MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Unwanted Horn Sounding.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Unwanted Horn Sounding.

For a few years, my M.O.T. man has mentioned play at the steering wheel of my Daimler V8 2 1/2 litre. The horn sometimes sounded when pulling down hard on turning right. This sounding became worse until the horn was sounding continually! Annoying. I decided to fix it properly, rather than disconnecting the power supply. Steering wheel off, oh dear, indicator cancelling rotor is falling apart. I dread mission creep! The top felt bearing was in a sorry state and the bottom one was missing. New nylon bearings fitted. I also removed an aluminium strip wrapped around the shaft which may have been added to take up some of the slack! Now the plastics rotor was NO LONGER AVAILABLE. That is without the rest of the indicator assembly at £150 or so. Annoying. The new one was different to the old one, and had more wires coming from it. I could not get one hundred percent functionality so called in an auto electrician who fixed it. After a drive of 50 miles it was unfixed and I lost the left turn indicators. To cut a long story shorter, I have run a new wire from the front left turn indicator to the indicator switch. It works! Now for the headlamp flash!!!

Old 08-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

Did you fix the horn issue ?
What happens is the wire that runs from the horn button down the steering tube (pinkish/red) wears through the insulation and grounds itself out depending on where its worn through and the position of the steering wheel.
When it makes contact, the horn "sounds"

Old 08-25-2017, 05:39 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Had the same problem on the MK2 a couple of months ago. Very frustrating. On a weekend away trip I ended up pulling onto the shoulder of the road, getting on the ground under the front bumper and using wire cutters, cutting the earth connection to the two horns.

When I returned home I took the car into my indie and it needed a steering column bush kit (C23592). Problem solved.

Stu

The following users liked this post:
csbush (08-29-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 04:21 PM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts
Default unwanted horn sounding.

I think that putting more modern nylon bushes/bearings helped considerably. Also, removal of the extraneous aluminium "packer" helped plus realignment of the contacts/slip ring toward the base of the column.