MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

MK2 rear parcel shelf modification for speakers - Primaz?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:08 PM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default MK2 rear parcel shelf modification for speakers - Primaz?

Primaz,
I believe you used a Porsche speaker carpet over a 3/4" particle board for the rear shelf in your car. Do you have any photos of the shelf through the rear window? Does the shelf stand higher than the bottom of the glass. Looking at my rear shelf, it doesn't look like there is enough room for a 3/4" shelf. I would like to be wrong because the 3/4" does provide a good solid base for rear speakers.

Thanks for any info and pix you might share.

Lin

Old 08-31-2017, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by MK2
Primaz,
I believe you used a Porsche speaker carpet over a 3/4" particle board for the rear shelf in your car. Do you have any photos of the shelf through the rear window? Does the shelf stand higher than the bottom of the glass. Looking at my rear shelf, it doesn't look like there is enough room for a 3/4" shelf. I would like to be wrong because the 3/4" does provide a good solid base for rear speakers.

Thanks for any info and pix you might share.

Lin

Here are some photos, the carpet did have to sit a bit high to hide the speakers.

Attached Thumbnails MK2 rear parcel shelf modification for speakers - Primaz?-dsc04762.jpg   MK2 rear parcel shelf modification for speakers - Primaz?-dsc02418.jpg   MK2 rear parcel shelf modification for speakers - Primaz?-dsc02416.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
MK2 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 02:38 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks, Primaz!
Lin

Old 09-02-2017, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Hi Guys, I have been looking at this issue also, I have a plan, but would be interested in your thoughts. I was looking at putting a 3/8" rear shelf, and cutting holes to the outside diameter of the speakers, then also cut the same sized holes in the metal shelf.

I was then considering putting a 3/4" shelf under the existing metal in a sandwich effect, with sound deadening on the metal. The speakers would then sit through the top holes and mount to the lower 3/4" shelf which would be screwed from above through the metal. That way the speakers would sit down inside the top shelf keeping the profile as low as possible.

The top shelf could be held in place with Velcro strips so it could easily be removed for cleaning and access to the speakers.

Any thoughts on my cunning plan, or am I making an acoustic problem ?

Old 09-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

There are a number of ways to do it but you want the speakers to be recessed in wood so they do not vibrate, etc. I would not mount them directly on metal. Also anything you use to cover the speakers from being shown should be screwed in rather than Velcro as you are likely to get vibrations. If you go through the effort to make a 3/4" above why not just recess the speakers there? Also you never need to clean the speakers so the only reason to remove the cover is if the speakers are blown. I did one car the way you mentioned but in reality it would have been better to just mount everything on it as I never removed the top ever.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Primaz, the plan was a 3/4" below with the speakers mounted on that with holes to the outside diameter of the speakers cut in the metal and also the 3/8" shelf above. I will screw the top shelf down from inside the boot as you advise.

The only reason do go to this effort is to keep the shelf depth as low as possible so it doesn't come above the glass line.

I have hunted for Porsche speaker carpet, but I can't find it, I'm assuming it's an acoustically transparent carpet, but most of the ones I can find don't have a great look, can you post a link for me please so I can try and track the correct thing down.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member

I believe the carpet came stock on the Porsche 996 and Boxsters and was used to hide their Bose speakers. It is common for high end car audio shops to use on custom speaker boxes but it is likely hard to find and most likely sold in large rolls so it might be cheaper to see if a local car audio shop would wrap the wood you make?

Old 09-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Primaz, I will follow that line of inquiry, and hopefully I can find a good color match.