New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

new member. first jag

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member. first jag

my stepdad just gave me his 88 xj6. its nothing special, just a decent driver. has some clearcoat peeling and a couple small rust places, but nothing that im worried about. it has 83k on it, its fair share of electrical issues, and a power steering leak, but all in all its not bad. its has new michelin hydro edge tires, battery, brakes, fuel pump, fan clutch, water pump, windshield... the previous owner put new leather interior in it about 4 years ago. thats about what i know about it. id like to try to get some of the electical issues fixed pretty soon. namely the dash. its doesnt light up unless you pound on it and it has numerous warning messages flashing. if anyone can give me any advice on anything with the car i would appreciate it. thanks, ian

Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the site dubaholic....Please check out the relevant section and hopefully some of our members with wayyy more experience and knowledge than I have can help you out

Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,844 Likes on 3,160 Posts

Ian, welcome to the site. If you are looking for information, this is probably about as good as you are going to get. As for the wiring issues, depending on what has been done to the car, it can be fairly easy to fix, it can be a real pain. It mainly depends on who did the install and whether they did things right or "good enough". If you are in the Maryland/Virginia/Delaware area, I would tell you to come on over to my place and I would be willing to look the car over and see what I can and can not fix. The dash issue sounds fairly easy to fix. Probably have a loose plug somewhere near the steering column (or where ever you find is the "sweet spot"). As for the various warning messages, you would need to be a little more specific than that to get some good help. If they are engine codes, there is normally a way that you can plug into the computer using an analog multimeter (not a digital one unless it is one of the upper end ones that has the bar graph on the bottom of the display to give you real time voltage). By connecting up the multimeter to the proper pin, it will pulse the code for you to read. Otherwise, your local auto parts stores have the EEC-IV code readers for like $30. Pick one up and it will give you the codes too. Just follow the instructions on how to read the codes.

LIke I started with, welcome to the site, check out the XJ6 section of the site and I am sure you will find lots of useful information there.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, you can use XJ40 Forums for further questions too

Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome Duba +1 with all the above.