MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Starter Motor Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 04:16 AM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Starter Motor Woes

Just wondering if anyone out there in the Jaguar jungle has fitted the later BW 65 or 66 auto transmission to a Mark II engine as an upgrade to the original DG250 unit, and if so what starter motor is the best to use.

Whilst my engine was out during restoration, I fitted the later XJ6 starter off a 4.2 engine, and at that stage it seemed to turn over the engine OK. Now that its installed in the car, it seems to jamming on the ring gear. I assumed the original Lucas M45G starter would not be compatible with the later tranny and that the XJ6 would be the one to use, but looks like I'm wrong (yet again!).

Consulting the workshop manual, it doesn't appear replacing the starter in situ is going to be that much fun. Any help appreciated!

Old 08-08-2017, 03:28 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

I've got the BW66 in my car and recently had to have the starter repaired. Can't tell you too much about it though. My indie removed the starter and told me it was the original Lucas.

Stu

Old 08-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 487 Posts

Removing the carbs makes it accessible.
It can be removed with the carbs in place, but you really can't see what you're doing.

On my 340 the two bolts for the starter are welded with this piece of curved steel on the heads.
It keeps them in place and keeps them from turning.

I'm assuming yours is the same ?

Old 08-09-2017, 02:50 AM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.
I can live with a carb removal. Well versed in this & done it many times!
I've since been advised, when fiddling with different starters, always check the # of ring-gear teeth to ensure the pinion is compatible.
I knew when I started this project 3 years ago their would be plenty of wailing & gnashing of teeth!.