MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Type S doors to adapt to install in Jaguar 340

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I got the S-type doors for my Mark 2 at a very favourable price and they were brand-new still in factory primer. Even in the 80s it was very difficult to find original stuff for Mark 2s and any other Jaguar saloon of the 60s. When I bought an XJ6 in 1988, it had only recently left production so there was loads of stuff still around, so I put in a new rear boot floor and rear valance and the bolt-on quarter panels. I welded it all myself. Later I had factory sills fitted and had a pair of Series 2 wings fitted, suitably modified.

Nowadays it must be quite difficult for restorers of the saloons. Martin Robey in Nuneaton here in England does a lot of repair panels which aren't necessarily the full panel, just the area of it that rusts out, but can produce you a complete new E-type shell !!

Old 09-18-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts
Old 09-23-2017, 03:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear members,
As explained before, i replaced my four Jag 340 doors with Type S doors.
To prevent a mass of modifications, i am looking for those parts
On the front doors , i miss those parts;n°2 (2ea), 3 (2ea) , 30 (2ea).
Type S door

For the rear doors, i need

N°1 (2ea) ;2(2ea) ;3(2ea) ;7(2ea)8(2ea) ;9(2ea) ;10(2ea)

To be sure that we are talking about the same parts, please send me some pictures

Ciao

Old 09-24-2017, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Phillipo, I am not sure you will be able to fit the S type catches to the Mk2, as you say they are in a different position, you will have to reverse engineer the C post rather than the door, which will probably be the more difficult option, if you go the route you are looking at you will need to modify the door cards too or use s-type cards, and will you need new door handles ? Far easier to cut the lock panel from the Mk2 door and fit it to the S Type door ?

Just looked on Martin Robey's site, they list the same door skin and bottom repair panels for the S type, Mk2 and 420, so it may appear that all the doors (with the exception of locks and windows are interchangeable ?

And looking at SNG, the s-type and the 420 have the same locks and windows, so are they a straight swap Jose?

Last edited by TilleyJon; 09-24-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:45 AM

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for your answer..
To cut the lock panel from the Mk2 door and fit it to the S Type door is not enough, because there is a difference between the twi tupes of doors and we need also space to install the Linkage of opening the doors..
So, the cut to do in the MK2 doors is huge and not so easy to do.
I'd like to find a picture of the Type S catches to compare what i have and what to obtain to fit properly the catches
Do you have some information about that??

Thanks for your help

Ciao

Old 09-26-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Philippo,

can you post a picture of the stype door and mk2 (inside of the door) from the same angle so I can try and see/envisage what you mean about the difference between the 2 doors and also the space for the linkage. if the inside structure of the door is that much difference, then I would have thought Martin Robey would have recommended repairing Fraser's doors rather than a huge remodeling of the s type door they did for him.

Even if you get all the parts for the stype doors you will still have to re-engineer the C posts for sure, and having not seen the front door locks, you may have to do the B posts too, that does look the more difficult option, finding all the parts will not be straight forward, you can't just order them from SNG easily.

Post some pics of the front and rear doors inside face from both stype and Mk2 and I will take a look and give you my opinion.

You seem to be the first to tackle this yourself, Fraser has had it done, but unfortunately doesn't have any picture for you, you could try calling Martin Robey's to see if they can advise, if they have done this before, they may tell you what's involved.

Just had a thought, I have to call them tomorrow to order a door skin, I will ask the question for you, but if you could post the pictures, I could then try and explain what they say, it may be difficult in just text.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:01 PM

Hi Jon,

Thanks a lot for your interest in my topic..
On page 1 of this topic, you will find the needed pictures.(I hope)
The red door is from Type S and gray one is from the 340.
You may easily see the difference between both .
i was asking a picture of Type S catches because i think that it must be possible with the needed machinery to modify the 340 catches to Type S.
Perhaps am i wrong..but i want to check that.
The linkage to open the door on the 340 is placed at the rear side of the door because there is a space manufactured.(just below the door card on gray door).
The Type s linkage is different and placed Inside the door..so there is no possibility to exchange the linkage's from a car to another..(There is no space enough)
If you need more pictures, please reply

Best regards

Ciao

Old 09-26-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

will this picture be of help?

Attached Thumbnails Type S doors to adapt to install in Jaguar 340-mirror-switch-s-type.jpg  
Old 09-27-2017, 04:30 AM

Hi José,

This car looks nicer as a niew one..Congratulations.
What i need is a picture of the front and rear catches located on the pillar's.
With if possible the measurements of the exact position of them.

Thanks for your help

Ciao

Old 09-27-2017, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Phillipo,

yes, the car is almost like new, it is a treasure. The driver's seat leather is worn, the headliner is collapsed, but it is a wonderful unrestored example.

I understand now. You need pictures of the Door JAMBS, also known as the "B" and "C" pillars.

If someone else does not get them first, I will get pictures next week, I am away from the car this week.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:10 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

I should be able to post the photos you need tomorrow, its just gone midnight here so not doing it now

The following users liked this post:
Jose (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

I have a source for door catches and latches from the original S type,

the problem is that the seller first charges $ for his time to remove the parts, and then he sells the parts at 50% from the original price for the new part. If the part is NLA (No Longer Available), he charges 90% of the original price plus the labor to remove them.

He has the parts books and price lists. This fellow is old-school, he has no computer and he wants no computer, he is a retired US army veteran who has over 75 old Jags in a dry field. He is honest and tells you exactly what the condition of the part is.

But he has the parts, and sometimes we have to bite the bullet and pay. I found some NLA parts for TilleyJon through this man which were not cheap but they were undamaged used parts from 1966.

Then there is the shipping cost from USA to Europe, not cheap either. I shipped some XJ-6 parts to Belgium recently, it was cheaper than shipping to UK, and a lot faster. I don't understand why.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:43 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your response..
Pictures are welcome to help me to understand what i have to modify to fit the catches.

Jose,

Can you give me this guy coordinates or do you prefer to ask him an offer for the parts i need?? I do not know how you communicate with him, so please contact him for me. Million of thanks for your help..Ciao

Old 09-27-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Philippo Signore
Hi Jon,

Thanks a lot for your interest in my topic..
On page 1 of this topic, you will find the needed pictures.(I hope)
The red door is from Type S and gray one is from the 340.
You may easily see the difference between both .
i was asking a picture of Type S catches because i think that it must be possible with the needed machinery to modify the 340 catches to Type S.
Perhaps am i wrong..but i want to check that.
The linkage to open the door on the 340 is placed at the rear side of the door because there is a space manufactured.(just below the door card on gray door).
The Type s linkage is different and placed Inside the door..so there is no possibility to exchange the linkage's from a car to another..(There is no space enough)
If you need more pictures, please reply

Best regards

Ciao
Hi Ciao,

it appears that both linkages are on the outside of the inner face (between the door card and the door frame) but the S Type is bent down to a lower point, and there is no indent near the top of the door to run the 340 linkage, looking at it you can cut out the mounting point for the latch and include the indented section, and then graft this onto the s-type door.

What I can't see from the pictures is if the regulator positions are the same, and the door handle position, if they are the same, the graft of the s-type latch to the 340 door would definitely be easier as you have reference points on the door to implant the graft accurately, but if they are not then the B and C post engineering may well be easier.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Philippo Signore
Jose, Can you give me this guy coordinates or do you prefer to ask him an offer for the parts i need?? I do not know how you communicate with him, so please contact him for me. Million of thanks for your help..Ciao
Philippo, I call him on the phone, he gets back to me in 1 week, that's how I do it.

send me a PM with a list of exactly the parts you need and the part numbers if you have them, and I will contact him.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:54 PM

Dear Jon,

Thans a lot for your advices.
They are several solutions but before starting any modification, i need to have all the original parts for the Type S as possible.
Some of the 340 may easily be modified (flat linkage for example) but some of them doesn't exist at all on my Jag 340 doors (linkage to maintain the door locked from Inside)..If i may purchase the missing parts, i will prevent a lot of cutting and welding work..Jose as a source for those parts..let us try...that way first

Best regards

PS: Ciao means Goodbye in Italian..

Philippo is my name

Old 09-27-2017, 03:55 PM

Hi Jose,

I will prepare the list asap for you
I hope this week end

Thanks a lot

Ciao

Old 09-27-2017, 04:45 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

'B' pillar
Hope these are of use

'B' pillar

'C" pillar

'C' pillar

Old 09-28-2017, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry Phillipo, I was not thinking when I called you "Caio"

I was assuming you had all the parts for the 340 doors, if you are missing a bunch of parts anyway then you may well be taking the easier route.

Jose will help with the bits that are not available I am sure, as you can see there is plenty of help on the forum, good luck with the search for parts I am sure Jose's contact will sort them for you.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:21 AM

Ho Jon,
Your help has been very appreciated.This topic will take a long time before everything is resolved.
I hope to read you back soon

Great thanks

Ciao

Philippo