MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Jag MK2 brake line fittings

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:06 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Jag MK2 brake line fittings

Simple question and I hope a simple answer. Are the fittings on the Jag MK2 SAE or DIN? Thank you!
Lin

Old 07-05-2017, 04:28 PM
BSM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

The flares are DIN/ISO bubble. They are used with Girling nuts that have a plain diameter before the thread starts

Refer to

http://www.fedhillusa.com/webnuts/common%20flares6.pdf

Shows types of flares and the picture at the lower right shows "British Girling Nut with old style bubble flare"

I did my whole Mark 2 with these flares using Cunifer lines.

HTH

Old 07-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Lin, the fittings are 3/8" UNF, all male fittings (with male ends) are single flare , and the female fittings are double flared.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default E-Type brake lines.

Their has been a lot of discussion about XKE brake line sizes, other than the 1/4" line that runs between the master cylinder and the booster cylinder, all the brake lines are 3/16" O.D. That means three sixteenths out side diameter tubing,
the fittings are 3/8" at 24 threads per inch fittings, all the Flares are BUBBLE FLARE !.......NOT double flare or single flare !
If you take a look at the bottom of the threaded hole in your brake callipers you will see it has a smooth dish shape. This is to accept a BUBBLE flare only !.
If it had an inverted flare looking back at you it would be for a FLARED fitting !
Inverted flares are common on American cars but not on XKEs !
The proper male fitting on the end of Jag bubble flares has a 3/8-24 thread and a short non threaded section at the very end of the fitting, this is designed to seal on the edges of the bubble. I have seen double flare pipe and fittings being incorrectly used on XKEs and although they have the same thread they do NOT seal correctly at the bottom of the fitting because of the difference in machining.
Also these incorrect fittings will "bottom-out" at the nut end of the fitting where it meets the casting, usually after two or three uses !
So use only BUBBLE end flares and correct fittings on your E-TYPE !

Last edited by felinecat; 12-05-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: should be new topic in E-Type postings
Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member

In the UK regarding brake lines a single flare IS a bubble flare, it is a single operation on the forming tool, and the single flares referred to above are not used in Automotive brake lines, I don't think most brake flaring tools even have the die for that as they are not used for brake lines.

I am not sure if this differs in the US, so apologies if I have misled anyone.

There are some double flares required on the Mk2's, I don't know if there are any on the Etype, the double flare is used when you have a female end on the hard brake pipe (such as connections to flexible brake lines)

Old 12-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default e-type brake lines

Hello Tilley:

I didn't know that single flare meant "one operation to make it" because in USA/Canada Single flare means a funnel shaped end is formed on the end of the pipe, and a double flare, means a funnel shaped form is made on the end of the pipe with the outside edge of the "funnel" rolled over itself into the inside making a double thickness at that point !
But a Bubble flare is actually a bubble shape formed in the end of the pipe designed to mate with the dish shape of the casting it is going in, and the countersunk part of the nut that is going to to seal it in place.
The 3 pipe/tube end forms are achieved with 3 completely different sets of tools !
I think the angles of the forms might be different as well, but I cannot confirm this without measuring............

derek

Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Derek.

Technically you are correct, the Bubble(single as I know it) is formed with one set of dies, this can then be turned into a double flare by using a different die, the pipe is left in the former, a different die dialed in and the second operation turns the bubble(single) into a double flare. This is where my reference to a single - double flare comes from, one operation to make the bubble(single) and without moving the pipe in the tool a second operation makes the double flare.

The tool I have is like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/19029467353...7333700&crdt=0 so when I refer to "dialed in" this refers to the fact that you turn the die head in the tool to form the double flare hence "dial"