New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello Jaguar World!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Hello Jaguar World!

When I was a youngster I had a forest green Volvo 164 that I loved, but it was a constant maintenance headache since it had 88k miles on it when I got it. When I could afford to buy a new car, I bought an '86 Mazda 626GT with a turbo, and I loved that car. when it finally died, I got a '96 626, but by then they didn't make the turbo anymore, and the 626 had grown pudgy and middle aged, like a Camry. It didn't have legs either, and it died after 90k miles in 2004. At my wife's insistence (she liked the reliability of her '94 Corolla Wagon), I bought a 2004 Corolla, but I hated it from the day I picked it up at the dealer. After a few months, we swapped cars - she used the 2004 Corolla and I got the 1994 Corolla - with an agreement that when the '94 died, I could get whatever car I wanted. After driving the rusty '94 Corolla for 5 more years (with 175,000 miles on it) it was time for something new.

I shopped around for a new car, but I just couldn't bring myself to sign up for five years of $400-$500/month payments for cars that weren't all that inspiring. For 3 years I have had a Jaguar hood ornament (bought on Ebay) on my desk in the office, and I always wanted a british racing green Jag - but then I found out they had discontinued the X-type (the only model I could actually afford.) So I looked on the Interweb for a used one, and I was pleasantly surprised at how affordable they seemed.

In April 2009 I bought a 2003 X-Type, 3L, black on black, with 35,000mi on it for $9,500. I bought this black cat from a used car dealer named -get this - Ernest Wolf. Despite the unfortunate symbolism, the car seemed in great condition - except for an alternator light that intermittently appeared and a few very minor scratches, but I was SMITTEN, and I bought it anyway. Three days later I found myself on the side of the road with an overheated engine, and had to limp home a mile at a time.

The return nipple on the coolant resevior was cracked and leaking. I had my mechanic check out the car and replace the alternator and the coolant tank for $1,000. I also discovered that one of the headlights had a snapped adjustment lever, but the mechanic wanted $1,000 to replace the entire assembly, which I thought was outrageous (and it was.) I bought the headlight assembly online for $340, along with the JTIS cd, and I did the job myself. The new drivers headlight looked so new and perfect, and, um, so not blue, that I also replaced the passenger side headlight assembly a week later. I really disliked the blue low-beams - I found it hard to see. I know I could have just replaced the bulbs, but I wanted the lights to match.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that my black cat isn't bad luck, and won't keep scratching me. It has been two months and 2k miles without any further problems, and I really love this car. After driving japanese tin cans for the last 23 years, I find myself grinning like an idiot every time I get in, smell that leather, and start that motor. I only regret that I didn't go and buy myself a brand new one while they were still making them. I may even go and buy myself another one, but I dont know where I'd keep it.

I found this forum EXTREMELY helpful in locating advice and resources, so after lurking for two months, I am now officially signed up as a noob junior member.

Last edited by MeatBag; 06-07-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome to the forums
I am moving your thread off to the New Members Forum so that you get more welcoming messages

Old 06-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey meatbag, welcome to the forum
What a great intro and story of your previous car ownership and how you got into Jags.
The X is a beautiful car and an 03 will have had most of the earlier issues resolved, no doubt.
Check out the X typr faq quick links in the X type section for loads of useful how to's Faq'S links etc etc.

BTW - don't be afraid to post up pics of your baby n show her off. One of yourself in the mug shot thread too if you feel like it
Lookin forward to seein you around and glad you enjoy the forum

All the best