MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Steering options Mk 2

Old 02-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering options Mk 2

From what I've researched the only option to fix a worn out power steering box is to replace it with a rack & pinion after market kit as sold by XJs. With the re built power steering pump, R&P kit & about 18-20 hts labor all in at a shop is just under 4k. I'm just wondering if theres any other reasonable options out there I'm not a mechanic and and will be having work done by a shop so by reasonable I mean a fix that is substantially less than 4k. And if anybody done the kit modification I'd like to hear how it went. The thing that has me concerned about tackling it myself is the description of the kit says steering shaft needs to shortened and thats something I could not do. And I would think the sub frame would have to come off the car & I would not want to tackle that either.
Thanks
Lou

Old 02-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

My car has the recirculating ball type (can't remember the actual name, but it may be Burman).
It became hot and smoked, there is a high pressure line that holds down the main drop out shaft and the sealing "O" rings had failed which allowed oil under high pressure to enter the steering box where it wasn't supposed too.
The internal bore was also badly grooved, so my machine shop sleeved it.
They also machined some custom bushings and with new "O" rings all around, it's good now.

It depends how resourceful your machine shop is.

My unit itself is complicated as far as steering boxes are concerned, the recirculating ***** are not all the same size, half of them are a few thou. smaller then the rest.
They have to be installed alternately so the screw shaft doesn't bind.
The ***** are measured and placed in the correct order held in place with grease.
The grease holds the ***** in place while the unit is carefully put back together.

They are rebuildable, but you have to find a machine shop capable of doing the job.

You say you're not a mechanic, so someone else would be doing the work for you, that may be a challenge in it self to find someone skilled enough to do the work of dis-re-assembly.

Last edited by JeffR1; 02-04-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:25 PM

Thanks Jeff, I just ran across a rebuilt box from ICS I sent them an email about shipping to USA and that may be an option theres a good youtube video on what they do to the box and make into a higher ratio steering box. Just replacing the pump and box would be a job I could do. Being a LHD car there seems to plenty of room to work on those components.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

YOu might be able to find an Adwest-made Marles Varamatic steering box that was fitted to the last of the Mark 2s and also the S-Type, the 420, and the 420G. As I understand it, these are long-lived, and are a simple bolt-on.

The box has a variable steering ratio using a worm and roller action with the worm track cut so a to give a low ratio straight ahead and a high one when on lock. The power assistance is provided by an internal servo piston.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Lou,

First off rather than XK's, I recommend you contact Terry at Jag Outlet as he sells a better bracket and will sell you the rest of the power steering parts. Then since you are in the Bay Area I recommend you contact Dando's Automotive in Fremont, CA. They can do the install and I think they can do the install in one or two days.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by primaz
Lou,

First off rather than XK's, I recommend you contact Terry at Jag Outlet as he sells a better bracket and will sell you the rest of the power steering parts. Then since you are in the Bay Area I recommend you contact Dando's Automotive in Fremont, CA. They can do the install and I think they can do the install in one or two days.
Thank-You ! I will contact those guy's Monday and hopefully get something lined up. I'm not sure what part is the bracket ? And are you talking about a kit like XK's sells or something similar that uses stock pump and replaces steering box ?
Lou

Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by loubrava
Thank-You ! I will contact those guy's Monday and hopefully get something lined up. I'm not sure what part is the bracket ? And are you talking about a kit like XK's sells or something similar that uses stock pump and replaces steering box ?
Lou

Yes, the XK's Unlimited kit has a bracket but the angle of the bracket is not as good as the one Jag Outlet sells. The bracket enables a modern Jaguar power steering rack and pump to be used in the MKII or 3.8S which replaces the stock setup. Buy the parts from Jag Outlet and Ken at Dando's can install it for you. I would call Terry at Jag Outlet to get all the parts and once you get them you can have Dando's install it.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by primaz
Yes, the XK's Unlimited kit has a bracket but the angle of the bracket is not as good as the one Jag Outlet sells. The bracket enables a modern Jaguar power steering rack and pump to be used in the MKII or 3.8S which replaces the stock setup. Buy the parts from Jag Outlet and Ken at Dando's can install it for you. I would call Terry at Jag Outlet to get all the parts and once you get them you can have Dando's install it.
Thanks,
I'll try them again, I called Terry's and the sales person I spoke with said they offer nothing for MK 2 power steering except a seal kit. I didn't mention to them about a bracket for putting a modern power steering unit in it. And the person I spoke with wasn't real sure about the power steering set up and had check on a few things and call me back so they probably didn't know about that bracket.
Lou

Old 02-07-2017, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks,
I'll try them again, I called Terry's and the sales person I spoke with said they offer nothing for MK 2 power steering except a seal kit. I didn't mention to them about a bracket for putting a modern power steering unit in it. And the person I spoke with wasn't real sure about the power steering set up and had check on a few things and call me back so they probably didn't know about that bracket.
Lou

Ask for Terry 800 706-5247 or 805 593-0524 at Jag Outlet, email is parts@jagoutlet.com Terry will know what you need.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:59 PM

Well the options I found (with your guy's help) are actually pretty good choices IMO. I went with option 4 as it seemed more bang for the buck, Terry at Jag outlet is very helpful even offered to guide me through install if I wanted to do it myself.
I'm having it done by the local shop well worth the expense IMO. I'll post up results of road test when she's done.

Option 1. You can send your stock box and pump to Vintage Jag works and they will rebuild your box for $800-$900 and the pump for about $250 if you need that done with about aprx. 3-4 week turn around. Good choice to keep car stock
2. You can by a close ratio steering box rebuild kit from ICS in the UK for about $460 eur. and do it yourself if you want.
3. Buy a R&P bolt on kit from XKs I was quoted about $3500 for install and kit they figure about 20hrs of labor to install at $100 an hr.
4. Buy a R&P kit from Jag outlet in SLO about $1400 for the kit and I was quoted about a 7hr labor install from local shop who's done one.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

I was wondering when someone was going to mention Vintage Jag works (option 1) I figured Walt rebuilt steering boxes, but wasn't sure. He does fabulous work judging from the couple of items that he has rebuilt for me.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by csbush
I was wondering when someone was going to mention Vintage Jag works (option 1) I figured Walt rebuilt steering boxes, but wasn't sure. He does fabulous work judging from the couple of items that he has rebuilt for me.
I might have gone that route but I didn't want to wait 3-4 weeks since we just got the car we want drive it ! Also I'm telling myself that the R&P kit will be an upgrade in the steering but that's something I really not sure of
What's interesting is that Walt is dead set against the R&P kit saying the MK 2 isn't designed for R&P and it's bad idea to put these kits for safety reasons. I'm hoping he's wrong. After taking with Terry jag outlet He has never heard of the kits causing any problems and he's been selling them a long time. I'm trusting his kit and having it professionally installed feeling confident I made right decision. I didn't fully understand Walts explanation on the safety factor as my knowledge of steering parts is limited. Anyway food for thought if you need your steering fixed. It would be great to hear from anybody who's done the kit.

The following users liked this post:
csbush (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Have you seen xjr mk2 posts,doug has a r&p on his mk2 jag think its from a xj,
and I have one on my mk2 coupe 2 door,from an x type.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by DaimlerMK2
Have you seen xjr mk2 posts,doug has a r&p on his mk2 jag think its from a xj,
and I have one on my mk2 coupe 2 door,from an x type.
No I haven't seen those posts I'll check it out. How do you like the R&P set up ? I really won't be able to compare the R&P kit to a proper functioning steering box because mine was shot when we got the car.
Lou

Old 02-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

No I haven't seen those posts I'll check it out. How do you like the R&P set up ? I really won't be able to compare the R&P kit to a proper functioning steering box because mine was shot when we got the car.
Lou

Lou, I am sure you and your wife will enjoy the steering upgrade. These cars are 50 years old so for a car you want to drive and enjoy things like steering, tires, headlights, and brakes are things you might want to upgrade so the car is more enjoyable driving in our modern times.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

I'm going with R&P on mine, same rack as Doug used, what is the best solution for the pump with a straight 6 3.4 and alternator conversion ? I already have the rack, just need to source pump configuration.

I may make up brackets to fit where the idler and box fitted, Doug couldn't do that with the cut down crossmember, but I can't get the bracket Jag Outlet sells as it's for a different rack !

Last edited by TilleyJon; 02-10-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:14 PM

I was looking at an electric pump for mine,
what rack have you got TilleyJon

Last edited by DaimlerMK2; 02-10-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

This is the type I have, this is a picture of Doug Doreen's installation, I am using this as reference.

I will look at electric pumps, I haven't thought of that option.

Thank you for that suggestion

Jon

Attached Thumbnails Steering options Mk 2-rack-mount3.jpg  
Old 02-10-2017, 04:14 PM

I think the rack is from an XJ6 s2/3,
Dave

Old 02-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TilleyJon
I'm going with R&P on mine, same rack as Doug used, what is the best solution for the pump with a straight 6 3.4 and alternator conversion ? I already have the rack, just need to source pump configuration.

I may make up brackets to fit where the idler and box fitted, Doug couldn't do that with the cut down crossmember, but I can't get the bracket Jag Outlet sells as it's for a different rack !

The bracket that Jag Outlet sells is a better designed version of the XK's Unlimited power steering kit that uses a later model Jaguar rack and this setup is typically for the stock inline 6. Keep in mind the bracket can be a complex thing as those angles can really affect how well the power steering functions, etc. That is one of the reasons I kept the stock front suspension and modified it. While modifying the stock creates some other issues for my V8 setup the advantage is things like power steering I can use the Jag Outlet bracket used for the inline 6.

Brackets can be a real challenge. Another reason I went with an LS is there are many custom brackets for the pulley setup to do various serpentine designs and various types to handle many different clearance issues. Good luck Jon, I know it can be done but it will be a bit of trial and error...

Search this Thread