MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Valvechatter Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:53 PM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Valvechatter Update

Things seem to be a little slow on the Forum so I thought I would provide a short update on what I have been up to with my 64 MK2 restoration. I took a short vacation and travelled out to Montana and Colorado last week. While away I left my car with Mike Gassman, owner of Gassman Automotive in Waynesboro, VA. Mike and his team rebuilt my 3.8 engine, gearbox and overdrive.

I wanted to have some welding and fabrication done - I am not as talented as Jon and some others who regularly post on this Forum - so I trailered the Jag down to Mike with a list:

Design and fabricate a "cold air box" which I prefer to more accurately refer to as an "outside ambient air delivery pipe to the carbs." I know that I am biased but I think Mike's concept and Brandon Tyree's execution were spot on. I am quite happy with what they did. See this link for more information: Cold Air Box ? Valve Chatter

After seeing what TilleyJon, Doug Doren and a few others have done with their rear wheel arches I decided to have my steel Coombs spats (skirts) welded in place. More information here: Coombs Rear Fender Skirts ? Valve Chatter

While Mike and Brandon were at it I also had them fabricate a metal cover for my original fuse box location. More information here: Original Fuse Box Modification ? Valve Chatter

I was going to leave the rather unsightly power steering pump/reservoir installed as it came in the kit from M&C Wilkinson, but Mike Gassman really felt that it should be covered to match up with the heater box and the new electrical connections (original fuse box) box. I am pleased that he convinced me. More information and a short video on installation and replacement is available here: Power Steering Pump Cover ? Valve Chatter

Both the electrical connections box and the power steering cover will be painted gloss black to match the heater box.

Finally, I am installing 1990 XJ40 powered seats in my MK2. I am not cutting down the transverse brace across the floor. I wanted to cover the seat mounting frames and motors so they wouldn't be visible. Ton Tullken, a MK2 restorer from the Netherlands had given me the idea, so I again enlisted Brandon to make these for me. They will be covered in leather/vinyl to match the seats when I reupholster the interior. More information here: scroll down. Seating ? Valve Chatter

So while I was away having fun, Mike and his guys got some good stuff done on my car! Now she is back in my garage for installation of power/remote control locks.

Lin

Attached Thumbnails Valvechatter Update-cold-air-delivery-pipe-carbs-3.jpg   Valvechatter Update-coombs-rear-wheel-skirts-welded-1.jpg   Valvechatter Update-lh-side-front-seat-skirt-installed.jpg   Valvechatter Update-electrical-connections-box-cooling-vents.jpg   Valvechatter Update-power-steering-pump-electrical-connections-covers.jpg  

Old 08-29-2017, 05:19 PM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

That all looks really great. I'll have to go over to your website and check it all out!

I saw something the other day and wanted to tell you about it. I don't like the look of the "Jiffy Pop" insulation cover on the air conditioner condenser mounted to the firewall. I was contemplating making a metal cover that would match the design of the heater box, but I was looking a a Rolls Royce, and they had a nicely fitting vinyl cover- might be a simple option. Although with the nice boxes you had made for the power steering and fuse box, perhaps that is a better option for you.
Rolls Royce engine compartment

The following users liked this post:
MK2 (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 06:20 PM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

The vinyl certainly looks better than the insulation material, but I am planning on a sheet metal cover similar to the heater. One positive byproduct of the carb air pipe is that it takes up much less space at the rear carb than the air cleaner did. It should give me a little more room for the evaporator cover. Thanks for keeping me in mind!
Lin

The following users liked this post:
csbush (08-29-2017)