MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

General MK2 (Stupid!!) Questions

Old 09-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General MK2 (Stupid!!) Questions

Hi All.....Firstly the background. 1961 3.8 Mk2. Bought from a friend needing to be finished after extensive restoration work. Long story but the car was passed on unfinished. I suspect there are many things missing or wrong so here goes.........
1) Dipstick says 2.4L at the tip. Is this ok for a 3.8?
2) There is a map light switch but no map light. Is there one? where is it fitted and what does it look like?
3) Are there door swiches for the interior lights? Mine work on the panel switch only.
4) My speedo overreads...a lot! The speedo fitted has no low fuel light. The actual light is there....its loose behind the panel. I suspect the wrong speedo is installed, maybe from later 2 tank car.
5) When fog lights are selected on light switch only fogs are on.....is that correct? Should mains and fogs work together?
6) Is there a flash facilty on the indicator switch when its pulled? Nothing happens to mine.
7) Do the wipers selfpark?.....mine dont! If so how?

I appeciate any help with these questions..

Thanks

Last edited by rtipping; 09-08-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: forgot question
Old 09-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

There's no such thing as a stupid question here.........If you don't know the answer or have the knowledge, you need to ask, we all do.

I'm so sorry I can't help, but some of the DIY gurus will be along shortly to help I'm sure.

Good luck

Old 09-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 6,241 Likes on 5,442 Posts

In the meantime maybe you can post an intro in the new members section?

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (09-08-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by rtipping
Hi All.....Firstly the background. 1961 3.8 Mk2. Bought from a friend needing to be finished after extensive restoration work. Long story but the car was passed on unfinished. I suspect there are many things missing or wrong so here goes.........
2) There is a map light switch but no map light. Is there one? where is it fitted and what does it look like?
3) Are there door swiches for the interior lights? Mine work on the panel switch only.
4) My speedo overreads...a lot! The speedo fitted has no low fuel light. The actual light is there....its loose behind the panel. I suspect the wrong speedo is installed, maybe from later 2 tank car.
5) When fog lights are selected on light switch only fogs are on.....is that correct? Should mains and fogs work together?
6) Is there a flash facilty on the indicator switch when its pulled? Nothing happens to mine.

I appeciate any help with these questions..

Thanks
I can answer some of your questions.
2) The map light is tucked up underneath the top wood dash just below the wind shield. The head lamp/park switch has to be in the "on" position before the map light will work _ at least on mine anyway.

3) The door switches are behind the door hinges _ they are hard to see unless you know where to look for them. They probably need cleaning or replacing, but you said the restoration wasn't finished, maybe they were not connected.

7) The wipers do self park, the motor goes into reverse and then parks.
Contacts could be dirty, worn out and/or things not connected properly. There is also a mechanical device with in the reduction gears on the wiper motor itself. When it goes into reverse this mechanism parks the wipers. This may also need cleaning or repair _ chances are that the old grease has been in there since 1961.

4) Just a guess, someone may have put in a small gear overdrive unit on the back of the speedo so it reads in kilometers per hour.

Last edited by JeffR1; 09-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

1. The 2.4 litre has a shorter block as the stroke is much less, but the bottom end is identical to the other engines, so the dipstick should be OK, but I am not an expert on this question.
2 & 3 Already answered
4. The speedo reading is related to the diff ratio. You are probably correct that you have the wrong one for your diff. On the speedo face is normally a figure of the number of rotations per mile (of the speedo driver cable) which matches to a table of diff ratios.
5. I think this is correct, but you should have the side lights illuminated as well. Of course the law may have been changed since the car was built.
6. Is there a positive pull to the switch ? Its a long time since I had a Mark 2 so this is one facility I cannot remember was on mine or not. Later switches may have included the headlight flasher, but your car may not have the wiring for it, so check the switch loom to see if there are any unused bullet connectors.
7. Already answered

Old 09-10-2013, 02:13 PM

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies. I will feed back results as soon as...... With relation to the flash function, the switch has a definate move and click. The rest I will investigate asap and feedback

Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 PM

Ok. Sorted headlamp flash function...just not wired correctly.
Regards map light....the space below the wind screen under the wooden finisher has nothing. I cant even see where it was! So I will have to get all the parts and figure it out. ( any body want to send a pic??? roger_tipping@yahoo.com
Likewise the glovebox....no switch or light fitted. Likewise any pics??
The door switches are also invisable....any pics so I know where to start??

Many Thanks

Old 09-12-2013, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

Regards map light....the space below the wind screen under the wooden finisher has nothing. I cant even see where it was! So I will have to get all the parts and figure it out. ( any body want to send a pic??? roger_tipping@yahoo.com

Many Thanks
I'll take some pics tonight. The glove box switch should be obvious, there is a button that makes contact when it's opened and when the door is closed the switch head comes in contact with a round metal area on the lid to shut the light off. The light itself is a blue plastic cover on it tucked up inside the glove box itself.
I also have my dash cap off, it will be very easy to take a photo of that.
The door light switches are behind the bottom hinge on the front (you need a flash light to see them) they will be there or a hole where they are supposed to be. The rear ones are right in the middle of the door pillar and are clearly visible.
I'll post the photos here...

Attached Thumbnails General MK2 (Stupid!!) Questions-100_1261_zpscb093b46.jpg   General MK2 (Stupid!!) Questions-100_1260_zpsfcbd782a.jpg   General MK2 (Stupid!!) Questions-100_1259_zpsd8c9ae35.jpg   General MK2 (Stupid!!) Questions-100_1258_zps3589dcff.jpg   General MK2 (Stupid!!) Questions-100_1257_zps6aee5cc4.jpg  

Last edited by JeffR1; 09-12-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Translator (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Many Thanks
Sure there are no screw holes for the map light fitting at all ? It screwed onto the underside of the dash top rail.

Glovebox light is as described, and there should be a hole in the box liner to take the light fitting. It sounds like you may have aftermarket trim in your car. I remember onmy Mark 2 getting new arm rests for the rear doors, and the Ambla covering was without the hole for the ashtrays, but underneath the rectangular hole was punched so it was fairly easy to fit the little chrome ashtrays. Of course most people don't want these any more !! Still nice though, as they are beautifully chromed with a little Mazak ashtray below.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 09-12-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default stup questions

Hi, they are not stupid
Q? speedo check the tpm written on the speedo in small print , should be around 1100.
Q5, fogs on- headlights off, side lights on.
Q6, yes pull the stalk, head lamp flash.
barry

Old 09-15-2013, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the help..The pics are a great help. The glove box has been reupholstered and the light fittings and switch are not there!! Same with door switches...not fitted Dont you just hate a half done car!!

Old 11-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

the glovebox light will come on only when the Headlamps switch is in any of the ON positions. (parking/headlights/fogs).

The headlamps do go OFF when the Fog position is selected at the switch.

if you can't find a replacement glovebox light assembly, I have one from a 1964 S type, similar to the one shown in the pictures, I also have the lid switch.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

since it sounds like you have the wooden dash apart, one suggestion I would make is that XK's Unlimited has an LED light bulb kit to replace the many bulbs for the dash and since it is a major ordeal to take the dash apart you might want to change those old style bulbs to LED's. I am doing that on my 3.8S

Also there are some good kits for improved wiper motor/assemblies for the 3.8S or MKII that you might want to consider. Also I upgraded my headlights to HID's the Jaguar 3.8s uses the same at the Datsun 240Z car and I posted a link to where to buy that on my 3.8s sleeper thread on this forum.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 PM

Thanks again guys...Jose....where are you situated? I am in Cape Town South Africa, I would love to but your light & fittings. Roger

Old 12-06-2013, 02:24 AM

Primaz, what are the wiper up grades that are around where you are, as the mk2 system leaves a bit to be desired. Is there another jaguar or other model parts that will make a good fix.
barry

Last edited by barrymk2; 12-06-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks again guys...Jose....where are you situated? I am in Cape Town South Africa, I would love to but your light & fittings. Roger
Roger,
I'm in Central Florida, just around the corner

make a list of exactly what you need or don't have and send it by PM.
I'll figure it out. The parts I have came off a 1964 'S'. The S type used many MK-2 parts.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by barrymk2
Primaz, what are the wiper up grades that are around where you are, as the mk2 system leaves a bit to be desired. Is there another jaguar or other model parts that will make a good fix.
barry

Other later model Jaguar's use similar designs so if your motor for example is bad that can be upgraded to a later model car. Also for complete kit with all the components that will give the car a much better and safer wiper operation check out,
Wiper Kit | CLASSIC MOTOR CARS

barrymk2 (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 03:33 AM

Primaz, thanks, do you know what other motors will fit?
Barry

Old 12-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

here's some pics for Roger:

1) Map light assembly with original bulb, 2 screws, and 2 wires with the proper
Bullet connectors. (these connectors have a "Stop" unlike other bullets.

the remaining wiring was part of the Main wiring harness, so I had to cut the wires to salvage the assembly. You'll have to splice them unless your harness has the two bullet connectors.

2) glovebox door spring Switch for glovebox lamp. Lucas-England.

3) glovebox lamp assembly with bulb and blue lens. The lenses have a tendency to become "distorted" when people put a higher-wattage bulb, and this one is no exception. However it fits tight. The housing is made of pot-metal or nickel, (I don't know), it is not shiny metal but I guess it can be polished. Otherwise it is original 1964.

I could not find the two bolts, nuts and washers for the glovebox lamp assembly but I know I have them, will have to do another search.

Wow, I love old parts!

Attached Thumbnails General MK2 (Stupid!!) Questions-64-s-type-int-lights.jpg   General MK2 (Stupid!!) Questions-64-s-type-glovebox-light.jpg  
Old 12-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

My, looking at these little bits brings back some memories for me !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: General MK2 (Stupid!!) Questions