MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Vintage Caravans

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Vintage Caravans

I have a dream of touring Australia in my 64 S-Type, towing a period correct van. It's a long way off coming to fruition. I've heaps to do to get the S-Type up to the task, including a full engine rebuild & finding & fitting a tow bar to it. But I've started browsing the interweb to get an idea of what's available & how much I should budget. & it looks like I should be able to get something suitable for between $5000-$15000 AUD. Small & cute are high on my priority list, as it must look great behind the Jag & I don't want it slowing the car down on hills. I was thinking of sticking to the same year as the Jag, 1964, as I could then match my car's 64 JAG licence plates with 64 VAN, if it's available. & there are plenty of suitable vans from that year that I like. But I'm also being swayed by a lot of older vans, especially from the 50s. The oldest to catch my eye is this beauty from 1938! 1938 Other | Caravans | Gumtree Australia Maitland Area - Thornton | 1122038793 & it's only $8500! If I was closer to needing the van, & didn't need to budget for the car's resurrection, I'd be putting a bid on that one. Though I'd really like to check out any van I bought before purchasing, as I know that old vans can be riddled with rust & rot, & a bigger money pit than an old Jag (if that's possible). So I'll be caveat emptoring this baby all the way home.
Now I know that a few members here have done the same thing with their Jags & I'd love to hear their experiences, the good & the bad. & what needs to be done to make an S-Type a better tow car, without ruining the space, pace & grace that makes it a Jag. & where's the best place to look for a tow-bar kit?
Plus any cool shots of cute vans being towed by old Jags will be most appreciated too.
Thanks
SC

Old 02-01-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Just thought I'd mention that there is a lovely little German caravan that might suit you. Neighbours opposite had one a few years ago before they moved on. However the name escapes me, but I've attached a photo.They are really cute, although I suppose if you're 6' 6" you might not fit in to the bunk !

Edit
It is a Hymer, I think.

Attached Thumbnails Vintage Caravans-caravan.jpg  

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 02-01-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Nah, I'm 5' 4" (165 cm). So I can fit in anywhere. That van looks very nice, & is about the size I'm looking for, though I'd prefer a more 60s/50s style. I also doubt there'd be very many of them out here. I've never heard of them. We don't import many Caravans, & most on our market are from local builders.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

I think you want this one personally

Old 02-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Yep. I'd love an Airstream! But they're as rare as Rockinghorse Poo out here, & VERY expensive!

Old 02-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

It's a pain that they are so expensive, they look so damn cool.

I thought you guys down under slept under the stars? Surely that's why caravans are not so common there !

Old 02-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Caravans abound here, as do RV Mobilehomes. The Grey Nomad Army on their endless SKI (Spending the Kids Inheritance) tours of our wide brown land clog our roads every Winter, as they escape the southern cold. I prefer to sleep under the stars when west of the Great Dividing Range, as the skies are usually clear & the Stars magnificent! But the coastal regions are as prone to rain as anywhere else on this mud ball, & a roof is recommended for all but the driest part of the year, & even then you're risking a soaking.