MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

rear end and brake work

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

I thought I would put in an update here.. Since last time, (has it been THAT long? Geez!) I have the calipers installed, new brake lines up to the servo, and re-installed the rear end into the car. I have now moved on to the Servo and the vacuum tanks. Hopefully it will be a relatively small can of worms there. I removed the old servo and tank (whose valve connector broke on removal) in advance of getting the new servo on order. I am wondering if anyone knows of a source for the metal vac tube that goes from the servo tank across to the heater control tank (or if anyone has a spare- not likely, I know). I do not see it as being available from the "major suppliers" and am planning to give Vintage Jag a call sooner or later. As an aside, I am wondering what shape the tank near the servo should be. Mine is a more or less brick shaped square thing which has had its port brazed on at some point along with what really looks like a piece of angle iron welded on for a mount bracket. The catalogs I can access all seem to show the hot dog shaped one with a stone guard. I know it doesn't matter, but wondering what it originally should have been. Thanks,

Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 AM
Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback

I thought I would put in an update here.. Since last time, (has it been THAT long? Geez!) I have the calipers installed, new brake lines up to the servo, and re-installed the rear end into the car. I have now moved on to the Servo and the vacuum tanks. Hopefully it will be a relatively small can of worms there. I removed the old servo and tank (whose valve connector broke on removal) in advance of getting the new servo on order. I am wondering if anyone knows of a source for the metal vac tube that goes from the servo tank across to the heater control tank (or if anyone has a spare- not likely, I know). I do not see it as being available from the "major suppliers" and am planning to give Vintage Jag a call sooner or later. As an aside, I am wondering what shape the tank near the servo should be. Mine is a more or less brick shaped square thing which has had its port brazed on at some point along with what really looks like a piece of angle iron welded on for a mount bracket. The catalogs I can access all seem to show the hot dog shaped one with a stone guard. I know it doesn't matter, but wondering what it originally should have been. Thanks,
Hi,

When I did my S-Type many years ago I just bought a piece of steel pipe to go across from one side to another. As the pressures involved are really low you could probably just use some copper pipe (maybe 10mm) as used in microbore central heating systems and building air conditioning systems.

The following users liked this post:
jerry_hoback (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I was considering a chunk of copper tube, and saw some at a resale shop yesterday. But they were quite proud of it wanting $12.50. I am sure I can get it for much less from a parts bin somewhere.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

I suppose that at this point I should really start a new thread. I have now removed the front end and have it on my bench to be disassembled and hopefully if I live long enough, reassembled and reinstalled. My phone is not co-operating so I can't post a pic.. more soon.