MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

What have I found?

Old 02-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Similar to a Group A VN Commodore rising in value will increase the price of a stock VN SS, it might help a bit, but will never really equate to much.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 299 Likes on 215 Posts

That's not really a fair comparison, as all Australian collectable cars are restricted to a very small domestic market. The rest of the World hasn't heard of them, by & large. So they don't attract much interest off shore. All classic Jags are World cars, including the S-Type, & they generate interest from everywhere on the planet. S-Types are actually getting pretty thin on the ground in the UK. Where salted roads have rusted away all but the very well cared for. & values are definitely on the rise there. Even here S-Type values are nudging $40K, for the best examples, which they were nowhere near just a few years ago.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

too bad they are Right Hand Drive down under, for I have a wonderful no rust, unrestored, needs no restoration, Left Hand Drive 1965 S type with a very interesting provenance, a California Black Plate Car, preserved by its owner in Pebble Beach, Oakland, and San Francisco.

In 2005 I fitted a complete, new stainless steel exhaust system from Bell Exhausts because by 2004 the original exhaust system was blown. I used stainless steel Band clamps throughout, like the factory did.

original Cream carpeting, and trim, original wood, never redone, original boot trim,
I searched for a S type for almost 10 years, I drove East, North, South, and West, in that order, and they were all rusted out junkers. Until one day I saw this tiny ad quite by accident and called the seller. Yes I paid a premium but I got a premium car. Enough said.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 299 Likes on 215 Posts

Yes, we're restricted to RHD markets. But that does include all the Commonwealth countries. & the UK itself is becoming a very hot market for old Jags. Some models would be worth the cost of conversion for the US market, though never an S-Type. My Daughter sold her Citroen DS19 Safari Wagon to a Frenchman, who intended to ship it back to France, where they're now as rare as hen's teeth, & convert it back to LHD. I could well envisage my S-Type making to back to the Old Dart, one day. But that's more because I fancy touring Britain in it than any profit motive. But if the money's too good to resist, it may well be going home for good. At least it won't need it's steering wheel moved.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

James, I think if you are trying to make money, take a pass. But if you want a unique smallish luxury car, and have a lot of time, tools and money to restore it, I for one would love to see this car brought back to life. You can look at Hemmings and Hagerty websites to estimate "resale".

I am not looking at my project that way. I fully expect to lose money restoring my Jaguar MK2. But I would lose money on a new car as well, so why not "lose money" on a beautiful, unique vehicle? If the car "speaks to you" then go for it! Take it home, breathe new life into it and enjoy her like she is meant to be enjoyed.

There's more to life than money, don't you think? Enjoy the ride

Old 02-13-2017, 02:40 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I feel that saving a classic can be rewarding to enjoy when completed and it also can be said that it is a commendable act. However as Helen Keller said "life is short so eat your desert first" therefore it is wise to consider any cost as an investment. I speak of cash and time. All things we do in life are measured in time and reward we get for the time and cash involved. I am about to release a buyers guide for the XJS but the basics should be applied to any classic car. The car that is a rust bucket is as such because someone else found that the idea of saving that car was more sex appeal than reality or they just ran out of life. So although saving some cars seem like a noble idea, one must also measure the amount of sanity they may give up along the way. In other words, sometime we pay too much for the things we get.

LeRoy