MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

XJ-6 rack conversion in MK-2 and S type

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts
Default XJ-6 rack conversion in MK-2 and S type

has anyone done the conversion to a XJ-6 rack and power steering pump in their MK-2 or S type?

if you have, please provide your experience. I am considering doing it in my S type.

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
DevilDog (01-11-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 07:47 AM
Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts

Jose, I converted to an XJ6 Series 3 rack and pump on my last Mark 2 project. I forget if I used the kit from XKs Unlimited or British Auto (now SNG). It was a good 15 years ago so no pics. As I recall it was a simple bolt on operation. The conversion is a no brainer for anyone who drives vs shows their Mark 2 - it brings the steering response and feel up to that of a modern car. This along with a 700 R4 trans (if you have an automatic) make for a really nice driver.

Jose (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Doug,

thanks for your feedback.

I have heard that steering geometry is affected, including turning radius;

do you still have the MK-2 ?

Old 01-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts

That build was for my wife who just didn't use it so it was sold about 10 years back. The current XJR transplant is for me

Any geometry change is easy to determine - just get one of the XJ6 guys to give you a rack length (from ball joint center to ball joint center on the rack ends) and compare that to the steering arm joint centers on the Mark 2 linkage. I'm guessing the rack might be a bit longer, but I never noticed any bump steer and never had a problem with turning radius.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

thanks again, are you doing another conversion? if yes, please document it with pictures.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 PM
JPG
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Jose,
My Mk2 was converted to an XJ6 power steering rack by the previous owner (I don't have any doc, sorry) but I can assure you that it does drive well without any issue. It did lean too much into corners (nothing to do with the conversion) but a 1" anti sway bar took care of that.
JP

Jose (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

if sometime you could take some pictures of the finished job it would help a lot.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:02 AM
JPG

I will do it this coming week end.
JP

Old 01-15-2015, 03:30 PM
JPG

I did go through the documentation I received from the previous owner of my car. Apparently he used the Vicarage power steering conversion that was sold by SNG Barratt. It look like the parts are from an XJ40. There is a full description of adapting this to an S at: JEC Glasgow Region
Best,
JP

Jose (01-15-2015)
Old 08-31-2017, 07:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default steering rack conversions..

seems there is plenty of choice.. most use the series 3 XJ6 rack with shortened outer tie rods.. I just installed a kit for XKs unltd.. it has not gone well.. firstly the shortened tie rods are still too long to get the distance between steering arms correct .. (starting pint is apporx 47" between centre of tea rod ends installed) I had to take approx 3/8'' off each tie rod to get length suitable for width.. secondly the 're-conditioned rack' they supplied leaked like a sieve as soon as fluid was poured in reservoir.. thirdly there are saint instructions for getting the connecting shaft to steering column the coorrect length ( instructions state shorten by 1/2" -1" ..in fact it needed about 4" taken off ) thirdly the 'replacement' rebuilt rack they supplied to day ( i paid fora new one ..$658 + tax and shipping..due to thier 30 days on addressing returns ) looks sub standard.. pinion position is in a totally different place to the 'other' rack.. no inner boot clips supplied.. the mounting bushings were totally shot (perished and rotted) ..
my advice.. keep well clear of the Xks unltd kit.. I will try one of the vicarage kits next .. very different concept with emplacement pulls and brackets, separate steering pump and belts and it comes with the column linkage..
results on driving..tire squeal on corners.. the geometry is all off due to different length of rack V old set up..and sharp angles of tie rods leave lot to be desired.. steers much more positively.. belt (new) squeals on turns for parking.. its an improvement over the stock st up, but they quality of the XKs unltd kit best described as sub standard.. also length of high pressure hose is WAY too long..I had to fabricate a bracket to secure it so it does not chafe on either cylinder block or cars monocoque.. not sure how long the replacement rack will last.. i dont trust the quality .. everything about it says 'shoddy'

Jose (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for the write up.

I stay clear of XKs Unltd. for everything. And I am not the only one, other Jaguar owners have had seriously bad experiences. Their "Customer Service" is non-existent. They have a practice of blaming the bad quality of their parts on the customers.

When I purchased my S type in 2004 in San Francisco, I stopped at their shop in San Jose, only to find it is a group of storage units in a Storage facility. I will spare you the experience I had there.

The old small saloons do not lend themselves to rack & pinion. The geometry is not there.
I have heard the turning radius is affected, so why spend so much money in a so called improvement that does not work?

Old 08-31-2017, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

I agree that XK's Unlimited has the worst customer service and I stopped buying anything from them due to their poor service.

For power steering contact Jag Outlet, Terry at 800 706-5247 They have a very good power steering rack bracket that works well. I have their power steering setup and another Jaguar MKII in my area also used the same setup and there are no issues.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:14 AM
Default rack and pinions V original steering.

In answer to the comments that :-'The old small saloons do not lend themselves to rack & pinion. The geometry is not there.
I have heard the turning radius is affected, so why spend so much money in a so called improvement that does not work?"

There sems to be mixed opinion.. I was first aware of an XJ6 assisted rack adapted to a jaguar 420 in Uk in mid 1970s.. and was told one downside, was that the different pivot points between rack and steering arms on the uprights causes the wheels to move in different planes than previously, causing tire squeal.. some also report 'bump steer.

Others who have fitted rack and pinion conversions report great satisfaction in a more enjoyable driving experience..Ive also been told there is more affective steering lock..it will turn tighter. the different kits on offer may vary in effectiveness and quality.
The original steering leaves a lot to be desired compared to the models that evolved this line of cars.. the XJ6 had class winning ride, steering, brakes and handling on its introduction in '68..one in good operable condition is still a highly competent car today. It uses the self same front suspension design as the Mk2 (little changed since the Mk5..1950?Apart from coil springs replacing torsion bars) except the track is wider.. and a major part of its still 'modern' feel is due to the preciseness of rack an pinion steering..
the current project is a nicely optioned car (spoke wheel 3.8 manual overdrive.reutter reclining seats) but came came without power assisted steering..
Im all for 'reversible' improvements and am building this car to be enjoyable to drive.. if the rack set up does not work out.. I can always fit an original power box..the pump and reservoir fitted are original jaguar parts which I rebuilt before fitting.. It may be that there are other practical routes if the XJ6 series3 based kits do have unacceptable shortcomings..

Old 09-01-2017, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member

it does sound like the SNG Barrat conversion kit is the one that resolves all the problems.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
MK2 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 10:29 AM
BSM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

In 1995, way earlier than my ownership, my Mark 2 was fitted with a Series 3 XJ6 steering rack.
The part number is ADWEST CAC9941-8T date code 5-B
The original steering pump was used and is now mounted behind an alternator.
I suspect the original rack mounting brackets are from XKS Unlimited.
The installation was done by one Jim Griffen in California.
The tie rod ends are almost fully threaded in but the toe-in is in fact quite correct.

The steering performance is quite exemplary and so I have not messed with it.

If detailed pictures are wanted I can take some

Bruce M

Old 09-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

There is an alternative, which is to fit the Adwest Marles Varamatic steering box as fitted to the 420s and late 420G cars. Even some Mark 2s had them, although these might have been 340s.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Default addition to rack conversion thread..

today I competed the replacement rack swap :- replacement rack from XKs unltd had the pinion groove that allows both to go though in ONE position only in a different (incorrect) position.. approx 80-90o off the position of first rack supplied.(which was correct .. bolt in line with rack body in straight ahead position) So this meant the coupling had to be re-fabricated.. going though my parts stash I discovered a 'partial' conversion kit that came with a parts car I had aquired some time back.. looks to be components from a Vicarage /SNG Barratt kit..(I think its a complete kit minus the actual steering rack) the steering coupler is a considerably superior and easy to install design compared with modifying the existing original jaguar parts :- its a 2 piece assy with additional spline. so that one can adjust position of steering column to rack hook up to ANY position.. package's marked :- "lower steering column Mk2 strg conversion" ..part number is SBS1431.. the other part the shaft slides into is numbered CAC3470 .. this was very easy to install and requires no modification..saves a bundle of time and the hassle of re-fabrication of existing coupling..
I'll check and see if these parts are readily available as individual items.... if so it will save a major headache when installing a kit that is supplied without the column coupler..
after some road testing I will remove and rebuild the upper column, which has some issues after 57 yrs in place.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
There is an alternative, which is to fit the Adwest Marles Varamatic steering box as fitted to the 420s and late 420G cars. Even some Mark 2s had them, although these might have been 340s.
Yes, the marles 'varamatic' box was fitted to the post '67 3.8 Mk2 cars and the 340 and 240 when fitted with power option ..(I'll add here:- 420s have it..but the '67 US market '340' sold alongside the 420 before the home market 240/340 were produced does NOT.. it also retains the old style steering box along with the DG auto trans ..I beleive home market and euro export cars went to the BW 35 post '66) but you still have the issue of all those linkages .. and the 'dead' steering feel.. the varamatic box also takes some getting used to due to its variable ratio..it offers greater assist (lighter steering) and turns the wheels faster as lock increases..too many bits for my liking..and just like the previous power assisted box..they often develop leaks. The rack set up is simpler and hence should be less troublesome.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:44 AM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by tjt77
Yes, the marles 'varamatic' box was fitted to the post '67 3.8 Mk2 cars and the 340 and 240 when fitted with power option .. but you still have the issue of all those linkages .. and the 'dead' steering feel.. the varamatic box also takes some getting used to due to its variable ratio..it offers greater assist (lighter steering) and turns the wheels faster as lock increases..too many bits for my liking..and just like the previous power assisted box..they often develop leaks. The rack set up is simpler and hence should be less troublesome.
Also worth noting is the x-member to which this power steering box is fitted differs with the std. non-assisted suspension cross member. It is hollowed out slightly to accept the power assisted box. I have the complete set up from a 420 fitted to my Mk 2. Yes, it does feel dead and yes it does leak!

Quick Reply: XJ-6 rack conversion in MK-2 and S type