MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Heater and General Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Heater and General Question

I am in the process of refurbishing the heater from my 1960 MK2 and I noticed that there is no heater valve for controlling the flow of water to the heater core. The parts manual shows a valve and block mounted to the front heater plate, but there is no evidence that a valve was ever mounted on my heater (no holes in the plate other than for the core tubes. Is there a place in the engine bay for a manual valve that I don't see?

My second question is about the number tag located on the firewall behind the battery. The number on this plate does not correspond with any numbers on the commission plate. However, the same number appears, hand written, on the back side of both main dash panels. Is this number supposed to be a build number?

Thanks for any information that will assist in my continued adventure with my Jaguar.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Post a picture of your heater box, as far as i'm aware there is no other option.

Pics would help

Old 05-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Hello Jon,

Thank you for responding. I have included a few photos for your review. Please forgive the paint job. It is the first coat and some primer is still showing.

Attached Thumbnails Heater and General Question-20170519_070829.jpg   Heater and General Question-20170519_070906.jpg   Heater and General Question-20170519_070628.jpg   Heater and General Question-20170516_153508.jpg  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

I may have come up with an answer, whether it is correct or not I'm not 100% yet, on scouring the parts book, you can see it here https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/c...0/cooling/#p=6 there is no valve listed for your chassis number !

Also the elbows are different for you chassis number, so --- di jaguar when they brought out the MK2 do away with the valve when they introduced the flaps into what was the MK1 heater box thinking they didn't need it if the flap closed off the air supply to the heater rad and then when they realized it didn't work added in the valve again after chassis no 212774 ?

I will look at N Thorley's book to see if there is a mention of that. Someone else may own an Early MK2 and also know if my guess is correct ?

Just dug out Nigel Thorley's book, and according to that I may be correct, in Jul 1960 the heater valve was added into the heater system to control HOT/COLD Pg 61 of his "The Original MK1/Mk11"

Last edited by TilleyJon; 05-19-2017 at 11:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tedwone (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM

Thank you Jon, I had suspected what you stated might be the case, but with hot water running through the core continuously, I think the passenger compartment can get a bit warm. I might install a valve like the later one that was added, but operate it manually if or when heat is needed. It turns out that my car has other "unusual" things that are different from what the parts list indicate. I have had to return several new parts because they simply were not correct for my car.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

Interesting about the tap being omitted.
My Mark VI Bentley is like this, coolant continually flows through the heater matrix all the time.
In the summer there is a spigot tab on the side of the head that one is expected to turn off to block the coolant flow into the heater.

The whole thing is pretty hokey and is typically British in design _ IMO...

tedwone (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tedwone
Thank you Jon, I had suspected what you stated might be the case, but with hot water running through the core continuously, I think the passenger compartment can get a bit warm. I might install a valve like the later one that was added, but operate it manually if or when heat is needed. It turns out that my car has other "unusual" things that are different from what the parts list indicate. I have had to return several new parts because they simply were not correct for my car.
You could add it as the later Mk2's, but it would mean fabricating a mounting boss, this was a separate part on the MK1 (C9929), if you could source that, or if you have access to a lathe it would be fairly straight forward to make a round one, you could cut off the sides to make it more like stock. You should be able to use a later cable, which is longer, for the control which goes straight to the valve, and then using a second trunion, link the existing cable back to the flap, other than the mounting flange the other parts are available. You must use the flange, it works by squashing the O ring which then seals on the heater pipe.

Just had a thought, you could get hold of an old heater valve, cut off the flange, ream out the hole to just go over the heater pipe, Helicoil the mounting holes, and then bolt that to the lid from the underside, and fit the new heater valve onto the studs sticking through with nuts. It a shame the heater valve is alloy or you could simply braze it to the lid, someone maybe able to Tig weld it onto the lid, but if it's an old valve you used it may have too much impurities to Tig well. Anyway, just a thought, you may be lucky and find a secondhand lid, that would be an easy solution.

Last edited by TilleyJon; 05-19-2017 at 12:41 PM.
tedwone (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

Why not just replace the whole box with a later model with the tap ?
Tedwone has already restored his present one, but I think in the end a later model should just bolt right in ???
It would just seem easier.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JeffR1
Why not just replace the whole box with a later model with the tap ?
Tedwone has already restored his present one, but I think in the end a later model should just bolt right in ???
It would just seem easier.
They are the same, it's just the lid and the flap lever that are different, the flap is really simple as he has the parts already on the existing box, but as far as I know the boxes are no longer available, so it would be easier/cheaper if he could get a lid from a rotten seconhand box, as the rest of the restoration has been done, I searched eBay UK and US and all I found was this one Jaguar Mk2 heater unit with aircon condenser | eBay which isn't any use unless Tedwone would like to try and fit AC as well.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:15 PM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

Ted- my 1960 did come with a heater valve. Odd that yours did not. I'll try and get some pictures.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by csbush
Ted- my 1960 did come with a heater valve. Odd that yours did not. I'll try and get some pictures.

What's you chassis number Chuck ?

Old 05-23-2017, 06:52 AM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

lid with valve mount

My chassis number is 213556- which after reading the previous posts, puts it in the "with heater valve group".

Here is a picture of the lid with the valve mount.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Hi My 1959 MK2 doesn't have the heater valve either. I assume that they tried it without and found it didn't work well and added one.

Its interesting with old cars how the poor features which were improved in their day make them more desirable, look at old mini's with the sliding windows which in their day were poor but are now sought after.

On my car there are a number of differences that I have seen from later MK2's as follows:

White pips on top of the front sidelights rather than red.
No valve on the heater.
Recessed sunvisors
No set belt mounts at all.
The little metal triangle shapes on the doors where they touch the rubbers are missing.
No rubbers on bonnet sides.
No rubber bump stops on doors.
Door chrome frames are missing the supports at which were added to stop them flexing.
Accelerator pedal hangs from the top rather than being organ type.
Automatic selector and indicators are reversed.

Most of these were changed as clear improvements.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by csbush
lid with valve mount

My chassis number is 213556- which after reading the previous posts, puts it in the "with heater valve group".

Here is a picture of the lid with the valve mount.
Thanks Chuck, I suspected that would be the case, but it's good to confirm the information is correct.