New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Please to meet ya, glad to know ya!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Please to meet ya, glad to know ya!

My requisite intro: MY family owned anything but: Dad: Renault, Karman Ghia, muscle cars. Mom VW Bugs.

Me: (the past) '65 Slant six Valiant, Nash Rambler, 1950 International Harvester step van, Subaru, Honda, Ford van, Geo Storm, Ford Contour.

Me: (the present): '47 Kaiser, '48 Packard, '48 Pontiac convertible, '53 Bentley R-Type, and FINALLY, a 2005 Jag 4.2L S-Type!

So...it's pretty clear, I've got the sickness severely!

I've always wanted a Jag from when I visited my uncle in Boston when I was 14. He had a '38 Bentley and a 64 Jag S-Type that was an inspiration. Picture this: My uncle Jack (who was, with no hyperbole, a genius - first moon walk, one of his devices got dropped on the moon) asking 14 year old ME, "Teddy, what's wrong with this automotive design?" referring to a blueprint elevation of the '38 Bentley. "The trunk's too high," said I. "EXACTLY", he said. He was busily machining a new body for it out of aluminum. He was already done with the hand-and-lathe-crafted 1" thick SOLID WALNUT dash. And they said I was a chip off HIS block!

But I'd never forget the Jag. When Ford introduced the new S-Type, my excitement level was such that I might've traded my sexy girlfriend for one. She impressed me with her intelligence and sensitivity by leaving me. Here and now, many years later, and the Jag is finally mine! Somehow I figured it would initially be a Mark VII or a '64 S-Type like Uncle Jack's first, but I have no complaints - and the current gal in my life loves this grand ride as much as I do, so don't tell ME there's no poetry in life!

Al so as to say, great to be here; I'll be bending your ears with questions!
Thanks! --Doc.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome to the forum Ted,

Quite an eclectic collection of cars and an entertaining intro.
Let me be the first to say that we need to see pics, some of Uncle Jack too if you have them.
I'm happy to hear that you found your ideal car as well as a more appreciative girlfriend.

I had a quick squint at your website, looks interesting but obviously a work in progress, I can always use a good recipe!

Last edited by Norri; 10-20-2011 at 06:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dr.Cocktail (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Its pleased to be met Dr. Cocktail! Welcome to the forum. Quite the colorful intro, wish they were all like this!

I have to agree with norri, we gotta see the pictures!!

Loads of information in the FAQ's in the S Type Section. I happen to be an owner of one myself, well I do the maintenance on the wifeys Jag, does that count? I get to drive it when the talking gas gauge tells me its on empty, BTW thats something you don't want to do to these fine automobiles!

Enjoy all the site has to offer!

Dr.Cocktail (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Doc and welcome aboard the forum great to have you here with us.

Excellent intro thanks for sharing with us......You'll be made very welcome here, a real home away from home.

Please post pics when you can

Hope we can help with any issues / questions you may have

Some great guys here, top techs, good info and more than a few laughs here n there, so jump in and enjoy......

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site.......enjoy your time here

Dr.Cocktail (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, thanks VERY much! I'm honored by the short 'break-in' period!

Pics of my Jag & Bentley CAN be seen via my Garage, here. Shame the Garage only features the last car input, but if you click the sublink you can see the Jag there too. I posted a link to my eBay Garage as well where all 5 of my behemoths are on display. Here's how their system works: each car in one's virtual eBay garage is a separate link. I've sent them a request to allow a link to an entire user's garage, and we'll see how nimble they are about it. Till then, lemmee shot you all those links:

Jag: 2005 Jaguar S-Type "My Jag"
Bentley: 1953 Bentley R Type "My Bentley"
Kaiser: 1947 Kaiser Special "My Kaiser"
Packard: 1948 Packard Model 2201 "My Packard"
Pontiac: 1948 Pontiac Silver Streak "My Pontiac convertible"

If your webmaster/IT guy fixes the date range so to allow cars beginning earlier than 1950 models, I'll upload images of all here too!

Funny thing about the Jack shots....I'd meticulously scanned them in for his daughter Sarah and subsequently had both home computers (the tower and the laptop travel Mac) kick the bucket within weeks of one another - apparently losing those shots (between backups, I guess) so now I must again search out the old Instamatic shots (Jack doing Bentley work, his S-Type....even the retro-reflector left on the moon.... that last NOT a Kodak snapshot, but a high-quality NASA 8x10) which will take time and be a hassle, but obviously well-worth doing, even again. I'm flying to Portland, OR. tomorrow, so it'll be slow going until next week, but then we'll start having some fun! Thank you all again - I am surely looking forward to the knowledge and doubtlessly-lively repartee! Yours in 30 Weight -- Ted.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum Ted.

Great intro'. You have some mighty fine vehicles there.

Look forward to the 'Moon Shot', we don't get too many from up there.

Dr.Cocktail (10-21-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, welcome Dr. Cocktail - great story about your uncle -

Too bad I came across your post this week and not last, as I live in Portland and would have invited you by to check out my 1990 xjs which is in pretty sweet shape. I'm also a transplant from Mass.

Look fwd to seeing more pics and best of luck with the Jag, it's clearly in good compant!!

Cheers,

Stonehenge Kid

Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'company', of course - but the typo also gives me the chance to thank you for the chortle from your comment above re: how your ex showed her wits by leaving you - very funny line. Glad you have the correct gal, now!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Doc. Excellent intro!