MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...

Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts
Default 3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...

We just finished the rear suspension! The basket was strengthened with custom welded bracing, the control arms were also beefed up with cross plates welded to make it stronger, the coil overs were replaced with adjustable coil overs so we can lower the car and keep the full height springs, the body section above the rear suspension was painted with Por-15 chasis black to prevent any chance of rust, and we stuffed the wheel wells with just about as wide as possible with 17" x 8.5" rims running 245 40 series tires.

The fenders will be rolled when it goes to the body shop to ensure plenty of clearance. We will be lowering the car so the stance will be much lower than it is on the rack. I think the maximum you can stuff in a 3.83.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070552.jpg

3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070553.jpg

3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070554.jpg

3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070555.jpg

3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070558.jpg

3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070560.jpg

3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070563.jpg

3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070562.jpg

3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070567.jpg

3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070566.jpg

3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070564.jpgwould be 1/4" wider in the inside which might fit a 255 tire but that would be the total maximum width.

You can also see the new power steering rack installed.

We are now working on modifying the engine bay to fit the big LS1 General Motors aluminum block aluminum head V8. Once we fit the motor we will seal up any of the uneeded holes the previous owner hacked.

Then the car will go to the body shop to strip the undercarriage which will be painted with Por-15 as well as the engine bay, and painting a stock hood. I will probably straighted out the minor dents in the bumper and re-chrome it. Then the car will get re-assembled!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

That looks really good, now you can take a break for Christmas.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

I really hope to get the car done ASAP maybe by Feb/March? as I want to transition the 3.8s to be my daily driver!

I cannot wait to have it done and see how cool it will look with those big tires slammed down as low as possible and see how the 450 horsepower feels!

Old 12-23-2011, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

When the XJ Coupe V12s were raced in the 70s, the final weak link was found to be the hub carriers, which cracked and broke under racing stresses. I am not sure what was done, if anything, to cure this, because the race program was terminated early due to cost.

The following users liked this post:
primaz (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip, we noticed the same flaw in the Jaguar design but as long as I do not hot rod it off a stand still I think it should be fine. We did modify the more straight forward issues like the basket holding the rear end, brakes, etc. definately needed more strength and the control arms also needed more bracing. To me the issue is that it does not provide upper bracing to the hub carrier like a other independant suspension desings like dual "A" arms set ups like the Datsuns so if you really jump on it when at a stand still it will want to rotate and twist the hub and only the control arm, axle, etc. that providing strength and only at the left, right, and bottom not the top. Most independant suspension are not really set up for 1/4 mile hard launches but a Jag is a sports car so as long as the rear wheels are already in motion it should take steady acceleration, I just need to not drive it like a high school kid wanting to do burn outs as the suspension is just not made for that. You can see the issue on the pic I posted, notice that there is not support on the top but the beefing up of the control arm, and basket should help enough for decent accelerations.

If anyone is aware of any aftermarket or race improvements to the hub carriers I would love to learn about them. When we finally get her on the street I will let you know how it drives. It will definately have plenty of power and I will gradually test it to see how far we can safely push her for reliable street use.

Attached Thumbnails 3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-p1070553.jpg  

Last edited by primaz; 12-25-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Default I think I have the problem solved!

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
When the XJ Coupe V12s were raced in the 70s, the final weak link was found to be the hub carriers, which cracked and broke under racing stresses. I am not sure what was done, if anything, to cure this, because the race program was terminated early due to cost.
I am investigating this and will report back later. It might have to wait until near the completion of the car as the suspension needs to be aligned before I can take measurements so they can make one for the 3.8s. I knew there was a solution as many Cobra owners use the same rear suspension with much higher HP motors and they do this and other elaborate improvements but this one mount along with what I have already done should be able to let me get full use of the 450HP without maybe even babying the throttle at all?

This mounts right onto the stock hub carrier!

Attached Thumbnails 3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-rearhubcarrier_complete_kit_002.jpg  
Old 12-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Yes, I can see you have got it fully weighed up.

The only thing I can see stopping the carrier from rotating is the very long lower trunnion bearing and the wide spaced bearings on the lower wishbone; good enough for most applications including the stock V12 , but weak with modern very high power engines. Those V12s of the 70s programme were pretty awsome in their time.

I assume that rig you showed the pic of, locates the hubcarrier fully.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

I just built one of these rear axles and it was not easy, yet fun.
My question is, is it hard to fit more recent front axle, with steering rack, into MK2, or S-type? I suppose S-type and MK2 are similar in the front?
I am not asking about independent rear for my MK2, because I know it is not worth the trouble, since I will be using stock 3.8L, with no power mods.
Thanks

Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

The "Watts Linkage" for the independent rear Jaguar suspension prevents the twist that could occur yet allows it to move up and down with no resistance. Cobra owners whom use our Jaguar rear independent suspension use this same Watts Linkage to be able to handle the power with no issues of the hub carrier cracking, etc.
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/434/picture001.mp4

They have a similar type modification to strengthen the rear part of the suspension but when talking to Acton Custom Enterprises, LLC.
33 Wildwood Drive
Holderness, NH 03245
(603) 279-0241 Shop
whom makes the kit, he said that for my horsepower of roughly 500 does not require that extra support. They have used this same Watts Linkage on a stock Jaguar rear suspension like we have with a Cobra with similar HP where they have pushed the throttle hard through all forward and reverse gears with no issues and the car has over 100,000 miles with no suspension issues. I think the additional bracing would only be needed if I added a blower to the LS1 which would increase the horsepower to more like 700+

Mish, if you looked at one of my pictures I showed the front upgrade of power steering rack, which I purchased all the parts form Jaguar Specialties. Andew provided the right mount and all the other parts at a lower cost than other Jaguar parts places. My repair shop did the install which was easy. We changed all four of the hubs to 5 lug hubs.

Attached Thumbnails 3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-watts_016.jpg  

Last edited by primaz; 12-28-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Yes, I can see you have got it fully weighed up.

The only thing I can see stopping the carrier from rotating is the very long lower trunnion bearing and the wide spaced bearings on the lower wishbone; good enough for most applications including the stock V12 , but weak with modern very high power engines. Those V12s of the 70s programme were pretty awsome in their time.

I assume that rig you showed the pic of, locates the hubcarrier fully.
Mitchell,

One part that Nick can make is a tubular lower control arm that I believe eliminates all of what you mentioned as it replaces the stock "dog bone" that causes those weak points. I am considering this upgrade as well.

Attached Thumbnails 3.8S sleeper - rear suspension complete...-tubular-lower-arm.jpg