New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New XJ6 owner from Idaho Falls, Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New XJ6 owner from Idaho Falls, Idaho

I just inherited a broken down, partially burned XJ6 and will be working on resurrecting it.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, XJ40 and General Tech Help will be a good source for popping up questions
Hope you get back to its nice days

Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the site, good to have you with us
I've upgraded you to FFA so you can access all the sites features.....enjoy the forum

Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome, and good luck with your project.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,844 Likes on 3,160 Posts

Ty, welcome to the forums. I think you will like it here. Lots of good info in these parts. I wish I was a bit closer, I would love to help tackle that wiring issue you have.

I spent some of my time in Idaho Falls. I was working out at the INELL plant. Granted, back then, I was in the Navy doing my time out on the prototype plant (gotta love the military putting a submarine in the middle of the desert and making it float, like that makes a lot of sense). I lived over on Bonneville Drive (little white house, like the 4th one from 1st Street. OH those were the good days. First place on my own, if only the walls could talk.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Burnt!!! wow your ambitious! Good for you. Keep everyone updated

Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Default Past two days progress.

Well, I got the crispy vacuum lines replaced. The previous owner replaced the rest of the burnt hoses. I also put together a list of parts I need to order. I got it all put together a with a few temporary fixes to see if it would run....the engine starts and seems to run okay.

Last edited by tycarpenter; 11-06-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good job, I'm doing the same stuff to my car. Have you posted any pics yet? Start a progress thread over in the XJ6 forums and keep it up.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Default Update

Wow, about three months have gone by since I started the crispy XJ6 project. Some of you may be wondering why I haven't posted any pics or updates.....well, it got cold and snowy just before Thanksgiving, I the project got put on back burner so I could shift gears and do some inside work on the basement since I don't have a heated garage to work on the car. It is finally starting to warming up enough melt the snow and I am getting closer to the finishing my work on the basement. I am really looking forward to getting back to work on the car in a couple weeks.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 PM

Now that summer finally decided to show up in Idaho and work has slowed down a enough to allow me some spare time, I am dying to dive back into my project. It has been so long I am going to have to dust off my parts list so I can get a few things order since I don't even remember everything I need. I look forward to keeping you all posted as I work and learn. I am sure to have a few questions along the way, though there is already a wealth of knowledge in this forum.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Default Progress Update

Well, I got back to work on the car. Here are some recently completed tasks:
Replaced Ball joints
Replaced throttle, kick down and cruise control cables
Transmission fluid and filter change
swapped out the burnt wiring harness on the passenger side
Got the power mirrors and all power windows and door locks working (I had some spare time while waiting for other parts and registration)

So the XJ6 is now ready for a road test.

The car seems to run pretty good, maybe just a little sluggish. I have a new fuel filter, but have not replaced it yet. Transmission shifts correctly.

The problem is that is seems to be getting too hot (110-120 C) after a short drive in cool Idaho weather. After some checking on the forum, I went with replacing the thermostat which was my first instinct. New thermostat didn't seem to help much, so on to the radiator.

Today I drained the radiator and flushed it out with a hose. Then added chemical and flushed it some more. A few chunks of build up, but not too bad. Radiator seems to flow good when I flush water through it. When the car and upper radiator hose are hot, the lower radiator hose is still cool, and the hoses feel like they are pressurized. The fins on the front of the radiator do not seem to be getting very hot.

The fan clutch appears to be working properly, the fan spins right up when the engine is revved.

At this point I think it could be the water pump or the coolant temp sensor. It is also possible the new thermostat is bad, so I was thinking of removing it and checking it. I am pretty sure it is not just a bad gauge. I don't have a external thermometer, but by touch it is pretty hot. The bypass hose is also very hot.

My experience with water pumps is that the weep or leak when they fail and there are no leaks. Is there a way to check the water pump? I need to do some more reading in my manual about how the temp sensor and sending unit work.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by tycarpenter; 10-08-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Check all the above mentioned but also check your fan clutch and I think your car is equipped with one. I recently experienced overheating off and on when driving my truck and found that the clutch was engaged when cold but when warm it would freewheel.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there David & welcome aboard, good to have you here with us here at JF

Sounds like you've made some good progress, thanks so much for the update.

Pleae be aware that this is the new memebr thread and rwally only intended for introductions.
Please post further details into the relevant section for your car.

Any useful information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, use the search facility etc, can be found here
Helpful_information

Check out the regional section for your area?
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum