New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to the Jaguar world with a '94 XJ12

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Jaguar world with a '94 XJ12

Just today purchased 1994 XJ12. Cosmetically very fine. Mechanically seems very good, but...

1. Received, as a part of the purchase, a full set of 12 new injectors on used rails. On removing the old injectors some of the plastic on a few of the plugs broke when I removed the metal springs that clipped the plugs to the injectors. After replacing the injectors the engine idled much smoother. I am guessing there was a cylinder or two that weren't firing properly.
The sellor allowed me to come beck to his place and clip off the wiring harness with the injector plugs so that I can replace the plugs.
Question 1. Can I replace the plugs by clipping the wires, soldering the joints then covering the joints with some liquid plastic.?

2. Received, as a part of the purchase, a replacement pressure hose from the Power Steering Fluid reservoir to the P/S pump. On replacing the hose I lost almost all of the remaining P/S fluid. On the reservoir there is a label indicating I should use Dexron 2. Under the hood the is a large warning label saying to use Castrol Hydraulic fluid for all hydraulic fluids. Searching the Internet I have determined that Dexron 2 has been replaced by Dexron 3. In one post somewhere I found a reference to Hydraulic System Mineral Oil (HSMO). Finally, in a repair manual it says "All models use ATF Dexron-IID." I am not opposed to using ATF (Dexron 3) but the fluid that was in the reservoir was clear, as in without color. ATF is red.
Question 2. What should I use to replace the P/S fluid?

3. Received, as a part of the purchase, a used replacement vacuum controlled "switch" that allows hot engine cooling water to flow into the heater core. The one that was one the car was dripping a bit. When I replaced the "switch" I looked inside the old one and it looked like the plastic bit inside it had melted. This got me a little worried. It has always been my experience that if you have a car dripping cooling water you have a car that has, more than likely, overheated. The melted plastic seemed to confirm to me that there has been a heating issue at some time or other. When I went to the sellor to get the plugs I mentioned above I asked, offhandedly, if the car had ever overheated. He said not to his knowledge, and he seemed genuine.
Question 3. How can I ascertain if there is any problems with the engine that might have been caused by an overheating?

I should add the following.
On driving the car the 30 or so miles from the sellors home to mine the temperature never went up above the mid-point on the gauge. But, then, the coolant reservoir was a little more than half full when I left his home.

Also, the car ran really well. 25 of the miles was on I-5 with long open stretches and the car easily hit 100 mph with a lot of pedal still left.

The oil is clear. But almost suspiciously too clear. As if it had just been changed to hide the chocolate milkshake that occurs if cooling water gets into the oilpan.

Aside from the above questions it's a beautiful car. Sort of metallic maroon (is that an original Jaguar color?). The interior is off-white/tan (maybe?) It has a slight musty smell from some years of non-use (according to the sellor, due to an inability to comfortably enter the cabin after a serious surgery). I am planning to solve that with some serious cleaning this week.

My reason for getting this car is a road trip my wife and I are taking to Omaha in June. We wanted something that would be comfortable and a bit classy. The A/C in this XJ12 is amazing at 16+ years. The stereo is fine with its CD changer, and the cruise control works as expected. The plan is to sell it when we get back, but I am secretly hoping she will love the car and I'll get to keep it.

A final note: Doug Dwyer, if you see this post... I'm from Longview. '75 MM grad.

--Robert Booth

Old 05-31-2011, 05:42 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome to the forum Robert,

You should head on down to the XJ section to ask your technical questions, or if you know Doug, pop round and ask him!

The following users liked this post:
oddjobbob (06-01-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by oddjobbob
Question 1. Can I replace the plugs by clipping the wires, soldering the joints then covering the joints with some liquid plastic.?

Sure.

Question 2. What should I use to replace the P/S fluid?

I'd use Dex III but let's wait to hear from others before you take that to the bank. My knowledge on this model is limited.

Some variants of your car DID use a hydraulic system, needing mineral oil, for the adjustable rear suspension and power brake assist.....and possibly power steering? I'm not sure.

But it sounds to me like you have a conventional power steering system and jag (for reasons I've never fully known) always used auto trans fluid in those.

Question 3. How can I ascertain if there is any problems with the engine that might have been caused by an overheating?

If there's no awful clattering from a loose valve seat, that's a very good initial indication. :-). You can have a repair shop "sniff" the coolant with their exhuast gas analyzer to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant...the presence of which usually indicates a leaky head gasket or cracked head/block. Or, a DIY "Block Test Kit" will do the same thing....using a fluid that changes colors if it comes in contact will hydrocarbons. I bought such a kit from NAPA

Aside from the above questions it's a beautiful car. Sort of metallic maroon (is that an original Jaguar color?). The interior is off-white/tan (maybe?) It has a slight musty smell from some years of non-use (according to the sellor, due to an inability to comfortably enter the cabin after a serious surgery). I am planning to solve that with some serious cleaning this week.

Jaguar did indeed have such a color.

You've got yourself the top-of-the-line model. These are great cars but like all older Jags they need some love from time to time.

A final note: Doug Dwyer, if you see this post... I'm from Longview. '75 MM grad.

Hi :-)

I like it here well enough but my kids couldn't wait to leave...and I don't blame them. My oldest is now in Vancouver and my youngest is a college student up there in Seattle....and in her glory :-)

Cheers
DD

oddjobbob (06-01-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi Bob, welcome on to the forums....

You might find the off topic good for fun, maybe check out the mug shot thread and add yours?

Some really good guys and great techs, top vendors offering good pricing levels and great service, and more to come....all good

In the meantine you are upgraded to full forum access so you can better view the forum

oddjobbob (06-01-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

oddjobbob (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Thank Doug for the Block Testor info. I picked the kit up at NAPA and seems to be all good. I am a little reluctant to give it 100% positive because I was having to check at the expansion tank, the radiator not having a cap. But there was no other access. I did the test for several minutes rather than the single minute recommended in the test kit and the liquid stayed blue.

I still notice a small amount of steam coming form the exhaust that has me a bit worried. But for now I am allowing myself to believe I have ruled out serious engine block/head issues.

Thanks again.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums

Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Hello Robert and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.