New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to the Jag World

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New to the Jag World

Hi All,

After several months of looking around, I finally bought a 2000 XKR. The car is titanium (blue??) with tan interior. It has about 88,000 miles, Mina exhaust system, Mina Cold (hot) air kit and a Mina (I think) crank pulley. It is in nice shape with a huge folder of service history receipts so I can see the car was driven hard but also cared for. It originated in CA and then moved to Illinois and used as a toy so i don't see any rust (haven't really crawled under yet to really look.

While the car is nice, it is still 16 years old and has some issues that need to be addressed. Some I knew before I paid for her and some caught me as a bit of a surprise.

Knew about:
Pretty worn seats, especially the drives - but EVERY car I looked at was the same. New seat covers are in the future.

HORRIBLE fuel smell in the cabin. Intermittent but there. I had the local Ford dealer look it over as a pre-sale (small town closest Jag dealer was hours away) and then had the PO's local guy check it over, nothing visibly wrong and no codes. Records show a repair for a code and a vacuum leak at the canister purge valve. Ordered a new valve and will do the TSB, hoping that is the fuel smell. Also keeping the tank near full seems to help.

Found out on the 3 hour drive home or since then after running some OBD diagnostics:
She has a lot of power - from an idle, but when I hit the gas hard while moving (30mph for example) it is actually quite slow. It starts up immediately hot or cold and responds nicely so I don't think compression is an issue (will check when I change plugs) but something is certainly amiss.

It smells like it is running very RICH. Could be related to the above. The long term fuel trims are between 11-16% on each bank so I know she is dumping in extra fuel. The O2 sensors appear to be responding a bit slow but still responding. The odd thing is that I only see 2 sensors (the 2nd) with my OCD Mindreader and Torque Pro. No codes on or pending so the computer isn't upset. Thinking a combination of tired O2 sensors and a vacuum leak.

The intake temps are HOT. I mean wow, on a 75 degree day driving along at 40mph the intake temps are 120 or so. The cone air filter has a small shield that is doing NOTHING to stop it from ingesting hot engine air. Factory air box is long gone so i need to figure out a way to isolate the air filter from the engine heat. Also want to check the intercooler. I can feel the pump running but with air increases that extreme I do wonder if the coolant is circulating or the cores are dirty.

Suspension is solid, but I feel some closeness and some thuds when I go over bumps. Suspect a bushing/balljoint project is in the future. Already have a message into Powerflex but not sure I want poly over rubber, I really don't want to lose the comfortable ride. Hoping the stock shocks are good, otherwise just going to standard XK8 shocks. Not dropping 1600 on shocks for the weekend toy.

Last and biggest problem is that my kids and I have sore cheek muscles because despite all the above, we can't stop smiling.

Overall, I LOVE this car. I graduated up from Fiat Spiders so the power and comfort are leaps and bounds better. I think I got a good deal (assuming the power issue is nothing major) but had I known I would be dropping another 2k in her, I might have pushed for a bit more off the price. Cest La Vis.

Open to any comments and suggestions and I'll keep tabs on the projects!

Old 08-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New to the Jag World

Hi All,

After several months of looking around, I finally bought a 2000 XKR. The car is titanium (blue??) with tan interior. It has about 88,000 miles, Mina exhaust system, Mina Cold (hot) air kit and a Mina (I think) crank pulley. It is in nice shape with a huge folder of service history receipts so I can see the car was driven hard but also cared for. It originated in CA and then moved to Illinois and used as a summer toy so I don't see any rust (haven't crawled under yet to really look).

While the car is nice, it is still 16 years old and has some issues that need to be addressed. Some I knew before I paid for her and some caught me as a bit of a surprise.

Knew about:
Pretty worn seats, especially the drives - but EVERY car I looked at was the same. New seat covers are in the future.

HORRIBLE fuel smell in the cabin. Intermittent but there. I had the local Ford dealer look it over as a pre-sale (small town closest Jag dealer was hours away) and then had the PO's local guy check it over, nothing visibly wrong and no codes. Records show a repair for a code and a vacuum leak at the canister purge valve. Ordered a new valve and will do the TSB, hoping that is the fuel smell. Also keeping the tank near full seems to help.

Found out on the 3 hour drive home or since then after running some OBD diagnostics:
She has a lot of power - from an idle, but when I hit the gas hard while moving (30mph for example) it is actually quite slow. It starts up immediately hot or cold and responds nicely so I don't think compression is an issue (will check when I change plugs) but something is certainly amiss.

It smells like it is running very RICH. Could be related to the above. The long term fuel trims are between 11-16% on each bank so I know she is dumping in extra fuel. The O2 sensors appear to be responding a bit slow but still responding. The odd thing is that I only see 2 sensors (the 2nd) with my OCD Mindreader and Torque Pro. No codes on or pending so the computer isn't upset. Thinking a combination of tired O2 sensors and a vacuum leak.

The intake temps are HOT. I mean wow, on a 75 degree day driving along at 40mph the intake temps are 120 or so. The cone air filter has a small shield that is doing NOTHING to stop it from ingesting hot engine air. Factory air box is long gone so i need to figure out a way to isolate the air filter from the engine heat. Also want to check the intercooler. I can feel the pump running but with air increases that extreme I do wonder if the coolant is circulating or the cores are dirty.

Suspension is solid, but I feel some looseness and some thuds when I go over bumps. Suspect a bushing/balljoint project is in the future. Already have a message into Powerflex but not sure I want poly over rubber, I really don't want to lose the comfortable ride. Hoping the stock shocks are good, otherwise just going to standard XK8 shocks. Not dropping 1600 on shocks for the weekend toy.

Headlights - the PO installed a 2005 nose on the car which looks great but I noticed that the low beam headlights (outside projector looking ones) are on but do not throw ANY light out. I can almost stare right into the lens without hurting my eyes. I checked a few different bulbs and same thing. The car is still using the 2000 Halogen bulbs but I am wondering if the 05 had HID's and the lens might be different. The deflector plates between the lens and the bulb is the correct halogen plate and I even removed one side to see if that helped but no luck. Will need to noodle that one over a bit. Not loving having to use the brights when I drive at night.

Last and biggest problem is that my kids and I have sore cheek muscles because despite all the above, we can't stop smiling.

Overall, I LOVE this car. I graduated up from Fiat Spiders so the power and comfort are leaps and bounds better. I think I got a good deal (assuming the low-power issue is nothing major) but had I known I would be dropping another 2k in her, I might have pushed for a bit more off the price. Cest La Vis, at least I can do 99% of the work myself and save the Jag labor charges!

Open to any comments and suggestions and I'll keep tabs on the projects!

Last edited by Mjs128; 08-02-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:48 PM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mjs128,

(I've merged your two separate Intro threads)

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow this link XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Midwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-midwest-39/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 08-02-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Yes, that Is a common problem among new Jag owners, painful cheeks from Smiling so much! LOL

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 08-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Received 3,815 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:10 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Welcome.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 08-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Hjs128,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help