MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Mystery Thread hole in Rear Door Lock Remote Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Mystery Thread hole in Rear Door Lock Remote Control

I am reinstalling the remote control locking mechanisms in my 64 MK2 doors. On the rear remote control, I noticed that there is a threaded hole. I have no idea what the purpose of this might be. I don't have my old door cards handy. Is there a screw that goes through the door card into the remote control?

The front door remote control does not have these threaded holes.

Any ideas regarding the purpose of these. I know these components were used on other marques as well. Perhaps they are not used on the Jag, but are on other cars???

My curious mind (fortunately, it still remains so!) would like to know.

Thanks.

Lin

Attached Thumbnails Mystery Thread hole in Rear Door Lock Remote Control-door-lock-remote-control-mystery-threaded-hole.001.jpeg  
Old 09-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

I do like a good mystery Lin, I have the same threaded hole in mine too.

The hole does line up with the little indents, but no idea what it's for.

I can't find any other Jag that had the same remote control for the rear doors and the hole does no show in the manual, so does anyone else know ?

Attached Thumbnails Mystery Thread hole in Rear Door Lock Remote Control-jag-mk2-door-lock.jpg  
Old 09-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 670 Likes on 486 Posts

If putting a set screw in there that lines up with the indent, what does it do ?
It keeps the handle from travelling in that direction, perhaps to keep the door from locking if someone used an outside key ???

If that were the case one would think that it would work on both directions, but there is only one threaded hole and tow indents.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:57 PM
MK2

Jeff, it is the rear door. No key used.
Lin

Old 09-23-2017, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member

If it does stop the rear door being opened from the inside----- just wistful thought, the Mk2 was used quite a bit in the day by the Police, that would be a very useful feature !

Old 09-23-2017, 10:03 AM
MK2

I think Rob Reilly posting on the Jag-Lovers Forum May have it right.

He said, “Since nobody else has offered an answer, I will offer a guess.
Childproof lock attachment point.
The Mark 2 parts catalogue page 437 lists some optional child safety lock parts.
My '74 XJ12 has them.”

Lin

Old 09-23-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure that Rob is correct, BUT very interestingly, I may have the child locks on mine, I looked at the parts catalogue, and it looks like the remote control is different, and the door handle escutcheon is different.

If you look at the pictures attached, you will see my remotes are different to yours, ( I hadn't noticed the other day as I was looking at the threaded hole) you will see a plate behind the spring clip with some slots in it, if this is rotated, it disables the door handle, there is a tag sticking out just above the handle shaft, I have to check my escutcheon's to see if there is a corresponding slot, if so then if you twist the escutcheon, it would swivel the plate and disable the handle internally.

If that is the case, I have child locks, but it still doesn't answer the question of the threaded hole ! I will dig out the escutcheons tomorrow and post more pics.

Does anyone else have child locks that can confirm this ?

Attached Thumbnails Mystery Thread hole in Rear Door Lock Remote Control-img_2086.jpg   Mystery Thread hole in Rear Door Lock Remote Control-img_2087.jpg  

Last edited by TilleyJon; 09-24-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 PM
MK2

And it get curiouser and curiouser.
I know that isn’t a word, just sounds better than “interesting.”
Lin

Old 09-24-2017, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member

Well it's confirmed, I definitely have child locks, so one thing solved, but not the mysterious threaded hole !

Thank you Rob for making me realize I had this option fitted, I may not have worked it out for a while.

Attached Thumbnails Mystery Thread hole in Rear Door Lock Remote Control-img_2088.jpg   Mystery Thread hole in Rear Door Lock Remote Control-img_2090.jpg   Mystery Thread hole in Rear Door Lock Remote Control-img_2091.jpg