New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

sorta new owner-delayed introduction

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sorta new owner-delayed introduction

Ok- so I should have done this three months ago when I originally joined and got my car. I have always driven American cars (a Cadillac, then a Lincoln, then a Cadillac, then a Lincoln), but my father worked for a paper mill that produced the paper that Jaguar sales brochures are printed on.

He would bring home samples of things that their paper was used for, and on day a brochure for the 1991 jaguar xj series made its way home. Although I was only 12 at the time, I thought it was the most beautiful car I had ever seen, and I wore out that brochure reading all the stats and drooling over the pics. I always vowed to work hard so I could get one someday.

When It came time to replace my Mark VIII, I watched ebay for almost a full year to get an idea of cost, major problems, etc. Then my neighbor, who is a used car dealer from whom I have purchased my last two cars, drove home in what was soon to become my car, a 1998 xj8-l. (this was how he got me into the mark VIII, too) I saw it even before it was detailed, and the condition was amazing!

He gave me an excellent deal on the car, and I love it! The quality of the materials and the construction are incredible, I am always noticing some new thoughtful detail. no issues yet (knock on burled walnut wood) . The only thing I noticed that is dissapointing in comparison to earlier xj's I've seen is that the grain of the veneer is much less distinct and highly figured (at least on mine) It seems that the older cars used a better quality wood or that the craftsman were more careful in selecting the grain patterns.

Anyways, to not end on a negative note, I am thoroughly enjoying this car and I love this forum!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome ( a delayed one as well )
As for the wood veneer quality I don't think that XJ8's wood trim is less quality over earlier models , my XJ40's wood also discolored but after refurbishing, it went back to the factory condition

Old 09-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy Cadrad

Welcome to the forum! I love the story of how you got to Jag land. Everyone has a cool one.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cadillac-
thanks for the greeting ! In regards to the wood, it's not so much the finish quality(which is very high) as the actual grain, it isn't as highly Burled as it seems to be on the earlier cars-

Old 09-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  19.3 KB

Cadrad, welcome to the site....what a great intro ( delayed or not )
Sounds like you're the type of member who will love n cherish their car!
There are some really knowledgable members / techs on here for those models too that can alos usually help with spare parts at really good prices that could save you $$$

If ya got em....post em

Old 09-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, welcome to the forums, I loved the story.