New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.
View Poll Results: The Jaguar XF, a rear wheel drive car - good to drive in the snow and ice of OH?
The XF will drive just fine in the snow and ice.
100.00%
Avoid the XF if driving in snow and ice.
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

New from Cleveland - 2003 X-type

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 PM
BJM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New from Cleveland - 2003 X-type

Wish I had joined sooner. The Forum is full of interesting details.
I tought the X-Type and S-Type Jags were quite popular.... any reason why they are no longer being manufactured?
BJM

Old 05-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BJM
I tought the X-Type and S-Type Jags were quite popular.... any reason why they are no longer being manufactured?
BJM
I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to say hello and welcome to the forums. I have to admit, before I saw my XJR, I was looking at a really clean S-Type. If it had not sold out from under me, that's what I would have been driving. It was a fantastic buy, and exceptionally clean, which is likely why I missed it.

Again, welcome!

SuperSport

The following users liked this post:
BJM (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you with us.

BJM (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

BJM, welcome to the forum. Tell us about your X-type and maybe post a picture or two. Have fun here.

BJM (05-20-2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Welcome! Even though Cleveland is our natural rival here in Pittsburgh, I will welcome you anyway...

The S has been replaced by the XF. Simply as a matter of course really, Jag was rolling out a new style and felt a new moniker would be better.

The X was discontinued after being largely unchanged for most of its life - they are now working on a replacement entry level vehicle.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  19.3 KB

+1 from me on the great welcomes already received and the good info from Chrisx, good to have you here.

You might find the off topic good for fun, maybe check out the mug shot thread and add yours?

Some really good guys and great techs, top vendors offering good pricing levels and great service, and more to come....all good

In the meantime I've upgraded you manually to full forum access so you can better view the site

Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 PM
BJM

Thanks to one and all for the great welcome. Looking forward to exploring the forum.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

BJM (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BJM
BJM
Welcome... And don't listen to ChrisX..... Ever hear a song called "Pittsburgh Rocks"??? Didn't think so...

I'll try to answer your questions as quickly as possible.... But I tend to be a bit long winded....

The X-Type was an "OK" seller for Jaguar but no where near expectations or it's competition. Also, and this may fire up X Type fans, since a majority of the car was Ford based there was dwindling support for it. Meaning drive-train advancements and such. Add to that, the sale of Jaguar to Tata motors and you can see the path...

The S Type didn't get canceled, it evolved and was re-named.. Again, this may rile up the XF owners out there but the XF is not a all new car. It is an evolution of the S Type. The V8 engines are Jaguar (they own the technology) so the platform could be adapted to modern components. Honestly people think the S Type was just a Ford in Jag clothing, but it is more the other way around... The Lincoln LS was a Ford in Jaguar clothing, despite Ford engineers helping out with the project back in the late 90's.

This is also true with a great many Ford cars.... The Taurus= Volvo S60; Ford Fusion = Mazda 6...You get the picture...

K, I'll shut up now...

BJM (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Welcome BJM.

BJM (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe I'm not "new" anymore, but close enough. It's nice to say welcome to a fellow Clevelander.

BJM (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 PM
BJM

Again, thanks to one and all for the welcome.
JOsworth - your explanation is much appreciated and an eye opener.
Even the welcome from The Chris X is enjoyed - I know how difficult it must have been to be nice to me, a Clevelander - don't worry though, some of my best friends are in Pittsburgh - Ha ha.
And fellow Clevlander bzavasnik, appreciate your welcome.

New thought....

The Jaguar XF has suceeded the X-type ands S-type Jag - it is a rear wheel drive though.
Anyone have experience driving it in the snow and ice typical of the North East USA?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by BJM
Again, thanks to one and all for the welcome.
JOsworth - your explanation is much appreciated and an eye opener.
Even the welcome from The Chris X is enjoyed - I know how difficult it must have been to be nice to me, a Clevelander - don't worry though, some of my best friends are in Pittsburgh - Ha ha.
And fellow Clevlander bzavasnik, appreciate your welcome.

New thought....

The Jaguar XF has succeeded the X-type ands S-type Jag - it is a rear wheel drive though.
Anyone have experience driving it in the snow and ice typical of the North East USA?
Well, You are a bit off. The XF succeeded the S-Type and the X Type has not been replaced, just dropped from the line. Since the XF is an evolution of the S, both cars are strictly rear wheel drive. The X Type was a front drive based all wheel drive car. It had a transverse mounted engine and transaxle with a shaft exiting the case to drive the rear wheels.

Now, about low traction driving: It is a common miss conception that front drive evolved as a better traction alternative. It was not. It is popular because of packaging efficiency and lower cost. The concept was brought to light by tiny cars like the Austin Mini. But, as horsepower and torque increase, the driving characteristics of front drive quickly deteriorate. Some good examples are the 300hp Cadillac Northstars (ETS and STS), Honda/Acura V6's and the Mazdaspeed 3. Front drive has the disadvantage of acting very unpredictable under extreme high speed conditions (read torque steer and sudden oversteer). Rear wheel drive on the other hand tends to loose traction in a more controlled and gradual way. Again, this is a generalization, and there are better and worse in each type. Then there is all wheel drive. This is actually the best solution when applied correctly. This is why a great many ultra performance cars are all wheel drive. It allows for a balanced power delivery in very varied traction situations. Think Porsche Turbo, Audi RS's, Mitsubishi Evo, Lamborghini, and the list goes on. The problem with adding these systems is packaging room, weight, cost, and the power drain of more moving parts (ever notice how a all wheel drive Chrysler 300 looks like it's sitting on stilts?).

What does my endless babble have to do with winter traction? Everything. A properly balanced car on the dry will behave just as predictably in the snow. As with all cars and conditions, tires play a very important role. As does the traction control system and driver skill. A high power car is more dependent on these systems and tires than a low powered car. My S type was a dream to drive in the snow. My 300 sucks and I love rear drive. Why does the 300 suck? Crappy all season tires (that were new), 345 horse power, and a over aggressive traction control system designed for non-drivers. This coming winter I will fix the tire issue... but that still won't fix the traction control. The S Type's Jaguar DSC on the other hand was great. It allows a certain level of drift and wheel spin before it starts to intervene. And when it does kick in, it does so in a gradual way as to not upset the balance of the car.

So, to answer your question bluntly.... If you just want to crawl around at 20 MPH..Just about any car will do. If you are worried about getting through big piles of snow, get a SUV. If you want a predictable balanced car...get an S type or XF...

Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 PM
BJM

Jeff - a wealth of good information - thank you.

My current problem is extensive rust of the frame (7 year old 2003 X-type with 62K miles) and I have been advised to get a new car - I am not sure what direction to take - buy new or certified pre-owned.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bryan

Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by BJM
Jeff - a wealth of good information - thank you.

My current problem is extensive rust of the frame (7 year old 2003 X-type with 62K miles) and I have been advised to get a new car - I am not sure what direction to take - buy new or certified pre-owned.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bryan
Certified Pre-Owned are usually the best bargain... Not only do you get a car that has already taken the initial depreciation hit, you end up with a warranty that covers almost the entire car for a total of 6 years or 100k miles...

Have to plug my former dealer.. Jaguar Cleveland in Solon.... Stop in and ask for the service manager, Mike Shoda... Tell him Jeff Osworth sent you and you'd like to speak with someone about getting a car... They will take real good care of you...They treated me really good from the purchase of my Select Edition S Type through service. Just be careful if you need any paint work... Long story that isn't worth telling unless needed..

Just be warned.... If you get an XF I will be REAL jealous...LOL

Last edited by JOsworth; 05-25-2011 at 05:46 AM.
BJM (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 PM
BJM

Hi Jeff,

I appreciate you suggesting I contact Mike Shoda at Jaguar Cleveland in Solon. Thanks you for giving me permission to mention your name.

You have been a wealth of information and certainly went beyond expectations when answering my posts.

I am in the market for a new car as we speak and would like to hear more about Jaguar Cleveland - at your convenience and if your are comfortable, please call me at 440-840-6000 (mobile). Easier to talk than multiple posts.

Thanks

Bryan.