MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

1967 S Type, Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 S Type, Power Steering

I am leaking quite a lot of power steering fluid. It looks like it is coming from the Steering Box. Are there Repair Kits available? Are they difficult to remove and re-install? I am an amateur mechanic. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 680 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryBHigbee

I am leaking quite a lot of power steering fluid. It looks like it is coming from the Steering Box. Are there Repair Kits available? Are they difficult to remove and re-install? I am an amateur mechanic. Thanks in advance.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...mk-2-a-176233/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...eering-174460/

There are no parts to rebuild them, but what goes wrong are the internal O-rings leaking, so those are replaceable.
With yours the leak is probably coming from the main drop shaft, the O-rings in there are probably quite hard and not doing there job any more.

You will have to source the O-rings your self.

Bushings wear out too, but any competent machine shop can help you.

The recirculating ball box can be a challenge to get into if you're not comfortable with some-what complex workings of it.

There are kits too for rack and pinion, but they are not inexpensive and I think there is some fabrication involved, but I would have to check and make sure of that.

Last edited by JeffR1; 06-05-2017 at 12:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GaryBHigbee (06-29-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,833 Posts

ask at the S type Register forum, there are other S type owners who have rebuilt their boxes or replaced them.

Jaguar 'S'-type Register

Old 06-28-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the 1966 S Type with the Burman power steering box and I understood that they could not be repaired. I installed a front suspension from a 420, with a better PSBox and better brakes. It was a pretty easy swap and I was able to rebuild the new front suspension at my leisure while still driving the car.
P.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 680 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Carson City Smith
I had the 1966 S Type with the Burman power steering box and I understood that they could not be repaired. I installed a front suspension from a 420, with a better PSBox and better brakes. It was a pretty easy swap and I was able to rebuild the new front suspension at my leisure while still driving the car.
P.
On that box, there is a high pressure line that feeds oil to the top of the main drop shaft.
In this case the oil pressure does nothing but hold the drop shaft in place, it's not supposed to flow anywhere.

The oil pressure is prevented from entering the chamber of the box from a bushing with high tolerance (close clearance) and an "O" ring.
When the bushing and "O" ring fail, the pressure builds inside the box where it's not supposed to be.

It gets hot and smokes when this happens.

A good machine shop can fabricate new bushings and all the internal "O" rings can be had from other sources.

On mine it also leaked out the bottom of the box quite badly.
The lower bushing on the drop shaft is vey long and has lots of surface area _mine was not worn, but the three "O" rings that seal the shaft were hard as rocks.

The following users liked this post:
GaryBHigbee (06-29-2017)