MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Odd problem 62 MK2

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Odd problem 62 MK2

Hi, well we finally got the car out of the shop it was a process I talked about in another post. Anyway the shop did a great job at fair price & car drives great. I left the shop drove about 50 miles and the car dies wait about 30 minutes car fires right up, runs great drive another 50 miles park it take it out a little later 10 miles into drive it dies again wait about 5 minutes car fires up runs great turn around get home and park it. At first I thought fuel pump but it dies quick not like its starving for fuel now I'm thinking coil. I have elec ignition it's a new part Pertronix module but the coil is old. I thought I read somewhere that if you should use the Pertronix coil along with the ignition module. I wish it never started up again I have a feeling it would be much easier to find the problem.
Anyone have any ideas ? When it dies it cranks over but won't fire then after a few minutes it fires right up.
Thanks

Old 04-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

When it stops check for spark at the plugs. If you have spark then you have a fuel problem--check the filter on the side panel and check the screen in your pick up.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

Didn't the shop supply a warranty? I'd be taking back, with my "not happy" face on.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

George is right, but you may have a weak spark too, check the spark when the car is running and also when it dies to see if there is no spark, or if the spark is weak, you will need to know what the difference is to know what to look for. Also feel how hot the coil is, it could be breaking down when it gets hot.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

Agree with TilleyJon, check to see if the coil is over heating.
Check to see of you have a 1.5 ohm coil in there, if it is, there has to be an external resistor in line on the primary windings.
A 1.5 ohm coil with an electronic ignition module with no resistor, will over heat all the time, especially at idle.

Pertronix makes a 3 ohm resin filled coil that works well, Bosch makes even a better one. Read this article, there are lots of counterfeits out there.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BlueCoil.html

Very rarely is it ever a fuel problem. I was never a big fan of these aftermarket electronic ignitions, I've had problems both with Pertronics and Lumenition, I just went back to points, but to each their own.
A Lumenition unit just suddenly failed with no warning, had to have the car towed.
Had a Pertronix unit in my TR7 and the tachometer was all over the place, but the car did run _ sure didn't trust it though.

The problem with the units are that you don't know who supplied the parts inside. They could be made in the USA, but the chips and caps may be poor quality Chinese junk.
If I were to run one of these units again, I would carry my old point set with me.

Last edited by JeffR1; 04-02-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for replies, I checked coil wire and the connection to the dist. was really corroded and the wire connections at the coil were loose and when tighting the nut with very little pressure the stud came loose car starts and runs but I'm going to order a new Petronics coil & new coil wire. The dist. cap has these threaded wire holders that screw into the cap is that normal. I've only seen the type you push in if that's not a good cap I'll change that too
Thanks again
Lou

Old 04-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

The threaded type distributor cap is normal, it was replaced by the push in type. The old style required solid wire for it to work. Resistor wires can not be used on the screw type distributor.
With the screw type, you should use resistor plugs to keep the radio quiet. Most resistor plugs are 5k ohm which isn't enough resistance, but it's good enough.