New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

hello friends

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello friends

hi there,

i'm Shawn from Malaysia (a country in south-east asia).

my dad's got an old XJS 5 litre V12 2-door. currntly engine's condemed so we're doing a little backyard projct 2 convet and swap out the motor for a 2JZ-GTE 3.0l twin turbo engin. jus for those few who may not know it's the motor from the toyota supra '99. it is a inline 6cyl 3000cc 2x turbo intercooled engine. we just got the halfcut today but i don't have pics as my digi-cam's not working. will get pics uploaded soon. lotsa work involved and custom fabrication but shold be good stuff (hopefully) in the end.

cheers and very nice 2 meet u all! (sorry 4 bad english and wrong spellings!)

Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default RE: hello friends

wow, sounds like a pretty large endeavour with that engine swap! It's sure to be a one-of-a-kind, and looking forward to seeing some project pics. welcome to our little world of jag ownership. Dad gonna let you drive that baby when she's finished?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome to the forums !
Good luck with your car

Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 PM

Hey Shawn & Welcome to the Forum

You from Kuala lumpur!!

Nice to hear you gettin a new engine. I am pretty sure, Labor is cheap there

Old 02-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

A 2J in a Jag? HELL YEAH!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post pics if you are successful.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  6.4 KB

Hi vexred.............great intro and nice info to boot.
Welcome to the forums and please keep us informed of your project. A writew up with pics etc would be a nice addittion to the forum!

Jim

Old 02-14-2008, 01:29 AM

hi friends,

hehe i dunno man but i'm sure dad will let me i'll at least get 2 test it out cos my dad's a bit clueless when it comes 2 cars... so i'm managing this err, 'project' 4 him i guess. hehe i've got my own car (an evo 5, and the other is my baby hehe - an old toyota corona TT141 powered by a 1JZ-GTE engine, with a 2JZ block, 5-spd manual and other goodies mainly 4 drift n drag). anyways let me start out by saying 3 yrs ago my wealthy uncle decided 2 get rid of some of his luxury rides so the XJS was literally given 2 my dad but the engine was in bad shape as it'd been rottin in the garage untouched for about 10 yrs. we can't really afford the maintenance and ordering parts is a hassle as it'll have 2 come if not from UK at least some other far-off place. we'd have 2 pay shipping/tax and not 2 mention not many of us ACTUALLY KNOW a jag inside out. jag masters are mostly UK/euro-based hehe and we're definitely not there. so my cousin took a look at the engine bay and we all came 2 the conclusion in 2minutes - plonk in a 2JZ-GTE twin turbo. bye bye V12. end of story.

my dad opted more for comfort, so last week we sourced a 2JZ-GTE auto (instead of the manual clip), from a '98 toyota aristo. engine is identical 2 the supra (only downside is that's auto) so this is indeed the big mama 2JZ-GTE which is an absolute humdinger of an engine. the only other japanese engine that can come near this chunk is the skyline RB26-DETT which is slightly on the rarer side here. costs a lot more as well.

the car was towed from my house few days ago but yestrdy i visited my cousin's scrapyard and they've made quite large progrs dismatling the V12 from the XJS... y'all want pics rite? here are some:

Name:  DSC00006800x600.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  DSC00005800x600.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  52.0 KB

don't worry many more 2 come of the 2JZ getting err.. 'shoe-horned' in hehe!

from what the mechs say removing the V12 is NO easy task at all even with all the hi-tech tools, but it will be fully stripped out in a day or 2. i'm actually east malaysian where off-roading is very very very popular so what people love doing's taking huge lumps like the 1JZ or 2JZ and putting 'em in their 4x4's and just destroying the countryside. there are quite a lot of old euro cars here like old Beemers and mercedes, and many ppl just can't keep up with the maintenance of the stock engines as they're jus 2 old, so we swap in turbo jap engines hehe! 2JZ is the common choice for bigger cars while the smaller old-skool beemers (like e30) are normally converted for drift powered by nissan silvia SR-20s from the S13 or S14. if i'm not getting the model wrong (i think) they just did a 1988 E280 merc powered by a 1JZ-GTE VVTI turbo engine, that thing's got so much torque it wheelspins if u floor the gas WHILE ALREADY MOVING or cruising at 60km/h, and it's only auto trans - an old dude's car. i can only imagine the VVTI 1JZ connected 2 a manual trans with a badass clutch. i will get the pics here as well. from what i can see the XJS V12 engine's long and tall. the 2JZ is tall as well but FAT, so it's quite a challenge fitting a fat engine into a skinny but long engine bay. but... it's gonna get done =)

basicaly here's the plan for the jag:

1. swap in the 2JZ-GTE auto
2. fully custom make a new wheel base, (change suspension, rims, axles, LSD, everything la!)
3. 4-inch exhaust piping system with big-as-possible muffler for some good sound
4. spray the car black, it is currently an ugly murky green colour. not healthy and sporty looking.
5. slam low on big '2-piece' 8jj and 9jj rims (back rim wider than front rims), probably 18s and possibly mod the PCD (i still don't know the XJS PCD, anyone here know?)
6. inside will be kept as ORIGINAL as possible, cos my dad's old fashioned and likes the XJS interior soooo much.
7. possibly lighten the car as much as possible. i know for a fact with the V12 lump's a lot heavier than the 2JZ.
8. when everything's nice and running, and since the 2JZ is known for its bulletproof bum, we'll swap in a big mama singe turbo and possible a standalone ECU for some HP increase. it's also nice 2 know that the jag chassis is super stiff, and we're glad we're moving onto a platform that gives us 'upgradeability' to the 600/700HP marker. stay tuned folks!

sorry i've typed 2 much... i get talkative when it comes 2 modified cars. sory ladies/gents

Old 02-14-2008, 01:48 AM

oops i just realised i should not have posted the tech stuff here rite? sorry sorry!

admin, can u move it 4 me??

Old 02-14-2008, 11:49 PM

hey everyone,

my XJS project updates will all be posted in the 'XJS' section of this forum, so if ur interested 2 see what's going on, do check it out there... i'll post pics of what other nice cars we have in malaysia as well!! hehe!!

cheers.

shawn

Old 02-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

This section is for new members, but regardless it was nice to see what's going on over there. I'll go to the XJS section now and make more comments there. In the mean time, since you've been welcomed....this is locked.