New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

I got a 2003 Jaguar S type as my first car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a 2003 Jaguar S type as my first car.

First things first, I'm 18.
My dad bought me a 2003 S type for my birthday. It's actually my first car.

I love it. It rides smoothly, it's gorgeous, it's spacious, and it just gives you a feeling of "Oh hell yeah" when driving it.

Problem is, people constantly tell me it's a POS car because it's old . I had a person tell me that people look down upon teenagers who drive luxury cars. I've heard a lot of "why even buy a 2003 jaguar it's so stupid and ugly". Really makes me feel bad .

Is it actually a POS car? I take care of it and there's 0 rust on it.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

It is whatever you think it is. Problem your friends might have is that they live in Pontiac, MI and you're driving a foreign car! You've got a tough crowd to please there Anyhoo, welcome to the forum. Maybe the mods can move your thread to the Intro section where everybody can say Hi!

Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Moved.

Welcome to the forum.

I guess that your friends are a little jealous.

18 and a 2003 S Type, can't be bad.

Good to see you.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,821 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Welcome to the forum TheYes,

I wonder what these critics of your S-Type drive? Sounds like a lot of jealousy coming out. Own it, drive it and enjoy it.

Follow this link S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the S-Type section for help, advice and information.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You may also like to visit the US Mid West Region section by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/mid-west-us-il-ia-mi-mn-mo-oh-wi-39/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 02-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Welcome, TheYes: And greetings from the Midwest Region of the forum! Hmmm... Lots that could be said. The S-Type is a nice car. A 2003 is not that old. The newest car in my "fleet" is a 2003, the oldest being 84 years old. That's old. If your dad got it for you, it's special. Period. Doesn't matter what others say, especially if you enjoy it. You can't let your feelings depend upon what other people say; because if so, you'll go through life feeling bad! I also think Muddydog has a point. You live in Michigan, near Detroit - spiritual home of the American car. I live in a small town in Wisconsin, and likewise my car tends to stand out like a sore thumb. I've just gotten used to it, as you will. And who said we have to drive what everybody else is driving, anyhow?

No, you're going to be ok. Keep calm and drive on! And when the S-type gives you problems (which it eventually WILL - all cars do!) we'll be here to help.

cheers!
Scott

The following users liked this post:
McJaguar (02-11-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 AM
Received 6,258 Likes on 5,458 Posts

Welcome to the forum TheYes,

Good to have you with us.
Some good advice above.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Received 4,192 Likes on 3,653 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the jag - you will have the naysayers - just ignore them - it was probably more cost effective to purchase a used jag than say a 2006 Honda, Chevy or any other newer model car and yet - it is probably in much better shape, maybe had lower mileage and is by far a much classier vehicle than the others. All cars have issues at some point in time and this forum certainly has a wealth of information and knowledgeable individuals who can help resolve even the trickiest of issues.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

tell them to sod off, im 19 live in Ann Arbor, MI and bought my 2000 XJ8, people say "why do you drive an old mans car? simple its an absolute dream to drive, a lot better then that Honda for Ford you got there" people looking at me will think im a spoiled knob but i bought this car myself, and pay for everything myself. but hey Americans are really ignorant people so let them think what they want. also if they say you need to support Merica tell them its was made under Ford unfortunately, and your not supporting American Auto manufacturers when you are buying a used car

oh and welcome to the forums!!!!! dont forget to check out the S-Type specific forum for anything related to your car

Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First welcome! I'm 42 and drive a 17 year old Jaguar. I have a good friend that drives a 2 year old Jaguar. We both get "shitty" comments all the time. It doesn't matter how old it is...they are jealous! Be proud. You bought into one of the most wonderful car families in the world!!! A Jaguar is never old....

Last edited by IreallywantaJag; 02-10-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi & welcome aboard Jaguarforums ....... good to have you here with us

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 AM

My god, everyone is so kind here.
Thanks for the the welcomes everyone .

Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome, young man. 41 years young here and my S-Type is a 1999 model with 132,000 miles on it. Obviously, it purrs like... well, like a Jaguar. Enjoy your fantastic car (you lucky sod! ;o) and never mind the begrudgers - everything over three years old is stone-age to most teenagers anyway!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TheYes
Hey man, i'm new here as well... Just registered today...

I have had old jags for a number of years..1986-7's to be exact...

And i'm here to tell ya "they" are jealous. period!

Thats a nice car you have there, and something you should be proud of in every way....

Take good care of it and treat it right....

All your buddies are tools !..they want a tuner crap can like all the other tools...

comfor,t quality, performance and comfort is where it is at, and you have it..enjoy !

Gerry

Old 02-11-2013, 02:43 AM

Oh and - invest in a tweed cap and sports-jacket with leather patches, and respond to criticisms with things like "My good man, if you have to ask you clearly have no business of one!". That'll drive the bejewelled and backwards-baseball-cap-wearing Eminem-wannabe types nuts!! ;o)

Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome!
Could be any number of things that make your buds pop-off with big chunks of stupid like that. Are you a "Car Guy"? I mean, do you love cars? or are they just transportation? 'cuz if you love 'em... then it don't matter what your buds have to say.

I work in the construction trades, and I take a lot of $h!h from people, 'cuz my regular drive is a Mercedes ML and my "Sunny-Fridays" drive is an '03 STR. But every one of these guys spent more on their pickups than I spent on my Benz or my Jag. So I tell 'em to ****-off.

Just remember: you WILL have to work on any 10 yr old car. When it needs attention, remember that so would a 10-yr old Chevy, or Honda.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Pretty funny post. Modern day Jags seem to draw out the some extreme reactions in people, frequently incorrect and ignorant. If I had listened to even 5% of what 'the experts' said, I never would have bought mine in the first place.

I can only guess that being 18 while driving something other than a 2 door Honda Civic makes you a prime target.

Just out of curiosity, have you or Dad put aside a good sized pump of money for inevitable repairs? Be aware that even doing things yourself, it will cost a LOT more than a similar repair on an econo box.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

The S Type is a great "Date" car.
Which do you think the girl would prefer, the ricer box, or the Jaaag?
Which car do you think she will feel comfortable, special in, the lowered corolla or the Jaaag?
Which car would she rather be seen in at the prom (go with me here), the civic with a wing, or the Jaaag?
Which car would you rather make-out in, the bucket seats of a STi or the back couch of the Jaaag?

I'm thinking Jaaag!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Just out of curiosity, have you or Dad put aside a good sized pump of money for inevitable repairs? Be aware that even doing things yourself, it will cost a LOT more than a similar repair on an econo box.
Yes. Repairs are expensive for the car and I'm almost out of my budget. I started with 15k for a first car, spent 9k on my Jag. Spent about 4-5k on repairs and now it runs good as new. No really major problems that I hear so much about. People sometimes say "You drive a Jag lol? Hows your engine doing" in a sarcastic manner.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 AM

Yes. Repairs are expensive for the car and I'm almost out of my budget. I started with 15k for a first car, spent 9k on my Jag. Spent about 4-5k on repairs and now it runs good as new. No really major problems that I hear so much about. People sometimes say "You drive a Jag lol? Hows your engine doing" in a sarcastic manner.
They're clueless. Those engines are properly strong.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

People have long memories and pass their prejudices along to their children. Jag did suffer a horrible spell of poor reliability and dependability but that was 30-40 years ago. On the other hand, this image that's still around today helps keep the cars affordable on the used car market, so I tend to let people believe what they want. Ssh, keep it a secret!

Quick Reply: I got a 2003 Jaguar S type as my first car.