can allow or disallow whatever speech they want according to rules they make...or even on pure whimsy.

However, it's clear to me, by inference and outright statements, that all opinons and points of view are welcome and encouraged here unless or until it looks likes the conversation is headed towards the edge of a cliff....at which point they'll typically ask that we settle down a bit and let the contentious matter go.

As far being insulted or insulting goes, well, that really has little to do with freedom of speech. It relates more closely to manners and sensitivities.....and how deeply we dig our heels on differences of opinion or taste.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Freedom of speech is between you and your government.

The moderators of this forum are not obligated to guarantee your freedom of speech. They can allow or disallow whatever speech they want according to rules they make...or even on pure whimsy.

However, it's clear to me, by inference and outright statements, that all opinons and points of view are welcome and encouraged here unless or until it looks likes the conversation is headed towards the edge of a cliff....at which point they'll typically ask that we settle down a bit and let the contentious matter go.

As far being insulted or insulting goes, well, that really has little to do with freedom of speech. It relates more closely to manners and sensitivities.....and how deeply we dig our heels on differences of opinion or taste.

Cheers
DD
I think you are being unfair to the Moderators - you're making them into tyrants, and I do not think they want to be seen in quite that way, so have a heart and not be so hard on them...

Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,810 Likes on 7,121 Posts

My dear fellow, a 1956 Morris Minor is faster than a 1910 Model T; so that argument is pointless. I have no reason to doubt the performance figures you have posted, but note that I compared the Jaguars with cars of their own era. You will note that the 2011 XJ Jag,depending on model, is still running the pants off the competition, and quite often much cheaper.

True enough, but this does nothing for the person who prefers older Jaguar styling combined with modern levels of performance. For that person, a swap to a modern engine is a perfectly good way of achieving the objective.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
primaz (06-28-2011)

Quick Reply: MARK 5 with a chevy engine what is it worth?