New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hey guys!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys!

Well figured to sign in. I have always loved jaguars sl;eek look and elegance...The ultimate sleeper cars paired with class...
2weeks ago i passed a mustang scrap yard/performance yeard...in the front sitting beside 3 smashed corvettes, I saw a beautiful Black 1996 XJ6.
The car has extremely minor rust in obvious places, a few barely noticeable dents and upon closer viewing.. the engine bay was clean enough to change my daughters diaper without a worry...I squeezed in the car and sat in the drivers seat, no power in the car and later found out there was also no key to the car. The interior minus the middle console and far outside side support of the drivers seat was immaculate.. even the carpets look brand new. I inquired on the price and to my surprise he was asking 800 dollars...Due to not having a key and no idea what running condition the car was in.
I figured the vehicles condition was more than suffice to pay 800 even if it wasnt running. so i had it towed to my home right away.
I have been tinkering as i get a chance for a week now, first waiting a week for a key from jaguar to see if anything actually works. I picked up the key when they called and rushed home and to my dismay, it didnt fit any of the locks, not the glove box, not the door, not the trunk or ignition...215 dollars down the tubes.. The dealership told me no refunds on keys...I called to ask them about any past lock changes in the cars history as it is the only dealership in the area and figured if you get all the locks changed.. the dealership is the place to do it...the only history they found was a guy ordering a key that DID NOT work this past september... yest they still ordered me a key knowing it wouldnt work before they took my money. (not impressed and not finished with getting a refund)
I called a locksmith here in ottawa and he came out the next morning and for 350 bucks he fixed my key, and made me 2 spares that work in every lock on the car...I popped the trunk and put a fresh battery in, and turned the car over and no fuel and no spark...and my alternator is seized completely. Choosing not to pay 600 for a new one i started calling around to scrapyards.. and to my ultimate surprise I managed to call the right place at the right time....1996 XJR supercharged just was smashed in the front end, no damage to drive train, hood and fender are done, and the car has less than 100K on it and the interior is in showroom condition...
a gradeschool friend of mine and my brother is a manager there and they have 1820 dollars into the car and he offered it to me complete for 2000. I now have 2 1996 jags, one yet to make it to my home but both cars every electronic part works, 1 interior beyond mint condition, and my non starter is the perfect base to build a beautiful XJR with...I am now here as i have never worked on a jaguar in my life, I have rebuilt wankel engines, and built a 1981 RX7 from the ground up.. so figuring I like to challenge myself.. I will be step by step working on these two vehicles and keeping you all posted on my progress.. I am hoping as i go along some of you guys who are more familiar will be able to help me do this job right so i can end up with 1 beautiful car from the 2. I will also be more than happy to sell off anything I am not using very inexpensively to anyone needing bits for their cars...
Long story short.. HI....

Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, nice intro . I think you should become a handy person considering you repaired wankel engines .
X300 Forum is a great one for your questions and interact with our knowledgeable members and tech guys .
Enjoy your new ride and the forums

Old 05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi there, welcome to the forum. Not having seen any pics of either of them, would it not be better to rebuild the XJR with the body parts from your non-starter.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

Hi Bigex! Welcome to the forums, and enjoy. Sounds like a good project you have going.

There's always people looking for parts, so subscribe to the XJ6 area and jump right into the discussions to learn about these cars.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey bigex, welcome to the site. Great intro, great story and sounds like you're gonna have one helluva Jag when its all done
These are exactly the kind of projects that make the best FAQ's write ups c/w pics for future members to see and we look forward to it.
There are some top guys here on site with lots of knowledge, techs too that I'm sure will help.
Please jump in and post away any questions you have into the relevant section and have fun.....

Old 05-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Wow, that sounds like quite the fixer upper! I wish you the best in getting everything running. Much more than I think I could tackle.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:27 PM

thnks guys
I thought about fixing the XJR but it was written off by the insurance company and th frame is bent. A young moron in an overpowered civic caught air on a railroad track and landed on the passenger fender. I figure using th body from the XJ6 which is spotless underneath, an in relatively great condition bodywise (only 2 tiny cut and weld spots on fenders to remove rust) would be a more pofitable return. Everyone looks at carfax these days an i am sure 75% of perspective buyers (if i ever sell) would shy away knowing it was at once a write off. I can mak the XJ6 into a perfect XJ^ and not a single thing other than the registration would distinguish it isnt an XJR by the time i will be done. I think th body repair and frame straightening would un me upwards of 6000-8000 where the swap costs me nothing ut blood sweat and tears, leaving me with a mint condition XJR with a XJ6 registration..lol
I look forward to posting pics, I would have som posted already but think i may have a nipple stuck in my hard drive as my computer wont boot up so it is formatting as we speak...By the wekend I will have something started in the x300section and try to detail my progress as best I can.
Can't wait to tun heads and crush egos with a beautiful Jag....

Old 05-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Good for you! Sounds like a bit of a task but if you really want to do it I hope you can get lots of help here.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:56 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome - I just love those "flyin' Civics". I woner if he belongs to the famous Flyin' Civics circus act?

Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 AM

I am kindof a fan of the flying civic myself, considering his actions got m a smokin deal on a beautiful car!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Welcome to the site. This sounds like a great project, and when you are done, you will have an XJR that insures at the rate of an XJ6

Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

Definitely start a new thread to document all your hard work bigex! Looking forward to reading about it.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy Big

GREAT story! Congrats on your fine and welcome to the forum!

Old 05-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Fortune favours the brave!

Best of luck with your project and do keep us posted. I have just recently aquired a 1997 xj6/ x300 and my "to do" list pales into insignificance compared to yours! It has given me encouragement to realise how little I have to do to get my baby into 1st. class shape and ready for the road. May your knuckles remain unskinned!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Thanks...I actually dont mind my knuckles getting skined.. my theory (one taught by my dad) If the car doesnt bite you ... you arent fixing it right..