MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Brake Servo and External Shield

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Brake Servo and External Shield

I am about to install the brake servo in my 1960 MK2 and have a question about the mounting between the inner fender wall and the protective shield. There appears to have been some sort of gasket between the shield and the outside of the inner fender. The servo had been removed from the car years before I reacquired it, so I have no idea how it was fitted to the fender. I can't find anything in the parts manual that even shows the external shield. Does anyone know it there is a gasket associated with the shield and inner fender?

Old 05-28-2017, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

There was no gasket fitted on my car, the cowl is listed in the parts manual page 302, part No BD2992, but there is no gasket listed.

It was attached by self tapping screws and spire nuts, but I have fitted rivnuts in place of the spire nuts with machine screws.

Hope that helps

The following users liked this post:
tedwone (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Jon, Thank you for the information. Mine was attached with machine bolts to weld nuts. When I tried to fit standard bolts, nothing seemed to fit, neither fine pitch or coarse. I had to re-tap all of the weld nuts to receive standard bolts. Now I can proceed with the installation and not worry about a gasket, but I might seal it with a sealing compound.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I have removed two of those boosters and shields from MK-2 and S type parts cars, a total pain in the rear.

there was no gasket either but it looked like the wheel wells were sprayed with undercoating goo before the shield was fitted, so that when I removed the shield I could see a coating about 1/32nd" thick under the "feet" of the shield, essentially forming a "gasket". I suppose a layer of sealant will do the same.

The following users liked this post:
csbush (05-31-2017)