New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member my story

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Red face New Member my story

Hello everyone. I'm a new Jag owner! I bought a 2000 XKR Platinum Coupe in nice condition and just love it. I found it on Autotrader and flew to Texas and drove it back. I have a story about freaking out as it wouldn't start when I stopped for gas a few times. I found the problem which others may have experienced. The wire on the starter solenoid terminal was so tight pulling from the harness, it broke the connector and the wire was just "touching" the terminal. I didn't do any research until after my purchase, and have since learned I must replace the secondary tensioners immediately. (I would still have bought it) It has 67k miles but is not making any noise at all. However, I guess I'm on borrowed time so I'm going to replace them. I am mechanically competent and will do the job myself. I found the article with pictures on how to do the "whole job", i.e. replace everything: primary and secondary chains, guides and tensioners. I am tempted to do it all versus just the secondary tensioners. What is the consensus, is it not necessary to replace everything? I will keep this car forever...I love it...and I was a Corvette guy (still have a 1962 Vette); but this is such a unique and special car to me...I see Vettes everyday..nothing special. Plus it is easier by far to get in and out of..I'm 57 and don't fold into cars as easily as I used to..and I love the plush/refined interior and rich walnut appointments. So maybe I need to post a new thread on this question...any tips will be appreciated. Guess I'm okay with the "Nikasil" engine as it starts and runs strong..will do a compression check to calm my fears there! Geez what a fiasco that was.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, that's a good idea to post a new thread about your question as this place is designed for welcoming and meeting new members
Congrats and enjoy your jag

Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum Steve, nice intro. How's about some pics, when you are able?

Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

Great story, great color on the XKR, and best state to buy it from!

I think I have said this to everyone, secondaries are the most important. If i had the same decision to make, I'd just do them and not touch the primaries. From all that i have read and heard about, between here and the UK, I've only heard of one primary failure. With those statistics, its not worth it to me to do that.

If she's not ticking on cold startup, you are probably safe to drive it once in awhile. If I heard the start of any noise, then I'd not start it up until I was sure they were changed out.

Good luck and congrats on the new purchase.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A fantastic car indeed. I eagerly await pictures!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome Steve,

Sounds like you are on the right track and will have some bonding time with your car.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome to the forum Steve. Good intro. I admire your ambition for going after both the primary & secondary tensioners. Think I'd just go for the secondary. You'll note special tools required for job. If you research the various posts, you'll see there are rental sets out there. This would seem to be a must. Enjoy your ride, I love mine (99xj8).
Ralph

Old 11-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Default Repsonses

Thank you everyone for responding..makes me feel like I'm part of the forum now...I talked to the guys MotorCars LTD..they have a good price on the timing kit and sell/rent the tools. I saw one posting of some pics showing how the guides for the primaries were cracked..which indicates they can break in time. Only problem is..to see it you have to pull the front cover, damper etc. If I do all that then I would replace them even if no signs of damadge. Since even a small block chevy timing chain stretches quite a bit after accumulating lots of miles, I'm going to do it all so I don't have to worry about it ever again. Lots more work and money, but as I said I will keep this car forever, and I see some members have 150,000 plus miles, so if the nikasil hasn't failed by now, then I hope to get that kind of life out of it too. Again thanks, this is a great forum and you are nice people.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Smile

I forgot to add I will take pictures and post them and learn how to attach them to my profile/garage (after the "probation period")....heck I haven't even done that to my Facebook yet...way too busy for too much "social networking".

Old 11-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

this forum is MUCH more fun than the social sites...I haven't updated my status in months.