MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Converting to a manual box: options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Converting to a manual box: options?

I'm considering converting my car to a manual box, while the engine's out & getting rebuilt, & I'm wondering what my options are. The transmission that's in there is from a S2 XJ6. & I'm not too worried about keeping it period correct. I actually wouldn't mind a 5 speed. Though I'd fit the original Jaguar box, with overdrive, if I could find one. The only box I don't want is an old Moss unit, as I hear they're not that user friendly.
So what's involved? How much do I need to budget? & how hard are they to hunt down?
Thanks

Last edited by scatcat; 04-20-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

Not sure if the shipping cost prevent considering Jag Outlet but Terry has a good selection of all years of Jags and knows which ones would work but they are in California, USA? Are there any Jaguar salvage shops in your area, they may know?

Old 04-22-2017, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member

Well California is on the same ocean as me at least, & I do have time to wait for it to come by ship. But it's the sad state of our Aussie dollar that puts me off buying out of the states. When I refurbished my 99 S-Type in 2011, our dollar was worth $1.10 U.S. (Currently 76c!). Consequently I was one of Jagbits best customers, & I rebuilt the S-Type's steering, brakes & suspension for a fraction of what Jaguar Australia wanted to charge me. But those halcyon days are long gone, & our Sth Pacific Peso is back down the gurgler. Though it's still a long way above the 47c it sank to around the turn of the millennium. I still won't buy anything out of the States until our dollar gets back above 80c, unless the price & shipping is exceptional enough to negate the exchange rate, which unfortunately, rarely happens,

Last edited by scatcat; 04-22-2017 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:43 AM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Gazza,

You could try Mike Roddy in Melbourne: jaguar@mikeroddy.com.au

He advertises Mk11 manual all-synchromesh upgrades, presumably suitable also for the S type.

The US postage rates horrify me, more so than the current exchange rate! Having said that, my son is building an Rv-7 airplane with kits sourced from Oregon. Clearly, as a RAAF officer, he has more money than me!

The following users liked this post:
scatcat (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Pete. I've sent them a message & I'll let you know how I go.
BTW totally agree about US overseas postal rates, especially when compared to their domestic rates. It's almost like they're not interested in offshore dollars. In fact the number of US retailers who won't deal with anyone outside of US territory is proof of that!